Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Two "NPT" Hole Thermostat Houseing Who Makes It

5K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
I have a Two Hole Thermostate housing with "NPT" Holes threaded in at the top on the ball surface on my GMZZ502. I can't remember where I got it or who makes it. I'm get-en old. My friend needs one for his GM Small Block Blower build up.

Any one remember who makes it and the part number..?? Been to Jegs and Summit. They only show a single hole Mr. Gasket 2557. The Holes have to be on the top "Ball" section of the housing. Billet Specialties makes an adapter that sits under the thermo housing but the holes face straight forward.
Any help appreciated ..

:thumbup:

#4 ·
If you get your hands on a cast iron water neck, it would be an easy modification to put your own holes into it.

I don't think I'd do it to a zinc casting; I'm thinking the one you have prolly has a boss where the threaded holes are, so it has enough strength.

#6 · (Edited)
That housing is a stock GM housing. There was a temp sending unit installed there that controlled a vacuum switch.

Below are two photos from different angles of one that I have. There is a casting number on the housing. It is 336773 then about 1/4" gap and then the number 17.

Left click for a larger view.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks Guys for all your hard work...Man ...Talk about Brain Farts....I can't remember where I got it.

Also I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear ..I need a TWO Hole On the ball Top Of the Thermo Housing. But some of you came up with some good ideas. I know it's made. I built my GMZZPP 502 and the ride about 3 years..you can emigine how many vendors I went thru..Gheeeeeeeeeeeeezz.

The receipt file is about 10 " thick. I have to fire off some bush weed to look thru all of that. I'll keep searching Thanks.. :thumbup:

#8 ·
eloc431962 said:
Maybe these guy's can help. http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=900 . And i would like to say thank you for your service . And i mean it from the bottom of my heart . Cole

And i mean it from the bottom of my heart . Cole
Thanks Cole....Always great to hear that... I wish you were around in 1967 when I got home...Maybe I would have had less egg Shells on my Class A's.. :D

#9 · (Edited)

Attachments

#10 ·
It's a shame- I've canned dozens of the holed-type necks through the years (came on late 70's into the 80's), finding a nice, hole-less one was what was hard!

Here's another variation. Hard to make out, but one hole is drilled and tapped, the boss is there for the second hole- but it's not drilled.

Attachments

#11 ·
cobalt327 said:
It's a shame- I've canned dozens of the holed-type necks through the years (came on late 70's into the 80's), finding a nice, hole-less one was what was hard!

Here's another variation. Hard to make out, but one hole is drilled and tapped, the boss is there for the second hole- but it's not drilled.
Thanks CoBalt.. It was all gold then but Who new...??? All those old GM parts. Can You say :Rat Rod".... :D

#13 ·
Viet Nam Vette said:
Thanks CoBalt.. It was all gold then but Who new...??? All those old GM parts. Can You say :Rat Rod".... :D
Ain't it the truth! lol

All those "Chevrolet" scrip valve covers, the intakes w/the oil fill tube in the front, "Corvette" cast v-covers, all those "Honest Charlie" and JC Whitney air cleaners and shifter knobs and stuff that was tossed first thing are now back in style! But it's okay w/me- what the hell, let this generation feel what it was like. I have no problems w/that!

FWIW, the one I showed was OE on a '80 Malibu wagon w/the 229 cid V6. The threaded hole was occupied by a 4-port temperature actuated vacuum switch. It delayed the TCC from actuating until the coolant was up to operating temperature, it also had other duties w/the EGR and carb choke unloader, IIRC.

#14 ·
cobalt327 said:
Ain't it the truth! lol

All those "Chevrolet" scrip valve covers, the intakes w/the oil fill tube in the front, "Corvette" cast v-covers, all those "Honest Charlie" and JC Whitney air cleaners and shifter knobs and stuff that was tossed first thing are now back in style! But it's okay w/me- what the hell, let this generation feel what it was like. I have no problems w/that!

FWIW, the one I showed was OE on a '80 Malibu wagon w/the 229 cid V6. The threaded hole was occupied by a 4-port temperature actuated vacuum switch. It delayed the TCC from actuating until the coolant was up to operating temperature, it also had other duties w/the EGR and carb choke unloader, IIRC.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah...Now all that gack is controlled by a Confuser.... Speaking of which My HUMMER threw a P2444 on the OBII the other day..( A.I.R.) reaction valve stuck open. This valve sits on top of the exhaust manifold and cycles on an off to blow air into the exhaust maifold.

The Air comes from an Electric motor powered air pump that supplies air to this valve assembly. It located at the bottom of the frame.

Remember when it was a belt driven pump on the pully assemblies and used a valve that fed tubes to the exhaust header. After some time the valve would rust out and blow exhaust gas back to the pump. L.O.L.

Now they use a confuser to control the pump and valve. Man have we come a long way. The Ricer Gen will never know what we went thru keep-en this old gack running..L.O.L.

#15 ·
junior stocker said:
I've seen the two bung hole themostat housings also, but I don't remember where. Time to hit the wrecking yards, or, in your photos it says, " GM " cast right on ther top, maybe a dealer can help.

Don't know if you'll find them now...the yards are filled with Rice...L.O.L
If I wasn't so brain dead I'd remember where I bought it. I thought it was ...

Day Motor Sports...but no go. It'll come back to me or I'll have to dig thru my 10" pile of receipts... :D

#19 ·
cobalt327 said:
Click here for a look at what AC Delco has.

The search criteria I used was 1980 Malibu w/305 engine.
See how great this Boad is..!!! Thanks that lookds like it.. But I also just just a few min ago found where I got it... I had the catalog sitting right here. " Howe Racing Enterprizes.... They make Stock car Racing stuff.

www.howeracing.com Part Number 3425

Thanks to everyoe who helped.. It takes a Hot Rodder to Help A Hot Rodder :thumbup:

You guys are the best..!!

#21 ·
:thumbup: You Guys are Cracking me up....L.O.L. I just copied and pasted your links on the housings to my friend... He'll go nuts trying to figure out where to buy... But I think the one for $ 10.21 Is the winner.

Ok..Post is over..L.O.L. we have now reached Critical Mass on the Housing...

Again a Big Thanks To all you guys... Fantastic..

HRBB Rules..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.