"Typical" Hours in a Rebuild? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tuff question, but it's also a tiny car. not much area to sand.
Did this shop do your type car before?
This is why it pays to sometimes take a car to a shop that specializes in that brand or model, they charge more per hour but can do the job in half the time.
a blasted body brings it's own issues if it was blasted by a person that wasn't carefull. or used the wrong media..
good luck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM

Last photo:

Thanks again everyone

The car is a '71 Triumph GT6, so it's a tiny little thing

I'm having the car done in single stage, signal red

The car was blasted using the proper media and didn't warp

Quite a lot of the panels had been replaced before the body went to the garage, but there was obviously still a bit of time involved in setting everything up correctly

I know my question was a tough one, with no real answer

I just wanted to make sure 6-8 weeks (240-320) for blocking and painting is about right

As long as no one says its only a one week job I think I can feel a little more relaxed about things

Although I'm still a bit annoyed its going to cost three times more than they thought (after already seeing the car)
Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
That does seem pretty high for blocking and painting no mater how you look at it. And you are right, yes there are unseen but experience teaches you where to look and what to SEE what is in front of you to know these things. There is no reason what so ever why something would TRIPLE in cost.

Brian
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u View Post
Thanks again everyone

The car is a '71 Triumph GT6, so it's a tiny little thing

I'm having the car done in single stage, signal red

The car was blasted using the proper media and didn't warp

Quite a lot of the panels had been replaced before the body went to the garage, but there was obviously still a bit of time involved in setting everything up correctly

I know my question was a tough one, with no real answer

I just wanted to make sure 6-8 weeks (240-320) for blocking and painting is about right

As long as no one says its only a one week job I think I can feel a little more relaxed about things

Although I'm still a bit annoyed its going to cost three times more than they thought (after already seeing the car)
6-8 weeks for that tiny car in single stage, is this a national show car or a driver. it better be a national show winner for that amount of hours on blocking and single stage.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

That's what I was thinking.

Brian
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Oh no, now I'm back to feeling uncertain again

The guy doing the work is on holiday for a couple if weeks beginning tomorrow

I'll go over to the shop once he's back
I think I need to sit down with them and ask them to tell me what they're going to do and how long each stage will take

Could anyone give a very rough estimate on how long it should take to block and paint my little car in single stage?

It'll be a driver, and the undersides and chassis will be stonechipped for protection

There is a little more work to do before they begin the blocking, but if you guys can give me a very rough approximation I can at least go armed with some basic info when I sit down with them to chat
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

We were originally looking at 8-10k (English currency)

So far I've spend 13.5k with an estimated 240-320 hours still to go

I'm thinking this'll be around 24-25k by the time it's finished
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
6-8 weeks for that tiny car in single stage, is this a national show car or a driver. it better be a national show winner for that amount of hours on blocking and single stage.
We know too little, did you see the engine compartment, needs stripping to me and even if you don't I could see a full day of hand-sanding and band aids before spraying a primer and re-sanding again.
We have not seen the jambs, the car may be small but odds and ends like the above can add a lot of hours.
Also Note all the different primers on the car, any shop that put out nice work, show or not is going to sand all that primer off and note the front of hood area by lights, a full size Cadillac would be faster.
Are they readjusting gaps??
The bonnet has to come off to do underneath right, doors off? deck lid off?
There is a whole lot of work to do here, besides just scuff and paint.
I can see where they are looking pretty fair in hour guess at this point.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

It is so hard without seeing it. It wouldn't be right to attack the guy from this side of the pond sitting at my computer in an air conditioned room, you know what I mean?

So there is no way anyone can say what is right and wrong, we can't see it and your image of it may be skewed and paint the wrong picture.

That being said, I don't care how rough this car was, if the panels were new and they simply needed some fine tuning, a skim coat of filler to take care of some imperfections, cleaning up the edges, re-fitting them, 8 hours a panel is a lot of time for this type of thing. A full day, some guy walks into his stall with one of those doors to finish it up to paint ready, a full day is a LONG time for something like this. So at that, 8 hours a panel, a FULL DAY for each panel to get it into paint ready is 72 hours. And again, for paint, your typical paint time for a new door in the collision industry is about 3.5 hours inside and out. Let's give him over twice that at 8 hours, a FULL DAY to paint each panel...that's another 72 hours. So 144 hours would be plenty of time for what you have described. This is IF they din't have to dissemble and re-assemble the car. But even then.......it seems out of line for anything even approaching two or three hundred hours.

Brian
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
We know too little, did you see the engine compartment, needs stripping to me and even if you don't I could see a full day of hand-sanding and band aids before spraying a primer and re-sanding again.
We have not seen the jambs, the car may be small but odds and ends like the above can add a lot of hours.
Also Note all the different primers on the car, any shop that put out nice work, show or not is going to sand all that primer off and not the front of hood area by lights, a full size Cadillac would be faster.
Are they readjusting gaps??
The bonnet has to come off to do underneath right, doors off? deck lid off?
There is a whole lot of work to do here, besides just scuff and paint.
I can see where they are looking pretty fair in hour guess at this point.
And now I back pedal from my previous post, Barry you are right, the condition of the engine compartment and under hood and jambs can make a HUGE difference.

Brian
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

So originally you where looking at between $12,500 and $15,500 US dollars...and you've spent about $21,000 US dollars so far. Anticipating a total cost between $37,000 and $39,000 US dollars. I did the conversion so we can better understand. Was this Paint and Body only or was there any interior work, drive train work...anything that was non paint and body related.

That does sound like a lot of money...but, and no offense to the OP, it would be nice to know exactly what's going on...we are hearing only one side of the story and I'm not taking sides. All I can say is that if a customer of mine was this concerned about time and money spent, I know I would have handled it differently so as to avoid this situation.

Questions to "ant_8u".

How is the shop owner when you approach him...is he appraochable?
Does he ever contact you for anything other than more cash, like we ran into a problem that you need to see before we move forward?
Is there any documentation at all as to what has been done, pictures, notes etc.can the owner justify the time and hours?

Ray
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Believe it or not...I was writing my post when Barry and Martin where posting their response...as I mentioned, we need more information.

Ray
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
And now I back pedal from my previous post, Barry you are right, the condition of the engine compartment and under hood and jambs can make a HUGE difference.

Brian
I back pedal I little, I still think it's a LOT of time if the car didn't have a bunch of rust repair or collision repair that is a LOT of time. 8 hours per panel for body and 8 for paint is a BUNCH of time as I said.

Brian
Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I don't know Brian, there is so much we don't know...how was the frame?...What about the floors?...New panels, how well did they fit? Did the shop need to take panels off and re install them for a better fit? I'd like to hear about the shop owner and I know it in all probability can't happen, but from the shop owner...I'm not taking sides...just don't know.

I've had a few customers that didn't understand, even after they where shown and they signed off on extras with an agreed upon price. I'm in no way saying this happened here with OP but we don't know.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

Damn it Ray, now I need to back pedal again.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.