Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Two of the 4 body lines on door not lining up
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 02:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am confused, cut what welds and move what down? It looks like the quarter is too low then, wouldn't you want to cut the quarter welds to the rocker and lift it up? I am just talking, it's more complicated than that.

I know how you feel about your dilemma I feel the same way about my convertible top. I am way out of my comfort zone on that and I have stopped and am giving me a little sit and cool down time before I jump on it again.

Brian
cut the butt weld where the skin meets the top few inches of the original quarter. Then move the quarter down. The quarter needs to go down. If the door is hung correctly so the top body lines meet the top of the quarter, the gap along the rocker is correct. But now the C stripe body lines on the door are lower than the C strip body lines on the quarter, because the entire section of skin that went in may have been too high. I'm not stating this as cold hard fact, only what my own assessment of the situation is based on knowing what and how I did the work and seeing it. Does that make sense? I'm trying to help your understanding more.

I have hundreds, if not almost a thousand pics of this car through its entire restoration process. I have included several here for your additional help.

The first one shows the gap of the rocker and the new quarter. It wasn't remarkably huge but I do remember having to fight it to close it.

The second picture I think it is shows the door hung with the old quarter. Works well.

The third picture is ORIGINAL DOOR AND SKIN with the new quarter on the driver's side. (These pics are old before a lot of body work and primer ever happened). That quarter was installed by a top notch shop and they did a fantastic job. The door gaps and body lines on the driver's side are perfect and they gapped it.

The fourth picture shows the skin cut out so you can visualize what I'm talking about better. See the top of the quarter never moves. Now picture the quarter getting placed in there and possibly not set down to far so the bottom 95% of the quarter near the door jamb sits too high, while the top 5% of the quarter never moved at all so it still sits properly.

I must say it's comforting to know even you guys get frustrated and in over your head on certain things. This really bothers me because I'm better than this, I have a good understanding of this stuff from some classes and following you guys religiously, and I still let it happen this way. And right now, literally the only thing that WAS standing in my way of final blocking and sealing the entire car was merely getting the door jamb and new skin epoxied and blocked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Mustang 027.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	525.1 KB
ID:	67195   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Mustang 420.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	859.7 KB
ID:	67196   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Mustang 430.jpg
Views:	70