twin turbo sbc 383 help - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

even if the engine was built and everything went good. if you are talking 1000hp at the rear wheels of an f body it would literally snap in half. there is to much twist in this setup, tieing things in would help but not sure it would hold together. do you have an unlimited budget and this is just something to play with? because you know its going to cost a rediculas amount of money to have anything strength match the 1000hp at the tires. and i dont think the f-body is a good choice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
YOU, my friend, are the one who jumped up on a soap box proclaiming to one and all that you were gonna do this, gonna do that, and telling me and anyone else who dared to question you, that basically we were all wrong- all "haters" (w/no help, you being egged on by this majoroweage piece of... work), and that you could do anything you damned well pleased, physics and common sense be damned.

If, instead, you'd have come on here and asked questions instead of making grandiose statements, your reception (from ME, at least) would have been MUCH different.

alright, well if i have been in error anywhere in the post, please notify me. All my information has been correct to my knowledge, and most of it sourced.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorownage
Arp hardware and 2 bolt studs. He says the caps have more area to contact the block, and are therefore more stable and less likely to walk. With two more extra holes in the caps, there is just not enough contact area between the block and the cap.
With a splayed 4-bolt cap, the register for the cap is lengthened to provide more surface area than what a 2-bolt cap has. The register is lengthened the same amount that the 4-bolt splayed cap is longer, in other words.

While using ANY OEM block for high HP builds is risky, I don't see a stud and 2-bolt cap comparing favorably to a splayed 4-bolt studded cap.

Now, if you were talking about a 400 SBC...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
With a splayed 4-bolt cap, the register for the cap is lengthened to provide more surface area than what a 2-bolt cap has. The register is lengthened the same amount that the 4-bolt splayed cap is longer, in other words.

While using ANY OEM block for high HP builds is risky, I don't see a stud and 2-bolt cap comparing favorably to a splayed 4-bolt studded cap.

Now, if you were talking about a 400 SBC...
Hey im just relaying info I learned from Nelson...he's a pretty cool dude. Check out his youtube channel. Very informative
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
Yes that is what i ment to say.

And you sir are exactly the prime example of the reason Im not even sure i want to get into building muscle cars. Maybe its your way of trying to "help", but flipping around and making everyone feel "underqualified" to even pick up a wrench is not help my friend.
Quote:
YOU, my friend, are the one who jumped up on a soap box proclaiming to one and all that you were gonna do this, gonna do that, and telling me and anyone else who dared to question you, that basically we were all wrong- all "haters" (w/no help, you being egged on by this majoroweage piece of... work), and that you could do anything you damned well pleased, physics and common sense be damned.

If, instead, you'd have come on here and asked questions instead of making grandiose statements, your reception (from ME, at least) would have been MUCH different.
Quote:
alright, well if i have been in error anywhere in the post, please notify me. All my information has been correct to my knowledge, and most of it sourced.
You nitwit- you're quoting a response I made to the OTHER GUY!!! Post #90.

YOU have zero credibility, Mr. "How Does a Cylinder Wall Get Oil On It". lol

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-13-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
If you want to avoid having your *** handed to you so much, type NOTHING unless you actually know what you're talking about. Google experts don't have any credibility here, either.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
3Deuce Speedshop

Last photo:

This is just such a train wreck I just can't get enough.

With that being said, you may not like what Cobalt is saying. But he knows what he's talking about. The worst thing about building a motor is when it pops and you weren't even listening to the advice given. Or don't ask if you don't want to hear the answer.

Good luck though...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

wow its amazing what you miss in a 1 hour car ride lol. By the way how would a 2 bolt cap have more contact area if a 4 bolt cap is longer????
Old 07-13-2010, 03:17 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey im just relaying info I learned from Nelson...he's a pretty cool dude. Check out his youtube channel. Very informative
There is a large chasm between having "learned" something, and having "parroted" something you saw or read somewhere.

The acid test is having done something or having enough independent confirmation of a "fact" to provide you w/enough info to make an educated guess. One guy saying something does not constitute much of anything. IMO. If that were the case, anyone saying anything would suddenly be a 'fact", and we all know that ain't the way it works.

If you'd like, start a separate thread on the pluses and minuses of splayed 4-bolt caps on a 2-bolt block vs. a studded two bolt block. I, for one, would be interested in seeing the outcome.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
It's not that it's not possible- it's that it's beyond my experience.
Quote:

Beyond your experience, and yet still telling me I cant do this, basically Im an idiot. I admit I do not know much about small blocks, big blocks, what have you. I know Im going in the wrong direction with this build. When deciding on how I wanted to build this motor I was reading all kinds of articles of TT 383 being done on 4 bolt mains. To my knowledge of building import motors that wasnt of much concern as long as you kept boost levels low, and compression low. So here I am to apologize for wasting yours and other peoples time with this thread. Im just looking for help on building my first "muscle car", and I know I have a great base for the motor build itself. 1000hp is a little dreamy but maybe after a few more years I can concentrate on that build. As for now, I need help/advice on how to piece together a decent motor...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
1000hp is a little dreamy but maybe after a few more years I can concentrate on that build. As for now, I need help/advice on how to piece together a decent motor...
There ya go. Now we can get somewhere with this thread. I would shoot for around 600-650 with your 4 bolt block. Some people would push it to 700-750hp. Maybe you want to as you said this is a see if it works kinda thing. Vortec heads will do this with boost. Get a custom ground cam and a better efi intake. This thing will scream
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Why not just build a nice supercharged 383 instead of trying to boost the hell out of it with 2 turbos?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Why not just build a nice supercharged 383 instead of trying to boost the hell out of it with 2 turbos?
Probably for efficiency. Thats why I would do it. And turbo engines in my opinion are a lot easier to tune and hey if you want more boost use the boost controller to go up two psi instead of going out and switching belts and pulleys.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Beyond your experience, and yet still telling me I cant do this, basically Im an idiot.
YOUR words, NOT mine, bucko.

Quote:
I admit I do not know much about small blocks, big blocks, what have you. I know Im going in the wrong direction with this build.
Then why are we still having the conversation? If you admit you are going in the wrong direction, correct your course!!!

Quote:
As for now, I need help/advice on how to piece together a decent motor...
If you want to build an engine- ANY engine- start w/a realistic goal and a budget. The pieces and parts will quickly fall into place.

If, instead you start out w/an unrealistic goal and no mention of any budget- just plans for 1000(!!!) HP SBC's built w/OEM parts, well, you're likely as not to be ignored or jeered.

There are all kinds of guys who come on here. Often they're recognised (or mistaken for) as being insincere in their knowledge or their experience or their goals and plans. So far, all you've been "guilty" of, is maybe not thinking through the project before you came here. And, maybe getting caught up in another guy's egging you on.

Anyway, best of luck w/whatever you do. I believe I've done all I can here, be it for good or bad.

At least you can't say no one responded to your post!

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-13-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:34 PM

or like the guy said, "he has no experience with old v8 SB or BB. So drop all the turbo bull**** and help with his FIRST engine build up. hes actually now asking for realistic advice.

and there is a ton of ways to go about this build realisticly if you just search through this forum, and when you get a basic idea of what you want to go for and have some concrete plans. fire the questions left right and center.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.