Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - which type of welding helmet is best?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Chorris View Post
I ended up getting a Miller fixed shade helmet for the price of a HF autodarkener.
Not sure of your reasons for getting a fixed shade but there are a couple of good ones and the best reason is better visibility and less distortion, especially with really small electrodes or wire. I gave up on auto dark several years ago for autobody work, I just had too much trouble seeing the darn seam unless it was illuminated by a bright light. This seems to be a common complaint but for most folks the trade off is worth the extra convenience of the auto dark helmets. I finally got a chance to try the chin operated helmet MartinSr talks about and that thing is the cat's meow for sure, it basically has most of the advantages of the auto dark but with the much better visibility of the fixed shade. I like my auto dark and use it a lot but when it comes to delicate welding where visibility really matters it's the fixed shade for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldred For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (04-24-2013)