Hot Rod Forum banner

Two-Hands

740 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  eloc431962 
#1 ·
I am trying to build a street rod myself. Impossible-you bet. We should have a group of retired men with rods that can help other retired men build there dreams, like me, retired 68 years old wanted a ride from my school days in the 50's. Never was in the right spot at the right time nor have I got enough money to build one but now it is too late. I don't have the tech. nor the knowledge or ability to do it. To have a dream in my garage and watch it turn to rust. It is times like this that a person wishes he had lived at another time and place, if is was not for the war it was family, now there both gone.
As to what I am going to do--------Don't know
Al Payne

#2 ·
James A. Payne said:
... We should have a group of retired men with rods that can help other retired men build there dreams...
That's pretty much what we've got here at HR.Com...except we let the young guys in too. They know a lot we never learned when we we're youngins.

I'm just an old retired guy like you and my skills and techniques are pretty crude. I don't always do things the "right" way (mostly due to limited funds) but that doesn't reduce the fun of building in the slightest.

In addition to the technical forums here (which can be a great help) don't miss the Project Journal section. Tons of great cars along with the "inside secrets" of how the folks here build them.

If you want to see a couple "A-to-Z" hot rod builds you can check out these two journals. To see them in chronological order (as they were built), just click on the "view from beginning" button. Oh, and one small piece of advice...keep your first one VERY simple. There's nothing worse than taking on too much and then getting bummed out by your lack of progress to the point of dropping the project and trying to sell it off.

To see how this roadster was built for under $5,000, click here.

To see how this sedan/delivery/pickup was built by an old retired geezer in a back yard garage, click here.

#3 ·
I think that what keeps most people from their dreams is in their head. It doesn't hurt to TRY something.

Take a look at those two cars that CBOY built. I spent plenty of time in his garage watching these cars come together.

The second one, the sedan delivery, made it to it's first car show just this past weekend. It took the builder only 3 years from start to finish.

The black roadster took less time and money but, it's still a great and fun little car. ( I think it's for sale.)

CBOY started out with just an idea and a pencil and paper. He asked lots of questions of the people here at HOTRODDERS.com. The nice thing is that he posted the entire build of both projects on this site.

Most of us around here are NOT "spring chickens" . Most of us don't have the talent that CBOY has but that doesn't stop us from giving it a shot.

Take a shot at it and see how it goes. Ask lots of questions and take lots of pictures. The main thing is to have fun with it and do it YOUR way.

Good Luck !!

454 RATTLER

#4 ·
Do it

Al,

Don't give up on your dream. I'm sure I've seen other rodders posting from your area. Find them, get to know them. Most rodders will jump at the chance to show you what they have done and or are doing and would be happy to give you pointers and assistance in your project. Having a hobby like hot rodding can bring much comfort to the soul, especially when the project is done (they are never really done). ;) I am 67 and am re-doing my 34 that I first built 40+ years ago, remember, they are never really done, and enjoying the satisfaction of doing a better job this time. Take a look at my newly started project journal.

Jack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.