two-wire alternator - solved REALLY THIS TIME - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2002, 11:11 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Red face two-wire alternator - solved REALLY THIS TIME

how do you use these damn messege icons. now, i had my alternator changed over to a one wire job at the local alt. shop. so why in the hell don't i just pick up the freaking phone and call them? okay i will and i'll answer my own stinkin question. but, the local yokel that put in a engine in my truck-(what a moron i was not to do it myself) blew up something in it so it no longer would work with one wire (by attaching the bat. wire to the bat post WITHOUT THE FIBER INSULATING WASHER SO IT WAS GROUNDED OUT. a different alternator shop said it would still work if it was excited. kinda like my blleeeP! now i've forgotten where that second wire went and cant see the marks on my alternator anyway, so here's the question. on the plug in on the top of the alternator (g.m.-that has two male spade terminals in there) which spade connector gets the wire, the one nearest the battery wire terminal on the alt. or the one farthest from the battery wire terminal. i had it on the one nearest and i am blowing the main fuse to my fusebox. i'll be back!

I told you, here i am, on a two wire alternator: like from a mid 80's chev. there is the battery post + and a place for a connector with 2 male spades. the spade closest to the post is to get a jumper wire from that post. the other spade connector farthest from the post gets the exciter wire which comes from the key and should have a 10 ohm fuse in line preferably with a 10Watt rating.
[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY. THE SPADE FARTHEST FROM THE BAT + IS WHERE THE JUMPER FROM SAME GOES AND THE EXCITER IS NEAREST TO THE +POST!!! AND IF YOU DONT PUT A 10 OHM 10 WATT CERAMIC RESISTOR IN LINE WITH THE EXCITER YOUR ALTERNATOR WILL PUT OUT 27 TO 37 VOLTS AND BLOW UP EVERY LIGHT BULB IN YOUR VEHICLE.

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Old Fart

Last photo:

Hey bullheimer

There's a good chance that you fried a diode in your alternator. You will know when you get it wired like this:

And here is a schematic of the entire system:

Hope this helps.

And on your question on the resistor wire. Yes it is available at most auto parts stores and is rated at a certain resistance per lineal foot.

As for using a resistor or resitance wire between your gas gauge and your sender I doubt it would work. Since the resistance at the sender is variable I doubt that installing an additional resistor in line would let it function properly. And it would only help if the resistance at the sender is less than the original sender otherwise it would just get worse. OHMS law. Best bet is to get a new sender that matches your '55 gauge and install it in your "burb" tank. Might take a little fabrication.

al

Al@AutoReWire.com

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: AutoReWire ]</p>
P.O. Box 636
Galt, CA 95632
209-481-6496 or 209-748-5555
[email]e-mail: Al@AutoReWire.com[/email]
Old 08-19-2002, 10:37 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

I WANT TO THANK YOU AL FOR THE INFO. IT'S MONDAY SO I WISH I'D HAD YOUR DIAGRAM BEFORE, ON SAT. I WAS LUCKY NOT TO BLOW THE NEW ALT. UP. I DID NOT USE ANY RESISTOR IN MY EXCITER LINE AND AS SUCH MY ALTERNATOR PUT OUT 27 VOLTS, MUCH LIKE MY OLD ONE PUT OUT 37 AND BLEW UP EVERYTHING. MAYBE I COULD HAVE STILL USED IT BUT I GAVE IT UP FOR CORE. THEN I WENT TO RADIO SHACK AND GOT A BIG FAT 10 OHM 10WATT JOB THAT LOOK LIKE A BALLAST RESISTOR AND POOF! MAYBE INSTEAD OF MY KEY I SHOULD HAVE RUN MY EXCITER WIRE FROM THE END OF MY BALLAST RESISTOR, ISN'T THAT WHAT IT'S FOR? WHY IS IT THERE AND HOW COME I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE OF THESE MONSTER RESISTERS ON A CAR BEFORE?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

You must have a defective internal voltage regulator in your alternator. I never heard of the need for a resistor like you describe. The regualtor is easy to change and is available at a ny parts store.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.