"Typical" Hours in a Rebuild? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
it's very hard to please the customer cause they simply don't know what's involved. Heck, we don't even know what the car was like. It is a small car but there's so many issues when dealing with bodywork that when you're doing old cars there's a lot to deal with. As a body man, I'll tell you straight up, and sorry to offend anyone, but bodywork IS the hardest thing to do in a shop when the quality is good. Everyone seems to think it's just a piece of cake to make everything near perfect but it's not. So when you pick up your car don't just go thanking the painter cause good body men make painters better, but when they buff it out perfect they return the favor. The unsung heros in a shop, the guys doing the dirty work, and the ones always pissing people off over time due to a lack of understanding of what the job entails. I did a 55 Chevy quarter two months ago and the boss thought it was an 8 hour job. Me and the old man just laughed at that one. They knew about some of the stuff I dealt with but they didn't know about the lower rear body panel pushed in, they didn't consider all the contours that had to be cut and welded. Turned out to be more like a 32 hour job but in the end it was worth it.
Tech 69 so right you are. Like I have always said bodywork is very difficult work even at the poorest levels let alone at the highest levels. All the paint does is magnify the bodywork and prep, the more perfect it has to be the longer it will always take $$$. I know a lot of people that try tackleing bodywork on their own cars and they always say the same thing, I don't know how you can do this every day!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I don't know either how we do this everyday. I ask myself that same question.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone

I'm so confused right now

The guys at the shop are always very friendly and welcoming towards me, and the standard of work they've done is very impressive

I started this thread because I was concerned about how many hours it was taking to get the car done

**I do have to say though, as a complete newbie to professional bodywork, what I 'think' is a long time could in fact be completely acceptable......but I don't have the experience to know if that's the case or not. I didn't want to be 'that customer' so I thought I'd ask you guys and you could set me straight**

So, whilst I don't know, and I'll never really know if they're telling the truth about the hours they've spent on my car, I'm willing to lay my life on the line and say they're definitely lying about my chassis to inflate my bill.....it's still got my welds on it

Bottom line is I'm concerned about what they're telling me, and I know they've already lied to me at least once

I'm going to collect my stuff later today. I'm taking my father and a couple of friends with me. Non of us are big tough-guy bullies, but both my father and I have won (the English version of) The Golden-Gloves so we should be ok

I've told the guys at the shop that I'm broke, and that's why I'm having to take the car. I haven't tried to confront them, so I'm not expecting any trouble
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Good luck..
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

it's always good to get progress pics or show up once a week to ensure they are in fact working on the car. when I track my time it's never exact just a rough estimate. If I worked on a car for 1.5 hours I might put one hour or two on the sheet. As long as you pay up you won't have any problems. Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Last edited by tech69; 07-12-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u View Post
Thanks everyone

I'm so confused right now

The guys at the shop are always very friendly and welcoming towards me, and the standard of work they've done is very impressive

I started this thread because I was concerned about how many hours it was taking to get the car done

**I do have to say though, as a complete newbie to professional bodywork, what I 'think' is a long time could in fact be completely acceptable......but I don't have the experience to know if that's the case or not. I didn't want to be 'that customer' so I thought I'd ask you guys and you could set me straight**

So, whilst I don't know, and I'll never really know if they're telling the truth about the hours they've spent on my car, I'm willing to lay my life on the line and say they're definitely lying about my chassis to inflate my bill.....it's still got my welds on it

Bottom line is I'm concerned about what they're telling me, and I know they've already lied to me at least once

I'm going to collect my stuff later today. I'm taking my father and a couple of friends with me. Non of us are big tough-guy bullies, but both my father and I have won (the English version of) The Golden-Gloves so we should be ok

I've told the guys at the shop that I'm broke, and that's why I'm having to take the car. I haven't tried to confront them, so I'm not expecting any trouble
I don't care what they have done on the car, I don't care if they worked for two weeks on one fender and made it flawless with no filler and charged you $1 for the work, if you KNOW that frame is the same one and they are telling you it is a different frame, there is NO WAY I would leave the car there, PERIOD. I couldn't give a guy like that a dollar of my money.

Brian
Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

this is true. If they lie about one thing what's to say they don't lie about something else? Honesty is very important in this trade.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 AM

Last photo:

Shhhhhh........

She's sleeping

Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

She deserves a good pampering. She had a rough day yesterday.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

If you were here or I were there, we'd be teaming up on it and making it what you want. I hope you find a shop to make her right or the ability to do it yourself.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.