Hot Rod Forum banner

twisty wrenches to move doors with fenders on. What are they called?

14K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
Looking for a 1/2" + 9/16" wrench that has a "s" bend in it in order to move doors while fenders are still on the car. The yoda calls them "fender" wrenches but I'm thinking there's a technical term for it. The term escapes me....hmmmmm????

#7 ·
I suppose so, but I see these wrenches all the time at the swap meet. Got my eyes open for one and just wanted to see how much they are new and to have a technical term for it.
I'll probably get the swivel head gear wrenches next black friday at Sears. Gear wrenches are really cheap on Black Friday there.

#9 ·
#14 ·
thanks for the name of it. Yeah, I figured a gear ratchet wouldn't be too helpful on a lot of those old hinges. We're getting a lot of these lip stick on a pig cars where we just clean up the finish, line the panels, shoot, and kick it down the road. So we're lining up more doors with fenders on than usual.
I'll keep my eye out for the SAE one, thanks.

#12 ·
You can see that these wrenches are much more than just a simple "S" shape, they have step as well and are very complicated in shape just for door hinges.

Snap on 11 mm s 9624A Door Hinge Wrench "s" Wrench Door Wrench No Owners Marks | eBay

Brian
looks like an ofset box wrench with an s added, I can make one out of a wrench in my garage.. nothing special about that wrench other than , it coming already bent..
ford 2.3 waerpumbs need a special wrench too, but a 10mm wrench and gas wrench and bamm you have that 45.oo wrench..

#15 ·
This one is slightly different and it belonged to my Dad. I'm certain that it dates back to the 30's. One side has SUPER - QUALITY stamped on it and it looks like the other has FO(?)(?)EINS - - I couldn't make out the exact lettering. A handy tool that I've used often since I conveniently forgot to return it to him years ago. :D:D

#25 ·
LOL, You have no idea...and just when my kids have heard all my old jokes and experianced all the pranks,along comes all the grandkids .....Ahh,fresh meat....
I gotta say though its so great when they get me back ,makes me proud ...like when I fell asleep on the couch and my two girls painted my finger and toe nails...4and 5 yrs old they were...It was a double whammy too because I woke up late for work and didnt have time to get the polish off my feet so I just put my socks and shoes on and went to work but that was a real hot day and after work we all went to the swimming hole for a dip....when I took off my shoes and saw my toenails I was rolling over laughing...Those dam kids....
So I tied up my shirt above my bellybutton and started prancing around like Boy George ,totally embaressing them in front of their friends.....Hey I was in my 20's then...I've grown up a little since...

#26 ·
It's like I tell my kids when they tell me after I have told them some old family story "I know dad you've told us that before". "I am telling you over and over so you remember". Goodness knows that's why I remember the stuff. :D

The other day at my daughters Volleyball game (the Championship and they won, they went undefeated the entire season!) one of the mothers made pompoms for everyone. I was up in the stands and I did a little cheer and I could read my daughters lips out on the court "Oh my God". LOLOLOL You just can't buy that kinda entertainment. :D

Brian

#28 ·
It's like I tell my kids when they tell me after I have told them some old family story "I know dad you've told us that before". "I am telling you over and over so you remember". Goodness knows that's why I remember the stuff. :D Brian
Practice makes perfect :thumbup: When you can't remember the stories, they'll wish you could tell them just once more ! Oh what I give to be able to sit down and talk to my Dad and ask him those questions that I didn't think were important at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.