Is this typical of parts suppliers? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this typical of parts suppliers?

Hello. Im pretty disappointed and frustrated with a local company I delt with to purchase a new hood. $600 plus taxes, for a brand new steel cowl induction hood for my Monte Carlo. It is a Goodmark industries hood, so I expected quality.

Upon opening the box, there was a rather large (to me, at least, expecting a near perfect hood) bind in the corner of the hood. It looked as if the hood had been dropped fairly nicley on the corner, which stretched some metal out quite high about 8" from the front along the side.

I promptly phoned the supplier and told them, and brought the hood back. They looked at it and their response?

"A bodyman could fix that in an hour? You got it for a deal anyway." I told them my opinion, told them to take the hood, and told them they would not hear from me again, no matter how long I was needing parts for.

Am I expecting too much for NEW parts to be in new condition? I know they won't always fit perfect and may need some minor modifications, but is "an hours" worth of work, and according to my teacher "plus prep and primer" normal for new parts?

Sorry about the ranty post, I would just like to know if I should expect to be treated like this even if I get from another supplier?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

can you post up a picture?. An hour is supposed to be expected for used parts but not aftermarket..they usally will deduct 10% for "acceptable damage" or not send it at least in my part of the woods..

Last edited by milo; 12-21-2007 at 12:24 AM. Reason: spellin
Old 12-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

It should be delivered to you in perfect condition, but if you didīnt open and inspect it with the delivery man there you could find it hard proving the damage was not done by yourself.
If I get damaged goods I always tell them, the money I paid with was in perfect condition.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 AM

Last photo:

I didn't have a camera on my phone, and I was at the shop.

We picked up the hood from the Company which we ordered it through, and in less than half an hour, had it opened up at the shop. Thats when we phones. I kind of feel cheated, especially when they said it wasnt a big deal and I got a 'deal' on the part....$600...great deal
Old 12-21-2007, 01:23 AM

that happens a lot in the collision industry and the distributor usually discounts the damage time from the amount of the part.
dont know how much business you do with them. i once had to go through a stack of mustang hoods to find one that was not damaged.
because they wouldnt discount for damage. but when you think of the hour and a half i spent looking for an undamaged one i could have repaired a damaged one.
cest la vie i guess.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Not all suppliers are made equal..I have dealt with some who are as you say and then I have dealt with some who will give a bit on a damaged pieces..Which I say they should have done and made the customer a bit more happy..By acting that way it is a bad thing to do for their business as that kind of word gets around..

Sam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.