Two questions about oil changes in a compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Bugs

Wiki Edits: 0

Two questions about oil changes in a compressor

I know it's most likely past due on mine but how often do you change the oil in you compressors? It's kinda hard to keep up with the hours on it so should you just change it like every month, three months or what?

Also can you use synthetic oil in them after the break in period? Mine calls for 30wSAE can you find synthetic oil in a non-detergent 30W? When I bought this one I have it was the floor model and I was in a hurry so I didn't get a manual for it is the reason I ask, Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

I would advise you to change you oil in 100 hours period, but most brands recommend changing in a 300 hours period but I think that it's better to be safe than sorry. About the dificult to count the hours, you should go to a store that sells industrial equipment and buy an hour meter, they cost something like 30 euros around here (something like 37 dollars), wire it between the pressure swutch in you compressor and the compressor motor that way it will only count the time that the compressor ir really working. If in the time of an year your compressor works less than 100 hours you should also change you oil. About the question about the oil to use, you should use air compressor oil, most engine syntetic oils are mixed with detergents but if you can get syntetic air compressor oil it should be the best thing.

Best regardments,
António Costa
Old 11-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Bugs

Thanks, I have an hour meter on a old lawn mower of mine I could swipe and install it on the compressor, this would take the guess work out of it
Old 11-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I drain the water out of my tank every month and I clean the air filter every month, the oil, I change it once a year. I have been running this compressor for 30 years now...no problems.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

A few months ago I posted a topic about air compressor maintenance .

air compressor maintenance

Henry Highrise said a very important thing, always remember to clean you air filter, and when you see that its really clogged up change it. About draining the tank I would advise you to drain the tank every time that you use the compressor, when fininish your work that uses the compressor always drain the tank. It will help to prevent corrosion on the tank and moisture problems. I also forget to say that if it's possible let the compressor cool before you drain it, that way it will give time to the water to condensate on the inside of the tank.

Sorry for my bad english.

Best regardments,
António Costa
Old 11-07-2005, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

I would also recommend draining the tank after each use. I live in a pretty humid area in Texas and if I work my compressor hard in the summer I can get 2 to 4 cups of water out of it by the end of the day. If I'm painting I make sure I drain it before each session. Sometimes I get water out of my air tools before half the day is over. I do have my water traps about 25 ft. from the compressor with 2 water drops before my filters and traps. Just major humidity in the hot summers here. I change my compressor oil 3 (once every 4 months) times a year, it's easy enough to do and the oil is cheap enough too.

gcrmcc
Old 11-08-2005, 12:29 AM

Two questions about oil changes

Install an automatic drain valve on the bottom of the tank. They have an adjustable timer all built in. Set it to drain every hour. It will open up for about 5 seconds each time all around the clock and will keep your tank drained 24/7. It only requires a 120volt receptacle to plug it in. Poke the drain pipe out through the wall where it won't hit anybody/thing and you're set.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.