Hot Rod Forum banner

twin turbo small block chevy

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  taffy 
#1 ·
i wanna put twin turbos on my small block powered 70 chevelle road race car. anyone make manifolds for this?
the motor is a completely stock 350 4 bbl out of something in the 70's. i got it with the car, and hub didnt tell me what he yanked it out of. so.....
what other mods should i consider to work with the turbos?
i was planning on a single plane, a 750 holley, and some form of cam, as well as a better ignition system, cause the stock hei is crap.
so yall tell me.
thanks
mike

#3 ·
Well, "some form of cam" would defintely do good. I think without it, your power potential is somewhat stunted. :D

If you dont know the history of the engine, I would pull it apart for a rebuild at minimum. A stock engine will handle boost for a while as long as it is setup properly and you dont push your luck. I would suggest some better bottom end parts though.

As for manifolds, they are few and far between. I have never seen a new set for sale, But have come across many used on ebay. But for the $400-$600 you would have to give for them, I would build my own. I mean you could buy a welder for that much if you dont have one.

chris

#4 ·
Here is a link to a guy that has done just that, the first link is a pictorial of how to, in step by step form. the other link is an itemised breakdown of what is involved, and i second turbos10 in the notion of spending the money on a MIG welder and doing the manifolds yourself. a set of gale banks logs are 6-700 dollars and they flow much worse than the ones shown on the pages below

http://www.2quicknovas.com/turbos.html

#5 ·
You could use the standard cast iron manifolds swapped side to side and turned upside down. These will flow ok for a turbo setup and they give you a strong base to mount the turbos onto. Use a mild cam with not much overlap and check that your compression ratio is not much above about 8.5-1. You will also need to use the highest octane fuel you can find,keep the engine as cool as you can (big radiator)and limit total timing to about 28-30 deg,up to about 8-10 psi of boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.