Twin Turbo Small Block Chevy??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Twin Turbo Small Block Chevy???

I just purchased some 1 7/8 headers off ebay that are swept forward. They have t4 turbo flanges on them. I found some t3/t4 turbos on ebay with the exhaust down piping off of the turbo. Besides fabrication of the exhaust, what else am I going to need? Im planning on buying a large intercooler. I know I need 2 blow off valves, 2 waste gates, oil lines. I already have a small blower on the engine, but that is coming off. So the engine is built for forced induction. I just want to go bigger. Im running an edelbrock carburator right now. Would that work with a carb hat? or am I going to need a special holley? What intake would you reccommend? I have plenty of room in the engine compartment, so thats not a problem. Its eather go crazy with a twin turbo set up or I go with a bigger blower. It will be cheaper for me to set up the twin turbo, but is it worth all the hassle? If I don't go twin turbo, then Im going to run a procharger...but the procharger is $3500 compared to $1500 for the twin turbo set up. What are your opinions??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	friends 016.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	3075  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 02:43 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Personally, I would go with the bigger procharger. I think that once you get all the parts for the turbo, you might find that the cost difference is not too great, also It sounds like alot of hassle trying to rig up the turbo in your situation with having to buy all the parts separately. If you were buying a full turbo kit, made for your car, it would be different. Turbos can make really good hp, but contraty to popular belief, they do use horse power. If you think about it, the turbo is really being spun by the piston pushing it, there is just exhaust inbetween. I am not saying that turbos are bad, its just good to know that you arent getting something for nothing. With the procharger, you will already know that it will fit, and with an intercooler, they can make really big hp. What do you have currently for a setup, (heads/cubic inches/compression/supercharger/intercooler?).

Adam
Old 11-23-2004, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

I currently have a 383ci with 28cc dish pistons, 5.7 rods, 4340 forged steel crank, all balanced. APR studded 4 bolt block .030 over. Dart pro aluminum heads 230cc intake runners, 2.08, 1.60 valves. 177cid weiand blower running 9 lbs of boost. I have a base compression ratio of 8.6:1. No intercooler. Comp cams blower/nitrous profile camshaft. 230i, 244e, .487i, .501e lift.
It goes, i just want more...
Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

You will notice a HUGE difference with an intercooled procharger at 12-15 lbs of boost. This is for a couple of reasons. First, the roots type blowers create much more heat than a procharger, even if the procharger doesnt have an intercooler. If you added an intercooler, that would cool the air even more which would not only give you a more dense charge, but because of the dissapated heat, you will be able to run more boost and stay on pump gas. The other reason that the procharger will make more hp than your current setup, is that the 177 blowers are only efficient to around 6 lbs of boost. With running 9 through it, you are creating even more heat on top of an already hot blower. There are several procharger kits that are reasonably priced, I dont know if you have been to their website, but here is the catalog with a lot of good information. According to the procharger website, you could easily run 20 lbs of boost with your setup and stay on pump gas if you ran an intercooler, if you did not run an intercooler, you would be limited to around 12 lbs of boost. With the intercooled 20lb boost setup, you would be looking at around 750 hp, with the non intercooled 12 lb boost setup, you would be around 600 hp. I would say that with your current setup you are around 475-500 hp.

http://www.procharger.com/pdf/Chevy.Prod.bb.pdf

Good luck
Adam

Last edited by firestone; 11-23-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

i saw a car in HODROD mag that had 8 turbos.

all you need is 6 more.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 PM

If you want go, this is it:

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-products.cfm

I dont care how much money it costs me, one day I will own this.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

A pair of Ebay T04's would work just fine with what you have. You will need a pair of wastegates, but only one BOV will be needed if you place it properly. If you are running an auto, you dont have to have a BOV, and it does not have to be that large since you are not trying to manipulate turbine speed between shifts.

The procharger will certainly make plenty of power, but properly sized turbos will always make more power at the same boost level and are much easier on parts. Many will argue with me on this, but you can search the board for old post on all that good stuff....you will find the truth

The edelbrock could be made to work, but for blow through you really should look at getting a Holley. You can either buy one modified for blow through or do the mods yourself. If you go to http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/ you can find a step by step on holley mods. That guy is running a pair of T04's into the 9's with 12psi(last I looked).

If you have any questions, I have been there and done that so let me know. Turbos are not the black art that so many people think they are. You just need a good understanding of a few things.

Chris
Old 11-24-2004, 08:07 AM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

The car with the 8 turbos was at the SEMA show heres a pic.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

for the difference btw 1500 and 3500 I'd just go with whatever looks better and is easier to set up... i mean, you already have what, about 25-30,000 in the car already?

K
Old 11-24-2004, 01:47 PM

Last photo:

If the headers have T4 flanges, the T3/T4 hybrod turbos won't work. (They use a T4 compressor and T3 exhaust). For your engine, two TO4B's with V-trim compressors and .69-.81 A/R P-trim turbines would work well. A "54" trim TO4E or 60-1 compressor would also work well. If you want to go with a carb, check out the turbomustangs.com message board. There is a carb section that has some really good info on setting Holley's or Edelbrock's for blow through.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the helpful info. I probably have close to $20,000 into the car already. I don't know what im going to do. Im starting to steer tward the more expensive intercooled pro-charger. I'll figure it out. For now, I just ran into some transmission problems. Figuring that out is at the top of my list. Check out my other post, and see if you have any answers.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 AM

twin turbos are worth considering again

I am ssetting a ZZ4 HO 350 with forged pistons and AFR heads and Edelbrock or F.A.S.T. fuel injection that I was considering using a vortech or paxton s/c.After further consideration I have decided to go the twin-turbo route.One reason for this is that I'm working on getting a patent for a new type of inter cooler that would take up less space and be 25-35% more efficient than anything on the market now.I think with that and an alcohol fuel enrichment cicuit (with independent fuel management) that is switched on with a hobbs switch at 6-7 # of boost you can blow away a supercharged car with standard i/c technology. Your engine is plenty stout enough for 15-20 lbs. of boost with the control of DFI systems on the market.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:40 PM

go roots!!!!!!they are intimidating and if you set them up right they will DOUBLE your hp my friend....my car has over 1200hp on pump gas with a 10-71 blower and thats 8psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

I would recommend the turbos, but I would also recommend doing your research before you dive in to it. Make sure those ebay kits are decent quality because I have heard of some people getting burned on cheap turbos that go out quickly.

One other concern... what do you have for fuel delivery? It sounds like you want to run a lot of boost and accordingly, you need to make sure you have enough fuel supply to match the base pressure + boost + line loss. Figure 7lbs for base, plus the amount of boost you want to run, plus perhaps a 5psi or so line drop.

Figure out how you want to run your downpipes, where you want your intercooler, etc so you have everything mapped out and ready to go.

Regarding the carb... Edelbrocks can be made to work just fine in a blow-through application. Holleys are much more common and so help/info is easier to find, but there are a good number of guys out there running Edelbrock/Carters and even quadrajunks.

A discussion on Edelbrock blow-through setups
Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopars69
go roots!!!!!!they are intimidating and if you set them up right they will DOUBLE your hp my friend....my car has over 1200hp on pump gas with a 10-71 blower and thats 8psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1200 HP on a roots blower with Pump gas?? How about sharing some info.

chevyelc .....Turbos10 gave you a great link for modding the holley. I would look in to the forums here http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php by far the most info on turbo setups.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.