twin turbo sbc 383 help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lewisville, Tx
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
twin turbo sbc 383 help

Hi, Im new to the forums here... Anyways my father in law gave me a smoked 355 to tinker with (blown head gasket and 4 spun rod bearings). Well the problem is I have never built a muscle motor before, I was all about the imports. My first thought to do with this motor was just build a simple 383 since all the work to the block has already been done. Although after doing some research I want to mix the import and muscle into one motor, example being variable lifters wich from my understanding would basically make whatever heads I bolt to this beast act as vtec heads, I think that would be pretty cool... As far as the build I am lost. So what Im asking for is a parts list of what Ill need.. Also this motor will be going into an 89 iroc z with the tpi (port and polish of course).

I know I need 2.02 heads, brand ????? 3.75 forged crank, 5.7 or 6.0 rods? inverted dome pistons or flat top?

I need some help here, I used to taking ka24's, sr20's, b16+18's, h2xa's and just slapping forged internals in them. Port and polishing the heads, high flow exhausts, and running 15-20 psi of boost through them.

My goal for this build is 1000+ hp, with twin 68mm turbos running at 1 bar of boost (14.7)...

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
Hi, Im new to the forums here... Anyways my father in law gave me a smoked 355 to tinker with (blown head gasket and 4 spun rod bearings). Well the problem is I have never built a muscle motor before, I was all about the imports. My first thought to do with this motor was just build a simple 383 since all the work to the block has already been done. Although after doing some research I want to mix the import and muscle into one motor, example being variable lifters wich from my understanding would basically make whatever heads I bolt to this beast act as vtec heads, I think that would be pretty cool... As far as the build I am lost. So what Im asking for is a parts list of what Ill need.. Also this motor will be going into an 89 iroc z with the tpi (port and polish of course).

I know I need 2.02 heads, brand ????? 3.75 forged crank, 5.7 or 6.0 rods? inverted dome pistons or flat top?

I need some help here, I used to taking ka24's, sr20's, b16+18's, h2xa's and just slapping forged internals in them. Port and polishing the heads, high flow exhausts, and running 15-20 psi of boost through them.

My goal for this build is 1000+ hp, with twin 68mm turbos running at 1 bar of boost (14.7)...
I was right there w/you... until the last line! lol

Good luck w/that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lewisville, Tx
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I was right there w/you... until the last line! lol

Good luck w/that.
Im tryin to figure out how that would be a problem??? Can the sbc not handle that high of boost or what? Ive seen a couple builds online that are running 8-9 psi and are hitting 915+hp...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
Im tryin to figure out how that would be a problem??? Can the sbc not handle that high of boost or what? Ive seen a couple builds online that are running 8-9 psi and are hitting 915+hp...
It's not that it's not possible- it's that it's beyond my experience.

That said, my opinion is that an OEM block will not cut it. Actually, I'd be surprised if there were ANY OEM parts involved, period- unless the length of the fuse was of little concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lewisville, Tx
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
It's not that it's not possible- it's that it's beyond my experience.

That said, my opinion is that an OEM block will not cut it. Actually, I'd be surprised if there were ANY OEM parts involved, period.
I have no doubt that this block can handle it. When this motor was being bored 30 over it broke the machine shops hone twice. All I know about this block is its from the early 70's, 4 bolt main, and its a mexican block. Anyways Im still needing help on a parts list.

So far what Ive put together is,
Scat procomp light weight crank (6.0 rod)
Dart 2.02/ 1.60 heads, 72 cc cumb chamber (to help lower compression for higher boost)

Still need help building the parts list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
I have no doubt that this block can handle it. When this motor was being bored 30 over it broke the machine shops hone twice. All I know about this block is its from the early 70's, 4 bolt main, and its a mexican block.
Yeah. Like I said, good luck w/that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lewisville, Tx
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Yeah. Like I said, good luck w/that.

As I said I am looking for help on the build, so far all you are providing me with is frustration...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow....

I don't think anyone is trying to frustrate you. What you're looking for is something that people here may not have much experience with.
While your build is interesting, it's not something you can do without quite a lot of money (not to mention experience). Variable valve timing aside, building an SBC to take the boost levels you're looking for is going to require a very good builder and a lot of money. There is a reason professional racers will spend $20k or more on their engine.
Building a 1000hp SBC may not be too hard, but building that same power level and having it be reliable is a whole new undertaking. It can be done. However, I agree with cobalt. If you're going to run that kind of boost and those power levels, IMO the OEM block isn't going to cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Custom10's Avatar
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA
 

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Age: 49
Posts: 1,095
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 14
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
As I said I am looking for help on the build, so far all you are providing me with is frustration...
It is hard to provide help in this case since your idea is helpless...nothing personal just my opinion. No one can bring this motor together with a OEM block I don't care how many honing machines it broke if it could be done then you would get all the help you needed here, I admire your willingness to bring it to the table though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lewisville, Tx
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
It is hard to provide help in this case since your idea is helpless...nothing personal just my opinion. No one can bring this motor together with a OEM block I don't care how many honing machines it broke if it could be done then you would get all the help you needed here, I admire your willingness to bring it to the table though...
Nothing against anyone in here, but from what Ive been reading on here not to many people have played with boost.. Going with a final CR of about 7:1 there should be no problem pushing 12+psi. As I said earlier I have built many import motors in the past running 15+ psi. Dropping my CR will allow me to succeed in pushing more boost. I was reading a TT 383 build on a different site where the guy used an oem block pushing 9 psi and is having no problems yet. The twist I am trying to accomplish (VVT) may throw a different degree of difficulty into the build, but running VVT will actually prolong the life of the motor. Yes I know this is going to cost me a arm and a leg to build, but if I can succeed Ill be happy. Ive got a few custom auto shops helping along with this build as well. One of them being a shop that all they specialize in is boosting the impossible, their latest project was an srt10 viper that they twin centrifugal super charged pushing 13psi on the STOCK BLOCK. Like I said I am just looking for a parts list of good/premium parts to build this motor with. I know a bunch of people have built a few 383 in their day, this is my first...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 66
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what does the specialized shop say about twin turbo'in a oem block?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Smoky Mountains
Age: 75
Posts: 2,358
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your experience is with very small bores, short strokes, very light rotating assemblies and very high revs. When you get into the dynamics of pressures in big bores vice small bores, you can see that the big bores require cylinder walls that will withstand the extremely high pressures generated. Then you have to think of containing the much more massive rotating assemblies that are going to have to rotate at a much higher rate to make the horsepower you are talking about. An OEM block just is not going to cut it. Don't care if it is a tired old early 70s, bore tool breaking block made in Mexico(???). You just can't rewrite the laws of physics and rules of metalurgy to achieve unrealistic goals. But go ahead and knock your self out.

Trees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lewisville, Tx
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72highboy390
what does the specialized shop say about twin turbo'in a oem block?
Do it.

With a low compression ratio there is nothing holding me back from pushing 12 psi. A little more work is required to get my 15 I looking for but it can and has been done with retained reliability. Even with 10-12psi my projected hp at the crank is between 950-1010. I also have most of my parts list put together finally after many phone calls throughout the day.

Even if it takes me a year to complete this project Im going to do it just to show what limits you can push a OEM sb to. Also its not like this car/motor is going to be race only (hence the VVT). Like I was always told; where there is a will, there is a way.

Im not sure if you guys are telling me it cant be done because either you have tried and failed, seen others try, or just scared to attempt it? Im surprised out of everyone that has posted none of you have encouraged it, only shot the idea down. Isnt building motors about trial and error?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72highboy390
what does the specialized shop say about twin turbo'in a oem block?
I quote: "As you wish, sir. Will that be cash or charge?" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar_camaro
Do it.
But really, what is the name of the shop who says "Do it"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
383 stroker turbo questions work_n_progress Engine 10 06-23-2011 09:55 PM
twin turbo setup/ nd advice SlidingSidways Engine 14 10-30-2008 07:59 AM
twin turbo 86 IROC camaro biggunn770 Introduce Yourself 2 02-22-2008 07:09 PM
.60 over 383 SBC Questions Mustangsaly Engine 8 06-28-2005 12:18 PM
85 camaro with 383 stroker with nitrous oxide or twin turbo? camaro dan Engine 0 10-08-2002 06:18 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.