Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - which type of welding helmet is best?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
You know, I bought one of those, mainly based on your suggestion, even bought the upgraded lens, and I have to say, I HATE it. The lenses are nice and clear (better than most autdarkening ones), especially the gold (I forgot what they're called) upgraded ones, the headgear fits well, the helmet is OK.... so what's the problem???

Well, the flip up bit only seems to adjust well for use in one position. If you always weld at the same bench, or in the same position then great, but since it somewhat relies on gravity to work the tension is only right when the helmet is at one angle. It's not uncommon for me to go from welding at a bench, to welding upside down putting a cage in, to welding under a car (which doesn't work at all if you don't have room, the flip up thing can take too much room a surprising amount of the time. I gave it an honest shot a few times, and it seemed like every time I got started by half way through the job I was futzing with it trying to get it adjusted better. Right now itís not even by my bench, it ended up getting moved out of the way behind the mill, I believe itís covered in a pile of swarf.
I can understand your problem, there are times when it is an issue. I weld all over the car as well and yes it does cause a bit of a pain in about 1% of my welds so for me it's well worth putting up with the bad part for the 99% when it works well for me.

I know one thing is depending on how much you open it things change a lot, I personally open it very little and works well for me. But I have to apologize for my recommendation to you, sorry it didn't work out.

Brian