twin turbo sbc 383 help - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh I knowit can be done. Really only 1 of 2 things can happen here. Either this build will succeed and pull great numbers on the dyno, and everyone that told me it wouldn't work will feel like a *******. Or this motor will blow on the dyno and ill feel like a *******. I just got back from muscle heads and they told me "if your unsure about your build get in contact with bill calvertson of calvertsons automotive and let him guide you. It can be done. We are pushing 16 psi through an OEM cast aluminum viper block, why can't you push atleast 12 through an OEM 4 bolt cast iron block?" Like I said only 1 of 2 things can happen on this build.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Yea his take is a "bit different" he wants me to use a set of vortec heads because he said they are basically 2.02 heads and I can pick them up for about 400$ instead of using dart heads. He also told me to make sure I beef up the bottom end and I shouldn't have a problem.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
Yea his take is a "bit different" he wants me to use a set of vortec heads because he said they are basically 2.02 heads and I can pick them up for about 400$ instead of using dart heads. He also told me to make sure I beef up the bottom end and I shouldn't have a problem.
Vortec heads are NOT 2.02 heads. The L31 Vortec has 1.94" x 1.5" valves.

What the man said to me will remain confidential unless you force my hand on this whole 25 psi twin turbo TBI FARCE- that has now conveniently (and wisely- at least you're heading in the right direction) downplayed and sidestepped into a 12 psi deal. Keep moving in that direction and soon you will actually have a plan that has a decent chance of success for a first-time V8 SBC build.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Oh I knowit can be done. Really only 1 of 2 things can happen here. Either this build will succeed and pull great numbers on the dyno, and everyone that told me it wouldn't work will feel like a *******. Or this motor will blow on the dyno and ill feel like a *******. I just got back from muscle heads and they told me "if your unsure about your build get in contact with bill calvertson of calvertsons automotive and let him guide you. It can be done. We are pushing 16 psi through an OEM cast aluminum viper block, why can't you push atleast 12 through an OEM 4 bolt cast iron block?" Like I said only 1 of 2 things can happen on this build.
who cares what a viper block can handle? your not building a viper engine.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

He didn't say they are 2.02 heads, he said they are basically 2.02. Basically meaning close. And who said anything about 25psi, if you read I said 15 was my GOAL. Also he is not building this motor for me, I have just been in contact with him for help, because as I said this is the first motor I have worked on with more than 6 cylinders.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I wonder how much thought has actually gone into ANY of this, but just to mention the obvious- the engine, while a big part of any project- pales in comparison to what's needed by way of suspension and driveline and brakes and safety to bring a 1000 HP deal to fruition.

Let's say you have a 1000 HP twin turbo stock block double throw-down, ready-for-all-comers engine all built, dynoed, tuned and ready.

Do you have ANY idea of how to build and tune a RWD platform like that weak-kneed 3rd. gen f-car to handle that kind of power? Or any clue as to just how weak the diff is?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
He didn't say they are 2.02 heads, he said they are basically 2.02. Basically meaning close. And who said anything about 25psi, if you read I said 15 was my GOAL. Also he is not building this motor for me, I have just been in contact with him for help, because as I said this is the first motor I have worked on with more than 6 cylinders.
what he prolly meant was that they basically flow the same as a 2.02 head. which tells you they did a good job on the port design. but again though just because some late model dodge block can handle so much hp doesnt mean that a 1970s chevy block can.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

Hard Blok is your friend.

Full fill the OEM block to strengthen it and use main studs and girdle??

A cost analysis of new aftermarket compared to the OEM build-up might make the decision for you.

This is what I might do if it were my $ but I am not qualified to offer much else. This advice is worth what you paid for it. Good Luck.

I would consider following your lead, maybe not to 1000hp, but at least part way there.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
He didn't say they are 2.02 heads, he said they are basically 2.02. Basically meaning close.
I doubt HE said any such thing, other than they flow well. A 2.02 head is just that. A Vortec is not a 2.02" valved head, period.

But why am I messing w/ANY of this? Because some other newbie might come along and read your drivel and waste more time and forum involvement on a worthless objective, were someone not to step up and point out the obvious and manifold flaws w/the whole project- as you first argued it.

Now, personally, I do not give two ****s what YOU do. But the next guy that wanders on here does not deserve to be misled by your obviously under-researched, over-the-top, untenable "build".

Lower your sights to a NA build to see if you can screw a SBC together w/o catastrophic failure. If you're successful after fixing the inevitable goof-ups that come w/any first-time build, then raise the bar to something higher.

There has never been a truer statement that "You first must walk before you can run".
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedy64
Full fill the OEM block to strengthen it and use main studs and girdle??
Then what? You now have a drag race-only engine that will overheat just seeing a highway, let alone driving down one.

Quote:
I would consider following your lead, maybe not to 1000hp, but at least part way there.
Yeah. That's the plan.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

Hard Blok

oops, half filled block is what I meant to say.

I run a half-fill and no problems so far but it hasn't been much of a summer yet.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I wonder how much thought has actually gone into ANY of this, but just to mention the obvious- the engine, while a big part of any project- pales in comparison to what's needed by way of suspension and driveline and brakes and safety to bring a 1000 HP deal to fruition.

Let's say you have a 1000 HP twin turbo stock block double throw-down, ready-for-all-comers engine all built, dynoed, tuned and ready.

Do you have ANY idea of how to build and tune a RWD platform like that weak-kneed 3rd. gen f-car to handle that kind of power? Or any clue as to just how weak the diff is?
I wish you would take the time to actually read and understand what i have been saying. THIS IS MY FIRST V8 BUILD. I know the tranny isnt going to withstand it, i know the rear end isnt going to withstand it. I have been doing research on this as well. I KNOW i am going to need subframe connectors, torsion bars, probably going to go with blistein suspension with oversized sway bars, strut tower connectors. As i get farther into the build ill realize that what all i need to make this come together. But right now im not to that point... If you dont agree with my build then you dont have to sit here and slam everything i want to do. This build is only an experiment, if it fails oh well, if i crack the block oh well, if you dont agree with it OH WELL
Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

As someone once said about Ronald Regans SDI or "star wars" plan

"this is all just sophisticated nonsense"
Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Here's your kit

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-products.cfm
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
I wish you would take the time to actually read and understand what i have been saying. THIS IS MY FIRST V8 BUILD. I know the tranny isnt going to withstand it, i know the rear end isnt going to withstand it. I have been doing research on this as well. I KNOW i am going to need subframe connectors, torsion bars, probably going to go with blistein suspension with oversized sway bars, strut tower connectors. As i get farther into the build ill realize that what all i need to make this come together. But right now im not to that point... If you dont agree with my build then you dont have to sit here and slam everything i want to do. This build is only an experiment, if it fails oh well, if i crack the block oh well, if you dont agree with it OH WELL
Torsion bars??!?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.