type f vs dexIII - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc360
so when you say oriellys atf are you refering to the orielly global atf? i have looked at that before and i couldnt tell if it was a synthetic or not? i ran the napa house bran dex/mercIII atf in my 727 that was in my 76 four wheel drive truck and never had any issues with it at all. i dropped the pan and changed the filter and filled it back up with dex/mercIII once a year never had an issue with that transmission. The non lock up A-518 i have now is frshly re-built, i'm hoping i dont ever have to mess with this transmission again other then changing filter and fluid. My old man ran type f in his 727s but the 727 in his 70 plymouth cuda had alot of modifycations to it, shift kit, added clutch plates higher line pressure better pump and converter it was bolted behind a 440- 6 pak and that 727 of his was the best shifting auto i have ever driven that thing would tear your head off when it shifted had amazing throttle response and he always told me that type f is the best fluid to run in a torque flight, the A-518 is very simliar to the 727 only differences are the 518 has an overdrive unit attatched to the back and slighly different valve body set up. But if type f works well in the 727 it shouldnt work any different in the non lock A-518 then it does in the 727, correct? i mean if there is any reason type f wouldnt perform the same in a non lock up A-518 as it does in the 727 someone please explain, cause i dont see any reason why it would be any different?
I just looked at a gallon jug of O'reilles fluid n it just says "Premium automatic transmission fluid"
I dont see anything that reads "Global automatic transmission fluid" on it says approved for ford or gm.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 PM

maybe its a dex/merc fluid then? like i said id like to run type f im trying to find out if there is any reason type f would perform any different in an A-518 then it does in the 727s besides the overdrive unit on the A-518 i cant really see any differences, does type f not work well with overdrive planatary gears?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM

nobody knows who type f performs in a non lock up A-518? or should i just throw dex/mercIII in it and change it every 20 thousand miles and call it good?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

youre question has already been answered more than once in this thread and the other you have put up. at this point, it is up to you to make up your mind on what you want to do as ultimately its you thats going to have to take responsibility for it. you have a rebuilt trans that is under warranty, if you want to run type f, ask the guy who is supporting the warranty and see what he says. if the warranty means nothing to you, run what you want.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 PM

if i remember right you reccomended atf+4 right? i am stuck on ether dexronIII or type f, kind of wanted to create a poll and see wich one of the two fluids got the most votes? i have also been considering the valvoline max life atf, but its a synthetic atf and for some reason my builder advised me against using synthetic fluids. i guess he thinks they are too slippery?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:16 AM

The way it was explained to me is you use syn for heavy towing. I don't think you'll notice a diff between type F and III.. Maybe a diff between III and IV or V but not F to III. IMO F and III are to simular... I'd use whatever one my frictions where used to (if not rebuilding) and wouldn't mix..

Keep in mind syn is normally not as thick.. Tends to leak more...

I'd just pick one and not worry about it....

Greg
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM

well i dont tow much, occasionally i might haul a heavy load of tools or fire wood but not very often, i do have a heavy foot tho , i plan on getting a transgo shift kit installed, i have a good sized transmission fluid cooler so with the being said, should i run a synthetic atf? or regular dexronIII or type f?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 AM

I just rebuilt my c6 and I used III. Some guys said they use type F some said III, I picked III because its cheap and available.

Good luck,
Greg
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

type f is even cheaper then dexronIII.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM

and type f provides a firmer shift then dexronIII.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Is there any difference between type f and type fa?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.