Which type, base coat clear coat or.. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 11:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Its been quite a few years since i've used the omni clear, but from what I remember spraying it at the shop it looked nice, but seemed runny. I couldn't tell you for sure cause I haven't used it for quite awhile. Think Omni was just coming out then. I've been using Marhyde clear lately, it is pretty thick, I don't like a thin clear because I spray the clear pretty thick. I haven't worked in a bodyshop for a while so don't have a lot of experience with the newer stuff out there. I've just been doing some stuff at home that isn't worth that much, so I've been using omni with the marhyde clear cause it works for me. If you had a bodyshop the paint reps let you try different stuff. I wonder if you could talk someone into giving a sample of it so you could see how it sprays.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

It's been a month since the last post. The car is probably painted by now.

Troy
Old 12-16-2003, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Wow your right, this is an old post lol. Accualy the car hasnt been painted, i think ill paint it this next spring, cause i dunno if i have a place to store the car. I think that makes the best sense. I think i have decided to go with BC/CC. I think i want the car to be painted gunmetal grey with 2 black strips.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

that would look cool as a ****.. i wanna paint he 65 puck-up black cherry.. anyone know how that would go?

Nos
Old 12-17-2003, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, it is an old post. I just caught that he asked about the omni clear and I haven't checked in for a little while. Good luck with the car. If you wait till spring you have plenty of time to get your painting technique down with some home depot special paint.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:09 AM

Omni vs. Nason

I was using Omni exclusively because of the low price. I liked the clearcoat, but did have some problems with orange peel. The data sheet says you can reduce it up to 10%, but the jobber said some people reduce it up to 20% with no problems. It sprayed nice reduced 10%, but you can't go too heavy or it will run. I have also used Dupont V-7500, Martin Senour Glamour Clear, NAPA Econo-Clear and Nason Select Clear. I found the Nason clear the easiest to spray with no texture or runs. Nason has a fast-drying clear that is really nice for panels and touch ups.
I have tried Dupont Martin Senour/Sherwin Williams (same paint), Omni, and Nason basecoats.
Of those, Dupont Chroma Base is, by far, the best. You have to be trying to make it run, it covers the best, and it dries to a nice flat finish.
I didn't like Martin Senour/Sherwin Williams. Coverage was pretty good, but it tended to get texture if sprayed wet. It went through a "sticky" stage, similar to enamel, while drying. The Chroma Base dried more like a lacquer.
I used a lot of Omni basecoat, and couldn't understand the negative comments I saw from some people. That was until I bought a gallon of red to paint a Camaro, and ran out of paint before I achieved full coverage. I wanted to redo it with PPG DBC,
to see how it compared to Chroma Base. I wasn't able to, however, because the 1970 color was no longer available in PPG because it was too old! I thought that had to be the dumbest thing I'd ever heard. For that reason, I haven't tried PPG yet.
The color was available in both Chroma Base and Nason. I went with Nason because it cost $54 for two quarts compared to $180 for two quarts of Chroma Base. It was far better than Omni except for one thing. The mix is 16 parts basecoat to 8 parts reducer to 1 part activator. It's the only basecoat I have used that required an activator, and measuring it is a pain, especially in small quanitities for touch-ups. If you mix too much, you have to throw it away because it doesn't have an unlimited pot life like all of the other basecoats.
I just bought a quart of a metallic gold Chroma Base for a job that requires blending in the quarter panels. The jobber said the Chroma Base colors are closer to factory than Nason for blending. It better be, because it was $56 a quart compared to $19 for Nason!
I made up a coverage test to compare these brands. I took four gallon lacquer thinner cans, with bold black lettering on a white and yellow background. Spraying light coats, Chroma base gave complete coverage in three coats. Martin Senour and Nason did it in four coats. When I could still see lettering if I looked close after six coats of Omni, I gave up.
I just tried the Nason primer-surfacer yesterday and was not impressed. It didn't fill anywhere as well as the Omni primer-surfacer. The Omni is actually too thick for my taste, but is perfect sightly reduced. I need to find out if Nason makes a higher-build primer-surface. If not, I will use Omni in the future.
One really nice thing about the Omni line is simplicity. All of their products use the same reducer, and there are only a few hardeners that work in several products.
On my next project, I am going to try Omni primers, PPG basecoat (if I can get the color!), and Nason clearcoat. The PPG jobber says PPG DBC is compatible with the Omni primers, so the only potential problem is if the Nason clearcoat reacts with the PPG basecoat.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.