Types of Sandblasting (home garage) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Which method of Sand Blasting Do You Prefer?
Pressurized Pot 3 50.00%
Gravity Feed gun 2 33.33%
Siphon Gun 2 33.33%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Types of Sandblasting (home garage)

This thread is about the small sandblaster in a home garage (me), etc., not a shop (but please contribute if you would be so kind).

I have a Harbor Freight 40# Pressurized blaster unit (that I'm having trouble with - different thread).
I decided to try two other methods since I was having probs with the pot.
First, I bought a Harbor Freight gravity feed gun which was about $20, then I bought a Northern Tool siphon gun, which was also about $20.

I found that when I was able to get the pot working, that it removed the paint fast when compared to the other two methods. But again, flow problems made it frustrating.

The gravity feed worked well, but you have to fill the tank(?) on top of the gun fairly frequently. I believe it will work well for small parts. I pull the trigger to get the air going, then open the media valve and turn off the valve whenever I stop blasting.

I really like the siphon gun (even though it removes material relatively slowly also) because I can stick the pick up tube into a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 filled with media.

The only problem here is that when the media is being sucked out of the bucket, it can suck it up and run dry with media all around it except at the pick up tube. Gently kicking the bucket helps, but is a temporary fix.

I keep the bucket slightly tilted, which helps the kicking procedure. Again, GENTLY kicking the bucket keeps the flow from dying (pun intended-ha ha).

The blasting gloves that I put in my home built cabinet were from Harbor Freight's blasting cabinet (I ordered them separately) and they are too tight to take them on and off all the time to adjust the media in the bucket by hand (hence the kicking). Rocking the bucket with the bottom of your foot to distribute the media is shaky at best (could get a second job in the circus I guess).

I'm usually wearing my respirator because my blasting cabinet is not air tight even though I have my dust collector running. I also wear it when I'm pouring the media into the bucket or the tank of the gravity feed gun and the pressurized pot. Pretty much all the time. It's a pain in the butt, but I feel a lot better knowing I'm not breathing that stuff in.

Jump right in, and thanks for your input.
Chaz

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
I have an old siphon gun that works like a charm. As sell as a "Speed blaster" which is what I usually use because I am not doing a lot of blasting. I did get a pressure blaster from the Chinese Red Army store (HF) years ago and it worked like CRAP and brought it back.

Brian
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

only thing in hf worth carrying out the front door is the cash register.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.