twin turbo sbc 383 help - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 AM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
That takes the fun out of "building my first muscle motor".
Just build you a radical big block

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Lol finally faith. Is there any way to get in contact with them to find out what their build list is? I'm in between right now, I'm not sure if I want to just stay at a 355 and drop it in my 89 pickup I just restored, or if I want to unload my bank account to build a beast.
I'll see what I can do.

Personally, I would say give the block to a (trusted!!!) engine builder, and he'll put you together a very street-able sbc with out braking the bank. (Probably around 2k)

You will have a ride that makes horsepower in the 400's. Then, take your time and slowly piece by piece build your behemoth.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

okay i am gonna chime in here cause i have been playing with hondas and sbcs for the past couple years. first off building an import is nothing like building a v8. its not as easy to build a v8. its not slap on a turbo kit and swap out stocki nternals for h beams. there is pin heights rd lengths and different stroke cranks. okay, who r u having make you a ohc vvt setup for a sbc? and whos gonna custom grind your cam. if you are really gonna make a 1000hp sbc block video tape the dyno pulls so we can watch it. a sbc block isnt like a b18 where you just have diffferent sleeves installed and then h beams and forged pistons and you have a 1000+hp short block. i would say shoot for 650-700hp and you will be very impressed. all my import friends that ride in my 325hp v8 love the low rpm pull and like that you dont need to spin it to 6000+rpm to make poewer. if u really want help ill do what i can i have turned into a turbo junkie myself, but 1000hp is a time bomb waiting to happen. look around racingjunk.com for aftermarket blocks and find one that needs a couple sleeves or a new maincap and a line bore and then find a good machinist. this is how my machinist gets his blocks. he finds ones that are messed up and spend a little extra cash to fix it up.

Last edited by zildjian4life218; 07-13-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
But really, what is the name of the shop who says "Do it"?
Never got an answer. I wonder why.

NOT! LOL

So, let us recap.

First: gonna build a world beater 1000HP 14 psi boosted, VVT-equipped SBC and not no one is gonna stand in his way!

To now: asking what cast crank to build a beater truck engine with.

Guys, there's a word for this type of thing. I'll leave it at that. (*cough*troll*cough*)
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian4life218
okay i am gonna chime in here cause i have been playing with hondas and sbcs for the past couple years. first off building an import is nothing like building a v8. its not as easy to build a v8. its not slap on a turbo kit and swap out stocki nternals for h beams. there is pin heights rd lengths and different stroke cranks. okay, who r u having make you a ohc vvt setup for a sbc? and whos gonna custom grind your cam. if you are really gonna make a 1000hp sbc block video tape the dyno pulls so we can watch it. a sbc block isnt like a b18 where you just have diffferent sleeves installed and then h beams and forged pistons and you have a 1000+hp short block. i would say shoot for 650-700hp and you will be very impressed. all my import friends that ride in my 325hp v8 love the low rpm pull and like that you dont need to spin it to 6000+rpm to make poewer. if u really want help ill do what i can i have turned into a turbo junkie myself, but 1000hp is a time bomb waiting to happen. look around racingjunk.com for aftermarket blocks and find one that needs a couple sleeves or a new maincap and a line bore and then find a good machinist. this is how my machinist gets his blocks. he finds ones that are messed up and spend a little extra cash to fix it up.
he was talking about adjustable ratio rockers...not the same thing as honda vtec. You cannot adjust on the fly the ratio...

Nelson Raceing Engines is building a dual overhead cam 32 valve sbc, but that is the only outfit I have heard that is doing it.

If ya want dohc v8, go with a 4.6L ford

Building a v8 is easier? lol bud we have to deal with rod length and compression height too. Just 2x everything =D
Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorownage
he was talking about adjustable ratio rockers...not the same thing as honda vtec. You cannot adjust on the fly the ratio...

Nelson Raceing Engines is building a dual overhead cam 32 valve sbc, but that is the only outfit I have heard that is doing it.

If ya want dohc v8, go with a 4.6L ford

Building a v8 is easier? lol bud we have to deal with rod length and compression height too. Just 2x everything =D
i said building a v8 isnt as easy as building a 4cyl. that block from nelson racing is gonna be way too expensive for any mainstream individual to afford. its a great idea though but will never be practical. i do agree though with if u want a ohc v8 go with the ford modular engines.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian4life218
i said building a v8 isnt as easy as building a 4cyl. that block from nelson racing is gonna be way too expensive for any mainstream individual to afford. its a great idea though but will never be practical. i do agree though with if u want a ohc v8 go with the ford modular engines.
not just ohc, dohc!

plus all the blocks are good for 1000hp plus. (Except the windsor aluminum junk)
Old 07-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorownage
not just ohc, dohc!

plus all the blocks are good for 1000hp plus. (Except the windsor aluminum junk)
yeah i heard of a lot of people making over 1000+. i wana put a twin turbo dohc 4.6 in a ranger. i see a lot more sohc at the yard but every now and then the 4 cam dohc ones r there.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

Ok your calling me a troll for not being sure on what kind of motor I want to build my first sbc out of. Second its not an overhead cam setup either, I'm going to be using the compcams variable lifters and an adjustable roller rocker arm to get the valve lift variation (1000 to about 3000rmp 1/2 lift, 3000+rmp full lift with a 10% variation depending on the demand of the motor). Name of the shop, muscleheads, google it, its literally right across I35e from me. Thanks for reminding me about that I gotta go pick up my cam from them. Dyno pulls; when I actually get this all together and find a dyno (I've only lived in texas for 3 weeks) it'll be done. Even if I don't hit the numbers I want, I can still say " well I built my first v8, and it runs, congrats to me". I don't get why most people on here are so arrogant and quick to tell me I can't accomplish anything I want out of this, when NONE of you have attempted it yourselves.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok your calling me a troll for not being sure on what kind of motor I want to build my first sbc out of. Second its not an overhead cam setup either, I'm going to be using the compcams variable lifters and an adjustable roller rocker arm to get the valve lift variation (1000 to about 3000rmp 1/2 lift, 3000+rmp full lift with a 10% variation depending on the demand of the motor). Name of the shop, muscleheads, google it, its literally right across I35e from me. Thanks for reminding me about that I gotta go pick up my cam from them. Dyno pulls; when I actually get this all together and find a dyno (I've only lived in texas for 3 weeks) it'll be done. Even if I don't hit the numbers I want, I can still say " well I built my first v8, and it runs, congrats to me". I don't get why most people on here are so arrogant and quick to tell me I can't accomplish anything I want out of this, when NONE of you have attempted it yourselves.
First off my apologies on the ohc vvt comment. I didn't read that you were using the variable lifters. secondly I am sure more people on here would rather see you put a bunch of money into an aftermarket block and succeed at building your first v8 then see a stock block come apart on you. We have all seen numerous stock blocks come apart way before 1000hp. So LISTEN to what people have said. Unless you want a pile of junk parts just man up and get an aftermarket block if you want 1000hp.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok your calling me a troll for not being sure on what kind of motor I want to build my first sbc out of.
Bull ****. What you said was you had a stock block that was so "strong" that it broke the tooling while boring it(!??!), that you were going to build a VVT set-up using "variable lifters" as the central component, you were going to use twin turbochargers at "15-20" PSI boost w/this OEM block casting, and you were going to do this w/a stock "(port and polish of course)" GM factory TPI.

I didn't first type that- YOU did. And to me, that qualifies you as a troll (or flamer, take your pick)- especially after arguing repeatedly how you can do it and we (those who disagreed) were all just haters if we disagreed w/this folly, how I and others were just wrong, wrong, wrong (although NOW it would seem you've changed your "tune" [HA-HA] radically since the first post) and you've not stopped backpedaling YET.

Quote:
I'm going to be using the compcams variable lifters and an adjustable roller rocker arm to get the valve lift variation (1000 to about 3000rmp 1/2 lift, 3000+rmp full lift with a 10% variation depending on the demand of the motor).
There's not going to be a 1/2 lift variation in lift, nor would you even want there to be. At anything above an idle, the engine will need a lot more than 1/2 lift (unless you're using a HUGE cam)to make any power- unless you're still fantasizing about 14 psi boost levels in a stock block. In which case the lift 1/2 or not will be the very LEAST of your concerns.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
do NOT run those lifters. Dont you see what compcams says? Limited street use...
If you use this on your daily driver, you will be running through lifters like they are free.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Don't let haters put you down. You CAN build a 1000hp sbc with a 4 bolt block.

You don't need all the fancy lifters and such. A moderate cam will do, especially with turbos.

forged internals (go with american ie oliver rods and ohio crank, lunati, etc, not eagle crap), billet caps, and a girdle.
moderate cam-do NOT go crazy! Boost will hold your torque curve long after it has left its power range.

http://members.jasnetworks.net/mjsit...T/BudgetTT.htm

these guys did a 10 second twin turbo car with less than 1k. Check it out =D
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Name of the shop, muscleheads, google it
Well, I did one better than googleing it- I just got off the phone [(972) 434-5800] w/the guy. Seems like a good dude.

Would it surprise you to hear that HIS take on your little twin turbo project is a "bit" (lol) different than your representation of his involvement w/the project?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Well, I did one better than googleing it- I just got off the phone [(972) 434-5800] w/the guy. Seems like a good dude.

Would it surprise you to hear that HIS take on your little twin turbo project is a "bit" lol different than your representation of his involvement w/the project?
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.