Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - "Typical" Hours in a Rebuild?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u View Post
Thanks everyone for putting up with my worries and daft questions

I'm trying hard not to be "that customer"
So I'm trying to educate myself on here before speaking with the guys at the shop

So, again, thank you to everyone that's helping me

I'll try to answer everyone's questions and give some more detail
I'm on my phone right now, so I apologies if I forget a few things

Firstly, I cannot fault the work the guys are doing
It's a very good standard

The engine bay is a little like the e-type jaguars (XK-E's?)
The whole bonnet swings open including the wings and wheel arches making access (and visibility of the body work) very good

The guys are very approachable and are happy for me to turn up and inspect the car

Unfortunately, due to my working, I haven't kept as close an eye on things as I should have
I think I've been too trusting with them

Whilst they're approachable, they never call me for anything other than to say they need some parts or some money

I've no doubt they'll have had to fit and remove the panels numerous times to get the fit correct, but other than that there's been no other disassembly or fitting to do. I stripped the bodytub and chassis completely bare for them

There was a fair amount if rot on the front wings, but they were chopped off and entire new wings fitted
Other than that there was no rot, but there were some pin holes in a few areas

There was no trim or interior or any other work required, just bodywork

The frame needed new outriggers and a front crossmember
No patch work or repair pieces were needed

The panels that had been fitted had been done so correctly, but obviously due to the pressings they needed time spent on them getting the gaps sorted

Nothing needed removing and refitting again

I've had a look through some of my pictures and it's reminded me there was more work than I originally remembered.....but (as a completely newbie with no experience) I still can't understand where the ~700 hours comes from

I think the biggest problem has been managing the customers (my) expectations

I think it's due to me being uneducated and inexperienced in this area
As a result I've let them take control, and now I feel like I've been sucker punched

I've spent over my original plan only to be told were about half way there

I'd like to put it down to bad management from both parties, but I've got a bad taste in my mouth

My project is rolling along and I want to get it finished
How to I regain control over things and get the body and chassis finished without any further shockers?
Thank you so much for your honesty...and I hope you don't mind but I've been trying to read your posts with a British accent in my mind...LOL...so I can better get a grip on the situation.

Before I would tell them that your out of money, get an explanation...it's your car, your right.

What is disturbing is that you only get called if they need money...for parts...are these parts not part of the original plan?

I've done vehicles that where without a doubt larger than your car...I have put in well over 1,000 hours in a vehicle in Paint and Body alone. Little surprises like pin holes can mean a multitude of hours...pinholes generally mean rust...and could be rusted panels with extremely thin sheet metal. This is where the shop needs to step in, call you, explain so that you are at ease and in control.