Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Twin Turbo SBC build, need help
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

That banks kit will not even touch 1000HP. Turbos are too small to start and they have those crappy manifolds. I am sure kevin has built a few turbo cars so might as well listen to him on the carb and price thing. My experience and research has been that EFI is BY FAR THE BEST at high power levels. No one said that carb would not work, but for almost 3HP/cid you cant just slap a carb shop holley on it and expect all to go well. You will need a good wideband and datalog equipment just to tune it. Since you can get all that stuff with an EFI setup the price is about the same for EFI as it is for a good carb and all the needed equipment. Not to mention you can tune it from the drivers seat going down the road or in between runs in a drive way. I do all my tuning at the kitchen table from datalog information. All it takes is the data and a little math to correct problems.

You are way low on the rotating assembly if you get an aftermarket block. I would up that 1k at least. You also forgot heads which will run you around 1k at a minimum if you get a good deal. The turbo you could spend alot less if you do some research and look around. I spent $175 on mine on ebay. It is good for close to 1kHP. I also got my wastegate and bov from ebay for pretty cheap. Matter of fact, crank, pistons, rods, heads, efi, injectors, radiator, and other stuff I am forgetting came from ebay. I did my engine on a budget and probably have $7500 in a stock block engine, but it has good EFI equipment and good heads. However, I am looking to upgrade soon after a recent screw up that hurt a couple cylinder walls. I am going to run the stock one till it gives up or till I have the $ for the aftermarket setup.