Twin Turbo's on a Carbureted Small Block Chevy.. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No one said it is impossible, actually if you are motivated this can be a fun exercise. We get all kinds of people on this site, from the seasoned veteran to the junior high school student and some times questions that are asked are to feel out how dedicated the person asking is?

Next question, how much money do you have and are ready/willing to spend? If you think you can just cobble this together from junkyard parts.....well........

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2002, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

The only money I will probably have to spend is on the piping. And maybe a carb that can handle the blow through. Not sure if the Holley 750 Double Pumper I have can.

But he has the turbo's, he has the machine shop that has any welder, plasma cutter, or whatever I will need.

I will also need different headers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2002, 12:59 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Thumbs down

Hey great idea, but how will you ever get that little, light truck to ever hook up. I had a 92 Sonoma with a heavily modified 4.3 and spun the thing all over the place. As for twin turbos and headers, find a pair of short tubes and flip them (i.e. the right on left with the exhaust exit pointing forward, and the same for the other side). My buddy had a twin turbo Mustang and that is how he set it up. Now all you have to do is find the room (good luck)and weld and turbo flanges for whatever turbos you decide and fabricate all the tubing. Keep in mind exhaust exit, this truck will never be street legal, and there will be no room to run it back, it will probably have to exit in front or behind the front wheels. By the way, this will not be a draw thru system, but a blow through. You will have to have a carb set up for this (not cheap either). To be honest, a mild V8 is perfect for that truck. At one point, I was building a VW Karmann Ghia with a 2388 turbo motor. I ended up having $3500 in a single turbo for it (the whole system), all custom made, but not worth the actual $$$. SOLD IT! Well anyway, good luck with your quest, think it through before spending tons of time and $$$. PLAN PLAN PLAN
Old 10-13-2002, 05:08 PM

I've been wanting to try a setup like you have been discussing and if you want to sell one or both of the turbos talk to me.

Also how well would chevy TPI work with turbos.
I know it would need bigger injectors and a chip burned.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

It will work, and it will fit! Well if you take out the inner fenders... I can email some pics of my turbo S-10 if you are interested. I dont have it running yet, but it is getting closer. It is all disassembled for paint now, but I snapped some shots before I dismantled it.

As for hooking up, I am using 18.5x33 Mickeys and CE 4-link with a 10 point cage to stablize things. I think it just might work.

Chris
Old 10-14-2002, 03:19 AM

Last photo:

forget banks and other companies, check these links out, you are not on uncharted teritory here, the one link even has a calculator that allows you to optimize the boost pressure to fit the turbo cmpressor map. and keep you out of trouble

http://www.geocities.com/windsor_302/TurboPartslist.html

the only thing is that the T04s might be to large
if you plan to run both of them, you have to run arround 20-22 lbs of boost bfore you hav eto upgrade from a T3 to a T04, and by then you are makeing well above 800 horespower, noy wou have to spend serious cash to keep the bottomend of the motor, the tranny and so on from just exploding at that kind of powerlevel

now if you were to ron the T04 in a single turbo config you cauld run 6 to 10 pounds of boost, have quick spoolup and still be makeing arround the 500 Hp mark. honestly i would go with the single turbo and keep the other for replacement...

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: deuce_454 ]</p>
Old 10-14-2002, 06:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

[quote]Originally posted by deuce_454:
<strong>forget banks and other companies, check these links out, you are not on uncharted teritory here, the one link even has a calculator that allows you to optimize the boost pressure to fit the turbo cmpressor map. and keep you out of trouble

<a href="http://www.sn95.com/projects/turbo/part1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.sn95.com/projects/turbo/part1.htm</a>
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/windsor_302/TurboPartslist.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/windsor_302/TurboPartslist.html</a>

the only thing is that the T04s might be to large
if you plan to run both of them, you have to run arround 20-22 lbs of boost bfore you hav eto upgrade from a T3 to a T04, and by then you are makeing well above 800 horespower, noy wou have to spend serious cash to keep the bottomend of the motor, the tranny and so on from just exploding at that kind of powerlevel

now if you were to ron the T04 in a single turbo config you cauld run 6 to 10 pounds of boost, have quick spoolup and still be makeing arround the 500 Hp mark. honestly i would go with the single turbo and keep the other for replacement...

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: deuce_454 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are a little off the mark hear. The T3's will not make anywhere close to 800 HP no matter how much boost. The largest will only flow 35 lbs of air each and that is pushing efficiency hard. Those being the super 60 compressor from the GN. Good luck finding a pair, they are scarce. Also, there are few T04's that will make 500HP from garrett. Most of them are a bit less, so pick wisely if you use a single T04. If you check out ray hall turbocharging at turbofast.com they have calculators to help size the turbo. They also have new T04's for sale, and you can see which one you might want to look for used. However, many of the T04's they sell are not available oe, they are built up units from the aftermarket.

Chris
Old 10-14-2002, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Just tell ya what I know, the fastest vehicle I have ever had the opportunity to ride it was a twin turbo (t-4s) sbc. However it was TPI with alcohol injection and nitrous....
Old 10-14-2002, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

You can find a twin setup for SBC right here in the Parts For Sale Ads

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.