twin turbo sbc 383 help - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Torsion bars??!?
Yes Im going to use a torsion setup in the rear of the car, no need for a smooth ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
I wish you would take the time to actually read and understand what i have been saying. THIS IS MY FIRST V8 BUILD. I know the tranny isnt going to withstand it, i know the rear end isnt going to withstand it. I have been doing research on this as well. I KNOW i am going to need subframe connectors, torsion bars, probably going to go with blistein suspension with oversized sway bars, strut tower connectors. As i get farther into the build ill realize that what all i need to make this come together. But right now im not to that point... If you dont agree with my build then you dont have to sit here and slam everything i want to do. This build is only an experiment, if it fails oh well, if i crack the block oh well, if you dont agree with it OH WELL

I'm cheering you on bud! Surprise all these bs slingers here =D
Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM

this has turned into a interesting thread. but cobalt is right, someone new might come on here and actually think this is something that can be done, and blow 40k on it and start it up and see all his money going up in smoke.

it really seems like you havent done enough research on this project to come on here and throw numbers and ideas out, your not really asking factual questions that someone could answer based on information you are providing.

i am a ford guy myself, but there are alot of guys on here that know way to much about these chevy engines.

why dont you just build yourself a nice 500 hp V8 engine for your first one, which is an extremly powerful engine, and i mean 500 at the rear wheels and run it until the wheels fall off, and then go from there. you might realize that this intial high your getting from a tt setup was way out of reality.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Anyway, getting back to the engine, specifically the block.

Imsport referenced a site, Gale Banks. One of the very best for turbo applications, bar none. GB is who I had hoped you were going to say you were consulting with, but I digress...

Here's what Banks has to say- in part- about the block for his SBC builds:

From the site referenced above-
Quote:
Engine Block
The 4.125" bore custom block is built to Banks' specs by Dart. It is cast from a high nickel alloy and is equipped with splayed main caps and ARP head studs for superior strength.
From elsewhere on the site-
Quote:
Bigger engines add power, but turbocharging bigger engines really gets the job done. Happily, there’s more good news associated with turbocharging the small-block Chevy V8, and almost all of it comes down to durability. To begin, the performance industry offers a variety of high-strength cylinder blocks in both iron and aluminum. Thicker main webs and four-bolt main caps are just what a turbocharged engine needs. Next, the small-block Chevy uses five head bolts or studs surrounding each cylinder to help secure head gaskets. And of course, the aftermarket has a variety of premium head gaskets too. Then there are other heavy-duty parts readily available, such as forged crankshafts, forged connecting rods, forged pistons, special piston pins, and premium rings and bearings.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM

lol... cobalt pretty soon you will have enough information on this subject to build one yourself.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72highboy390
lol... cobalt pretty soon you will have enough information on this subject to build one yourself.
Nah, I'm a BS slinger. I'm here to learn from majoroweage and the other one. LOL
Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes Im going to use a torsion setup in the rear of the car, no need for a smooth ride.
Torsion bars on a solid axle?!?!?! I call BS. Or did you mean sway bars? A twin turbo SBC can certainly make 1000hp, but the skills, knowledge and money required are significant and specialized. I see no problem doing the engine for $16,000 and the turbo setup for $9,000, not including fuel supply components. And that would be with a $2000 Bowtie block. Figure $3000 to put it in the car. Then start on the driveline.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM

show me where it says you CANT run a tt 1000hp stock block sbc. Anything can be done with enough money and ingenuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Nah, I'm a BS slinger. I'm here to learn from majoroweage and the other one. LOL
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorownage
Don't let haters put you down. You CAN build a 1000hp sbc with a 4 bolt block.

You don't need all the fancy lifters and such. A moderate cam will do, especially with turbos.

forged internals (go with american ie oliver rods and ohio crank, lunati, etc, not eagle crap), billet caps, and a girdle.
moderate cam-do NOT go crazy! Boost will hold your torque curve long after it has left its power range.

http://members.jasnetworks.net/mjsit...T/BudgetTT.htm

these guys did a 10 second twin turbo car with less than 1k. Check it out =D
"I'm cheering you on bud! Surprise all these bs slingers here =D"

OK so were is the BS coming from?

The fastest to date time slip for this capri is 10.44 sec at 132MPH, if that car weighs in at say 3300 lbs, then we are talking about 575HP at the wheels give or take, this 351TT motor is not even from the same junk yard as the 1000 HP SBC he is trying to build, in other words the BS is being slung from some where else.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM

It's just a story of ingenuity. When's the last time someone built a 10 second car for less than 1k?

Oh and by the way, with the intercooler it's in the 9's
Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorownage
show me where it says you CANT run a tt 1000hp stock block sbc. Anything can be done with enough money and ingenuity.
Were you not the brainiac who does not even know how the cylinder walls of an engine are lubricated?

If I were you, I'd be careful who you call out.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

"Thicker main webs and four-bolt main caps are just what a turbocharged engine needs."

Hmmm I already have a 4 bolt main motor.... That i plan on sending off to be machined to use studs instead of main bolts... And upgrading my main caps. So bottom end, done...

If everyone is so hell bent on deterring me from my build, how would you like to see this motor built? I want parts list, hp+tq numbers, and approx cost.

The block is already a 355...

Here it is, have at it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	46723  

Last edited by bipolar_camaro; 07-13-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
If everyone is so hell bent on deterring me from my build, how would you like to see this motor built?
I would LOVE it if you "built" this thing. Gotta grow that economy, and everyone knows about a fool and his money- best that it go back into the speed part industry. lol
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Refer back to my post #21, its a Gale Banks engineered SBC at 1100HP, call him for a price. You may not get an exact parts list from anyone cause you can't seem to get over the OEM block hurdle which has us shaking our heads and it has also haulted all effective support from coming your way.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Hmmm I already have a 4 bolt main motor.... That i plan on sending off to be machined to use studs instead of main bolts... And upgrading my main caps. So bottom end, done...
PLEASE!?! Stop it, you are killing me! ROF

Are you REALLY so clueless that you'd send out an OEM 4-bolt block for caps, studs and a line bore and hone???

Even the rankest beginner knows that a 2-bolt block w/splayed caps is the preferred way to go about it! LOL

Just because you have this ultra-tough OEM 4-bolt block that breaks tooling w/it's amazing metallurgy, DOES NOT make it what is needed.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.