twin turbo questions... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

twin turbo questions...

i'm currently about to start building a 383 stroker,i'm starting with a bare cast iron block,i'm wantin to do a twin turbo set up on it but i have no idea were to begin i've never done turbo's are superchargers i've always heard that you need to have a very strong bottom end,i plan on making it a street car running on 93 octane an i'm wantin to try an get atleast 750hp if possible if you would please give me any suggestions you have an is it possible that i can get that kind of power an still drive it everyday all day...thanks michael

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 AM

Last photo:

Hope you have a hefty pocket book.... Good luck with your build..
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Psychomotors

Go to Theturboforums.com They will be able to help you with any question you might or will have.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
an is it possible that i can get that kind of power an still drive it everyday all day...
Ayuh,... At 750hp, that's abit Doubtful....
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 AM

well the only reason i asked if i can drive it everyday i've been looking on youtube a "nelson racing engines" he is makin 1500 hp daily driver on 91 octane so i know it's not doubtful i know i can do it i just need to know about the turbo's more than anything cause i have no clue about them....thank though guys for the help
Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 AM

you should get an expert
Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjo572
well the only reason i asked if i can drive it everyday i've been looking on youtube a "nelson racing engines" he is makin 1500 hp daily driver on 91 octane so i know it's not doubtful i know i can do it i just need to know about the turbo's more than anything cause i have no clue about them....thank though guys for the help
Those nelson racing engine use everything aftermarket. There won't be any stock parts on there. Thats why your gonna be looking at around $40,000-50,000. For 750hp every day as a dd get an aftermarket block. You will have a much better chance of it staying together and will never have to worry about it poping.

My machinist always buys aftermarket blocks off racingjunk.com that had a main cap or a couple sleeves get messed up. So he fixes them and ends up getting a nice aftermarket block for about $750.

My question is are you assembling this motor together yourself?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

that and they're posting daily driver like driveablility, but do you really think anyone spending $40K on an engine is driving it daily? Secondly, I'd bet that if they do get a lot of miles on them, if they are pushed hard regularly also they also get rebuilt regularly. I know people that have insane fast DD's that get torn down every off season and redone.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

At 750hp your parts are going to wear fast. You can get their with some mild stuff that can take 100,000 miles or more, but things like rings, bearings, and the block will become worn at a much more rapid pace.

Your top end can be built to last for near forever at that power level, from cam to air cleaner, but the short block will need freshening. To get the least amount of wear from your parts plan on spending some money for a top notch block, really good rings, bearings, and oiling, and assembly. I'd look at running about 15psi of boost and about 8:1 compression with some good cylinder heads (nothing factory).

If you insist on running a factory block I would stick with a 3.48" stroke, a 6" rod, and do a half fill- it'll help minimize ring, piston, and bore wear.

I wouldn't go any more than .030" if you have to run a stock block and use the standard thickness piston rings with chrome facing on top and moly on bottom. Total Seal can set you up with a good set. I'd call Probe for a good forged piston at a decent price. Forged Mahle's are good too but they usually require their own rings.

EFI will be a requirement if you want to extend the durability, I would use a hydraulic roller cam since its on the street, something mild for duability (no more than .550" lift with 1.6 rockers). Also, there's no need to spin it over 6,000 RPM.

Keep in mind behind the engine you'll need a 2-3 thousand dollar transmission, a $500 driveshaft, and a $1500 differential. You'll also need to set aside another $500 each for fuel and cooling systems. If you want it to hook that will be another 2 grand on suspension and tires.

Make sure this car is worth dropping another $15,000 in before you start.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 AM

thanks alot guys for all the help i do plan on dropping alot of money into i've decided not to build it myself cause of all the stuff i don't know but i'll be at the shop everyday watching it an i plan on puttin in the new lenco street/strip tranmission with the motor it's guranteed to hold up to 1500hp plus i've had lencos before an i love them but i will definately post yall some pics on everything...but i thank yall so much for all the insight an great help yall gave me...thanks again michael...
Old 01-08-2011, 01:51 AM

Last photo:

lenco....coolest transmission ever. Would die to have one of those in a street car, get so many odd looks when people see all those levers sticking out of the floor!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 AM

EXACTLY!!!!! o want it for the reliability plus of how wicked it's gonna look ina daily driver.....
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Let's break this down.
1. Turbo's on a chevy v8? Gotta go with a supercharger.
2. Twin turbo? Overkill. You won't be able to run very much boost anyway so you might as well just use a single one.
3. 750 hp in a daily driver is ridiculous, it'll never last.
4. This about gas mileage, maintenance, reliability, engine life, and mostly cost $$$.

Turbos are complicated. They require oil lines, blow off valves, intercoolers, and other crap.
Blowers are simple. No oil lines, no blowoff valves, no coolers, no tubes running everywhere, no connecting it to the exhaust. Just slap it on top and go.

With what you would pay to make a twin turbo 383, you could build a blown 454 and have more power, reliability, and simplicity, all for a fraction or the price.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

and get that awesome whine that you get with a blower!

although, turbo v-8's do sound wicked too.

Twins is too much, unless you run small turbos. Running a single turbo would be better for the street than twins, cause its HALF the lines, pipes, tubes. A single turbo would feed a sbc pretty easily IMO. With some head studs and GOOD head gaskets you could run some pretty good boost, but there goes your reliability and durability.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.