Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Two color panels, paint order?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

It looked like fisheyes to me too. A similar look can happen if the first coat is too heavy too. It's hard to tell in photographs sometimes.

My tip about sneaking up on the substrate by misting on the the first coat can also help eliminate fisheyes. A fisheye is what happens when the wet coat of paint breaks open over an oily or waxy spot. The paint has to be thick enough to pull away. By laying down tiny droplets of paint, they can't flow away from the contamination. The downside is the risk of ending up with a rough surface that translates itself to the surface of the final coat.

I think using a propane heater was mentioned. Any open petroleum flame will put oil in the air. All of that petroleum will cause fisheyes. To prevent fisheye contamination, all the air would need to be changed out in the room and the surface to be painted would need to be cleaned thoroughly with wax and grease remover. You may need to find another way to heat your work area.

Using "fisheye eliminator" isn't a cure. It's kinda like shooting off your toe because it itches.