type f vs dexIII - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

type f vs dexIII

I am trying to create a poll basically, wich atf to run type f or dexronIII? transmission is a non lock up chrysler A-518 in a 1991 dodge power ram 150.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc360
I am trying to create a poll basically, wich atf to run type f or dexronIII? transmission is a non lock up chrysler A-518 in a 1991 dodge power ram 150.
Call your local Dodge dealer and ask the service manager.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Use either oil.

If you think one oil is going to ruin a trans over the other, that is incorrect. Neither of those oils will make a trans shift wonderful and the other oil cause bad shifts.

If you want to mix the oils , that will work too.

If you want to mix some synthetic oil in there, go for it.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
Use either oil.

If you think one oil is going to ruin a trans over the other, that is incorrect. Neither of those oils will make a trans shift wonderful and the other oil cause bad shifts.

If you want to mix the oils , that will work too.

If you want to mix some synthetic oil in there, go for it.
Things must have changed since the 60's when I first started working on cars then. I was told that Ford and GM used a different composition in their automatic transmission clutch facings and that the wrong oil would degrade the clutch facings, and cause premature failure. In the last few years, I was told that Dexron III was developed to be compatible with the Type F used in Ford. I have no idea why there is a Dexron IV . Of course all this information came from various sources, that I don't recall, so it is to be taken with a grain of salt. I would still call a dealer, rather than take a chance on ruining a transmission. Big Al
Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Things must have changed since the 60's when I first started working on cars then. I was told that Ford and GM used a different composition in their automatic transmission clutch facings and that the wrong oil would degrade the clutch facings, and cause premature failure. In the last few years, I was told that Dexron III was developed to be compatible with the Type F used in Ford. I have no idea why there is a Dexron IV . Of course all this information came from various sources, that I don't recall, so it is to be taken with a grain of salt. I would still call a dealer, rather than take a chance on ruining a transmission. Big Al

Things have changed over the decades, that information no longer applies.. The trans oil , the friction materials used in automatics have changed greatly.

Modern friction materials used in aftermarket are compatible with the oils in use. You can mix oils wither dyno oil or syn oils.

The old days there was whale involved in trans oils. That method was out lawed around 1970 if my memory is working or close to that year.

If the member of the original post is worried about his trans, go purchase the Dodge ATF +4 oil and use it.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Things have changed over the decades, that information no longer applies.. The trans oil , the friction materials used in automatics have changed greatly.

Modern friction materials used in aftermarket are compatible with the oils in use. You can mix oils wither dyno oil or syn oils.

The old days there was whale involved in trans oils. That method was out lawed around 1970 if my memory is working or close to that year.

If the member of the original post is worried about his trans, go purchase the Dodge ATF +4 oil and use it.
Thanks for the update Crosley. I remember that we had gotten a new truck at the mine just a couple years ago and it specified Mercon oil. I guess it is a gimmick to get you to spend extra to buy oil from the dealer.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the update Crosley. I remember that we had gotten a new truck at the mine just a couple years ago and it specified Mercon oil. I guess it is a gimmick to get you to spend extra to buy oil from the dealer.
actually no gimmick.

Many trans in recent years use a converter lock up strategy that ''pulses the clutch on = aka PWM'' This slips the clutch for smoother application. These new oils have friction modifers in them so the clutch does not ''chatter'' as it is slipped.

The original post here mentions ''non lock up'' converter... so i suggest use of the fluid he wants.

you can even add engine oil to a automatic trans. A trans with morning sickness in cold weather ( old , hard internal seals) add a quart of 5 - 20 weight engine oil. This bandaid method thickens up the oil enough the trans will often operate till it really dies a bad death. LOL

Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
actually no gimmick.

Many trans in recent years use a converter lock up strategy that ''pulses the clutch on = aka PWM'' This slips the clutch for smoother application. These new oils have friction modifers in them so the clutch does not ''chatter'' as it is slipped.

The original post here mentions ''non lock up'' converter... so i suggest use of the fluid he wants.

you can even add engine oil to a automatic trans. A trans with morning sickness in cold weather ( old , hard internal seals) add a quart of 5 - 20 weight engine oil. This bandaid method thickens up the oil enough the trans will often operate till it really dies a bad death. LOL

I actually did rebuild a few automatic transmissions in years gone by. The last one was in 1990. Almost seems like a lifetime ago. I still have the home-made tools in my roller cabinet. I would love to rebuild another, if the oportunity arises. Trying to keep somewhat busy in this retirement. Just waiting for one of my buddys to drop a trans pan and find a handful of clutch facing. Happy days !
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I guess I don't understand why anyone would want to deviate from Type F, if that's what it calls for either F or FA seem to be available most anywhere, i.e. NAPA, Walmart, Tractor Supply. The same is true for the Dextron lll.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Type F will give slightly firmer, cleaner shifts in GM trans. I have run it many times in 700R4's & 4L60E's. I don't mix types, though. I will fill and drain a couple times (after cycling thru the gears in the shop) to flush out the old, along with a filter change. It's no miracle cure for a wore out, slipping trans though. No problems doing this...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
I would love to rebuild another, if the oportunity arises. Trying to keep somewhat busy in this retirement. Happy days !
too bad you are so far away, I could keep you busy
trans. rebuild, etc, etc,etc,
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
too bad you are so far away, I could keep you busy
trans. rebuild, etc, etc,etc,
I do have a 327 rebuild coming up real soon. Found out yesterday.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 PM

the reason i am considering dexronIII or type f is because i have talked to many different people about thbis subject, wich trans fluid to use in a non lock up A-518, many people have said to use atf+4, but i am not interested in suing +4 because of all the friction modifyers.... and the guy who re-built my transmission told me not to use a synthetic atf in it. he said dexronIII is what i need to use or a non synthetic universal fluid. my old man ran type f in his 727s over the years with great results and i was hoping type f would be ok to use in my transmission since it is a non lock up. i have had a few people say not to use type f in because it has an overdrive but then some say it is fine to use. i cant ask my old man because he passed away, so thats why im asking you guys, figured somone on here would have enough knowledge to know. i have narrowed it down to dexronIII and type f. i would like to run the type f a little more over the dexron just because its got no friction modifyers in it. but then again the dexronIII is not to heavy in friction modifyers and it has better additives? so i been told anyways i dont know that for sure, i know dexIII is newer technology then type f.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Oh boy!
Im a Chevy guy but back in the late 60s I worked for a Ford dealer in Miami,back then they would say use of other than Ford approved fluid would void the warranty,I bought a 69 ford p/u n ran the dog crap out of it on Dextron sold the truck in late 70s with 150gs on the odometer,transmission never missed a lick,I towed car trailers to racetracks with that truck every weekend,towed a 28 foot boat back n forth to the keys,but I changed trans fluid bout twice a year or so,this to me is the most important thing.
If you look at a gallon of O'Reilleys fluid (cheap stuff) it is approved for type f n dextron as well.
The oil in auto trans runs very hot n after a given number of miles will start breaking down,also filters get clogged n restrict flow,making the fluid run even hotter.So while I'm not disputing anything that was said here or advising you to pour Dextron or Mercon fluid in there I gotta tell u.
Change fluid often n your trans will live a lot longer!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM

so when you say oriellys atf are you refering to the orielly global atf? i have looked at that before and i couldnt tell if it was a synthetic or not? i ran the napa house bran dex/mercIII atf in my 727 that was in my 76 four wheel drive truck and never had any issues with it at all. i dropped the pan and changed the filter and filled it back up with dex/mercIII once a year never had an issue with that transmission. The non lock up A-518 i have now is frshly re-built, i'm hoping i dont ever have to mess with this transmission again other then changing filter and fluid. My old man ran type f in his 727s but the 727 in his 70 plymouth cuda had alot of modifycations to it, shift kit, added clutch plates higher line pressure better pump and converter it was bolted behind a 440- 6 pak and that 727 of his was the best shifting auto i have ever driven that thing would tear your head off when it shifted had amazing throttle response and he always told me that type f is the best fluid to run in a torque flight, the A-518 is very simliar to the 727 only differences are the 518 has an overdrive unit attatched to the back and slighly different valve body set up. But if type f works well in the 727 it shouldnt work any different in the non lock A-518 then it does in the 727, correct? i mean if there is any reason type f wouldnt perform the same in a non lock up A-518 as it does in the 727 someone please explain, cause i dont see any reason why it would be any different?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.