Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - which type of welding helmet is best?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Tonhammer View Post
Speedglas 9100xx 8 the best hood I've ever used /owned clarity is great not as green as with cheaper auto darks hood is extremly comfortable for long days it light. The only bad thing is lenses are special and its stupid expensive I got a smoking deal on a warranty of a different hood and could pass.

I think for home use autodark is the way to go. Get a battery powered not solar because after long periods of no use the solar will die and not work till its sat on sunlight for a few hours. The Jackson nexgen lense is probably my personal favorite for home use cheaters fit and uses std lenses it fits in hunstman hoods witch are better than Jackson. Miller's are a good bang for buck get the biggest viewing area don't worry about grind modes etc if it goes from 9-13 that's all you need. I have owne HF hoods before crap plan and simple. I'd by a good non auto before I'd use one of those again.

Kris,
Geez, I couldn't disagree more with almost all of your post info. At least from my experience. I had a cheap HF auto darkening before, and after hearing all the cons about them I decided to give it away. It worked great, and even after welding for hours at a sitting I never got eye strain, and could see the welds great. I replaced it with the Speedglass I have now, and I've hated it ever since. I have a terrible time trying to see the weld material, and no matter how I adjust it, it still doesn't give me good view of the work. Tried to trade my son in law the Speedglass to get my old HF helmet back, but he tried it and didn't like the Speedglass.
As for autodarkening solar powered, I've let either the HF or the Speedglass sit for months in a dark cabinet and pulled them out to use, and never had to put them in sunlight or ambient light to charge them. They always work, no matter how long they're stored.