Two Craftsman Ratchets 2-3 years apart - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Two Craftsman Ratchets 2-3 years apart

We have had this discussion here before - just some more deterioration of a formerly pretty good product.

Over the weekend I went to an indoor 'swap meet'. I purchased a 1/4" drive Craftsman ratchet, exactly the same part number from the same guy that I had purchased one from a couple or so years ago. The one purchased a while back - nice and hefty - robust is the word and has been a pretty good daily use tool. The one purchased on Saturday has been 'cost reduced' almost to the point of feeling dainty. This new one will be carried in my camper tool box, so will probably last longer then I will and since it's a Sears tool, IS guaranteed for life, so wont worry about it there. But these are no longer your grandfathers tools.

Photos could be better - sorry, just getting used to a new P&S camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RATCHET1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	70772   Click image for larger version

Name:	RATCHET2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	70773  

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It sounds like they are making them cheaper to offset the lifetime replacement . In the hopes that some people will not return them. Also in the old days they were made here in the USA & now they are made in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

It's sad to see a good supplier cheapen their products-Craftsman has been a staple for us car guys for so long, and I hate to see them become Harbor Freight wannabe's, but I don't think they have a choice-either assimilate or die (and it looks like Sears is on life support)-

I think it's almost a metaphor for how things are going these days-and I don't think it's for the better-
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
.........they were made here in the USA & now they are made in China.
Nope - look at the second photo. Still made in the US
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Sears is on life support. They were a part of K-Mart and Orchard Supply, they are now separated. A life time warranty is not much good if there is no place to honor the warranty.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

unfortunately, I agree. I think it's a matter of time. As far as the ratchets go, I like to open them up, clean em up with brake cleaner, add some white lithium grease, and wd-40. They work good after that. Can always tell the bad ones by how loose they feel, or so it seems.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
Being smaller isn't a bad thing. My Snap On 1/4" ratchets make those look like rail road track. And the older ones were even smaller than the new ones. I like the older ones which were about an 1/8" thinner at the mechanism. They had a standard blade screw to hold them together where now they have an allen and they are sealed. I like the older ones because you could get into anywhere with them. I had lost mine and when I saw an old one on the Snap On truck I grabbed it up, and it was cheaper than new, cool!

I don't know, you aren't going to tighten or loosen really strong bolts with it being it's a 1/4" inch so I say the smaller the better.

Brian
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

I prefer the "new" design. No reason for the head of a 1/4" ratchet to be as bulky as the old design. The steel teeth are still the weak point, I doubt the frame will fail.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I don't mind the reduced head size as long as the internals are at least as robust as they were previously. But Craftsman ratchets are just like the weather in FL, wait a minute and it'll change.

The 1/4" ratchets below are all at least 15 years old (Husky and one Craftsman), the rest much older than that.

Left to right:
• Craftsman 44807 (old style)
• Craftsman 43185
• Craftsman 43795
• Husky 20202
• Cornwell
• Stanley Professional 87-137
• Sparta CM-45

The Cornwell, Stanley and Sparta ratchets have a better 'feel' to the mechanism than the Craftsman or Husky. The Husky is particularly bad- coarse, sloppy, and loose describes the feel and action. Husky 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets are OK, and their polished wrenches I also like- and all are USA when I got mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-4 ratchet front.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	70809  
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

IIRC sometime last year, Danaher quit making Craftsmen tools, and now a different company makes them.

For years I have bought Stanley tools. I know they are made by Danaher, which also make Proto and Mac. They work for me and generally are pretty cheap. Last year I was walking thru Walmart's clearence isles when I spotted a 90 peice set of Stanley hand tools. They had 10 sets or so, marked down to $9.99 clearence price and the original price was $29. Bought a set and then discovered when I got it home, why it was $10. Factory left off the latches on the case. little shipping screw was all that held it togther. For $10 it was well worth it. Just organized the tools into my box and set the case aside.

I have not bought much at Sears in 10 years, and nothing Sears/ Craftsmen branded at all in recent years
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I don't mind Craftsman but if any of their ratchets are gonna crap out it's usually the 1/4" being torqued too much. I just check them for how loose they are at the store. The loose ones will eventually start skipping gears on you. I try to get all my extensions, ratchets, sockets, and screwdrivers Craftsman. They work great for me but I prefer their pro line screwdrivers. My air tools and specialty sockets are always the cream of the crop but craftsman has never let me down. The only argument I have with their ratchets is usually the 1/4" one where I'm in a really tight space and can't turn the ratchet but a few degrees and it takes too many degrees of turn before it engages with the gear. That can be annoying when you know the snap on ones will engage the gear almost instantly with less free play. But as I said, I'm not a mechanic so it's fine by my standards. That's like if you ask a mechanic whether he'll pay extra to get a thinner toe dolly. He won't care, but I'm a body tech so I do.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
I have a variety of tools, even a couple of Harbor Freight (gasp) in my tool boxes at work and home. Ratchets and screw drivers are the two tools I absolutely refuse to own anything but the best. I have Mac and SnapOn at home and all SnapOn at work. Both screwdrivers and Ratchets.

I have to say that the little shorty wrenches I bought at HF to remove my headers have REALLY came in handy on the mechanical work. Swapping out the Proportioning valve.

Brian
Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I bought a set of the swan neck boxed wrenches, from HF and they work great. When I had to pull the intake on my '51 Chevy, the rear bolt was a pain due to the temp sensor bulb/ line being right in the way, and the firewall tab on the other side. The swan neck wrenches went right around the bulb and gave lots of clearence from the tab.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM

The GOOD OLD CRAFSTMAN tools had a -V- stamped on them for VELCHEK tool company, always quality. It was owned by a friends father. The new stuff is made by the lowest bidder, not so good.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

it is sad they are going to china made.. I really liked the 60th ratchets

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.