Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - which type of welding helmet is best?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'll rate my personal experience as a union welder/pipfitter. 1bad 10 perfect
Fibermetal pipeliners 4 its small veiwing area and aqward shape but its cheap fairly light
Hunstman 5 shape takes a getting used to- big viewing area, cheap, ratchets are solid(stays up)
Jackson std 4.5x5 3 heavy crappy headgear- cheap
Jackson nexgen/or boss 7 auto dark lenses are great big viewing area uses standard covers and are nearly indestructable. I dropped 30 ft off a scaffold hood exploded but the lense still worked and no cracks.
Hobart hood 5 controls on outside terrible design. Lens is good can make covers by cutting std 4.5x5
Speedglas 9100xx 8 the best hood I've ever used /owned clarity is great not as green as with cheaper auto darks hood is extremly comfortable for long days it light. The only bad thing is lenses are special and its stupid expensive I got a smoking deal on a warranty of a different hood and could pass.

I think for home use autodark is the way to go. Get a battery powered not solar because after long periods of no use the solar will die and not work till its sat on sunlight for a few hours. The Jackson nexgen lense is probably my personal favorite for home use cheaters fit and uses std lenses it fits in hunstman hoods witch are better than Jackson. Miller's are a good bang for buck get the biggest viewing area don't worry about grind modes etc if it goes from 9-13 that's all you need. I have owne HF hoods before crap plan and simple. I'd by a good non auto before I'd use one of those again.

The only reason I don't say get a passive hood is the convenience and saftey of the auto dark in wierd positions say under a dash or laying on floor welding exhaust in places. Less likely to arc on something besides what you want to and less flash when your not ready.

Kris,