which type of welding helmet is best? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My very close freind is a machinist and loves the Jackson brand. I use the Jackson NexGen with a Halo X shell and the 370 head gear. Lightweight and super fast. It's an light amber lens that seems to have better clarity of the weld pool than others.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Im a union ironworker foreman (378) i do a lot of welding, everything from stainless tig to FEMA 3/32 rat holes. I just got the lincoln electric torch red hood with exterior shade adjuetment so you can adjust shade on thefly instead of under the hood. I love it, best hood ive ever used. Guts stay adjusted and are comfortable. Hood is light and flexible. 135.00 at home depot.

Last edited by BALTERBUILT; 03-27-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

this is the helmet I have. Love it.
NITRO Blue W40 Variable Auto Darkening Filter Welding Helmet, 9 - 13 Lens | Staplesģ
Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Usually anything over 100 is good for auto dark. For regular hoods thr huntsman hoods are durable
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM

My welding hood experience has been an example of "You don't know what you don't know" I had never used a decent hood until I received a new auto darkening Viking 1840 hood as gift.

WOW!!!! What a difference!!

A good hood is adjustable to greatly improve your comfort level, has a giant viewing area, adjustable darkness setting that actually works etc. etc.
I can honestly say that having a good hood has made me a better welder.
I wish I had not been such a tight *** and bought myself a good hood years ago....
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
You know, I bought one of those, mainly based on your suggestion, even bought the upgraded lens, and I have to say, I HATE it. The lenses are nice and clear (better than most autdarkening ones), especially the gold (I forgot what they're called) upgraded ones, the headgear fits well, the helmet is OK.... so what's the problem???

Well, the flip up bit only seems to adjust well for use in one position. If you always weld at the same bench, or in the same position then great, but since it somewhat relies on gravity to work the tension is only right when the helmet is at one angle. It's not uncommon for me to go from welding at a bench, to welding upside down putting a cage in, to welding under a car (which doesn't work at all if you don't have room, the flip up thing can take too much room a surprising amount of the time. I gave it an honest shot a few times, and it seemed like every time I got started by half way through the job I was futzing with it trying to get it adjusted better. Right now itís not even by my bench, it ended up getting moved out of the way behind the mill, I believe itís covered in a pile of swarf.
I can understand your problem, there are times when it is an issue. I weld all over the car as well and yes it does cause a bit of a pain in about 1% of my welds so for me it's well worth putting up with the bad part for the 99% when it works well for me.

I know one thing is depending on how much you open it things change a lot, I personally open it very little and works well for me. But I have to apologize for my recommendation to you, sorry it didn't work out.

Brian
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

Geez you guys, I'm so jealous. You have so much more selection than we do here in Canada. Welding helmets at Staples? Amazing! Staples here carries nothing but office supplies. I don't see that helmet on Home Depot's site either. Think I'm gonna move down there!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

I have 2 miller auto-shades, a Pro hobby (6 years old) and an Elite(2 years old). I love them both, I use the pro hobby for overhead and dirty/greasy areas and the elite for general shop work. I had an Hobart "hood" and I liked it too because you can use regular glass like a pipeliner flip hood. Unfortunately that shield ended up into a rock crusher and that is when I bought the pro hobby and have stayed miller since.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Ok I'll just say it, in a body class we used nice Miller helmets, but at home I just have a cheapie auto-darkening HF helmet--have been using it for several years now--and it works just fine. I always wear my safety glasses even under my welding helmet to further protect my eyes from the UV. Twice I made a big arc with my face just inches from it and forgetting to put my helmet down. Fortunately I had my safety glasses on and they protected my eyes from the UV. I went home that night in a sheer panic fearing I'd live the burned eyes stories I've read about, even went to sleep with potatoes on my eyes, but never experienced anything. UV won't penetrate a plastic surface so even clear safety glasses offer additional protection.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

Wish I'd read this thread before getting my new welding helmet, after happily using my yard-sale purchase p.o.s. for twenty-plus years and many hundreds of hours.

This thing: Titan Tekz Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmets 41266 - SummitRacing.com for $90 sure was fun until the first time I did aluminum (AC). Doing close work w/ high amps, totally focused-in, the auto-dark failed and blammo, I'm not sure if my eyes are back to the same yet. Yeah, I was a little upset. Summit agreed to take the return, and I'm back to using my old "freind" again, duct-taped up and fraying on the edges. No way will I ever get another auto-dark until I know someone who's had one for years and had it be reliable. Whether it be $30 or $300... Back when auto-darks first came out the shop I worked at tried one and the head welder had it fail once so we didn't use them, and I'm so used to the regular kind it sorta doesn't matter that much for the convenience difference.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM

fifteeen year old harbor freight auto dark hood

I use an old hf hood. I rivited a piece of an old sued jacket to the top and sides of it and it covers the top and sides of my head. No burn spots and it keeps my head warm when in the cold. I use reading glasses when welding, $2 at the dollar store. I'm in my seventies and will probably be dead by the time that the hood fails.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I use a chin operated helmet that I love and have one here at home and work, just never got use to the autodarks.

welding helmets auto darkening Auto Dark alternative Hands free

Brian
SORRY !!!!! But that helmet would aggravate the living hell out of me..

I would have lock jaw by the end of the day...
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
SORRY !!!!! But that helmet would aggravate the living hell out of me..

I would have lock jaw by the end of the day...
Everyone's different I wouldn't work without it. I know it's not for everyone. You may be surprised, but it does sound darn strange don't it! I can certainly understand your point. I didn't go looking for it, it was for sale at the paint store I use to get all my supplies from, just a hundred yards from my shop. It was the only one they had so I bought it. I now have one at work and at home, I really like it.

Brian
Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Everyone's different I wouldn't work without it. I know it's not for everyone. You may be surprised, but it does sound darn strange don't it! I can certainly understand your point. I didn't go looking for it, it was for sale at the paint store I use to get all my supplies from, just a hundred yards from my shop. It was the only one they had so I bought it. I now have one at work and at home, I really like it.

Brian
But !!!! Do you spend 10 to 12 hours welding with it...

Everyday..
Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
But !!!! Do you spend 10 to 12 hours welding with it...

Everyday..
Yes I have, next question.

Brian

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.