Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - twin turbo sbc 383 help
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 12:35 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorownage
please point out one of my posts that was in error. *most* of my information has been sourced from others.
I'd be GLAD to!!! Remember- YOU asked for it...

Regarding whether or not to use an OEM 4-bolt SBC block or a converted 2-bolt block, I originally said:
Quote:
2-bolt block w/splayed caps is the preferred way to go about it!
Then brainiac (Duh... how does all that oil get there on my cylinder walls?) pipes up w/the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorownage
2 bolt mains dont have enough area to keep cap walk from happening.

i dont say this...Nelson from nelson racing engines says this...
And- (this is in reference to a 2-bolt cap vs. a 4-bolt splayed cap)
Quote:
He says the caps have more area to contact the block, and are therefore more stable and less likely to walk. With two more extra holes in the caps, there is just not enough contact area between the block and the cap.
He does, does he? I SERIOUSLY doubt Mr. Nelson has ever said any such thing!!!

Provide a link to this info. I looked and see nothing on it. BTW, I'm following this up by forwarding this BS to Nelson- just for grins.

I think you have (yet again) f-ed up by mistaking a 400 OEM 4-bolt block and its supposed weaknesses for an OEM 350 block (two totally different castings, there DA), or have otherwise misrepresented Nelson- who I'd imagine would give you a bi-ch slap for that infraction- I know I would.

For your viewing pleasure, I submit the following:

2-BOLT OEM BLOCK

4-BOLT OEM BLOCK

4-BOLT SPLAYED CAP OEM BLOCK Using Milodon Caps

4-BOLT SPLAYED CAP FULL WIDTH REGISTER BOW TIE BLOCK

4-BOLT SPLAYED CAP DART BLOCK

Surely, even a know-nothing, google professor such as yourself can plainly see the difference in clamping area provided by a splayed cap conversion of a 2-bolt OEM block over a stock 2-bolt OEM block or a stock 4-bolt OEM block.

You see junior, the whole idea here is to provide ACCURATE info. To do otherwise compromises this forum's credibility. And that's something I will not stand for from you. Too many guys have put too much work into this place to let someone like YOU soil it w/your misinformation.

Consider yourself served.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-23-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Add Bow Tie photo.