Hot Rod Forum banner

A twist tie got me home how about you

625 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
I know I have done whatever it took mechanics to get me home so here is one story what is your/ I was on vacatiuon with my family in D.C. we were visiting the Lincoln memorial when my car kept stalling and hesitating in Washington which if you know the drivers there it can be dangerous to hesitate. I popped the hood and the accelerator pump clip had rotted off so no pump no go. I told my wife I I just needed some kind of thin wire to fix it til we get home or to an auto parts and it was a sunday and we were leaving town. My wife looked down and picked up a twist tie and said how about this, So I stripped the plastic off and it worked like a charm.

#2 ·
McGyver would be proud.
Had a similiar thing happen 40 years back. Fan belt blew apart 100 miles from nowhere. We had some orange surveyor's tape in the trunk. Wound it round and round, tied it off and made it back home safe and sound.
Better than sleeping in the car. LOL!!!

#4 ·
bigblockragtop said:
I bet it would make a whole thread on different things people used to substitute for a fan belt.
Drove 30 hwy miles with a bungee cord as a fan vee belt in 30C heat once to get home, worked really well considering it was my only option in the small town hardware store besides the old "nylons" trick (which I've never had any luck with).

You have to tie it really tight but it worked, even used the A/C on the way home! ;)

BTW: 1981 Toyota Celica GT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.