Tyvec inside garage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tyvec inside garage

I have a detached two car garage that I insulated last year with 2.5" closed cell foam board that has a black fiberglass lining on each side. The insulation was installed between the studs and rafters. I would like to wrap the inside of the garage with Tyvec so help seal the dust in from the insulation and make the walls white to help reflect light. I also like the added benefits for helping to keep the garage warm in the winter. What I don't know is which side of the tyvec should face the inside of the garage? I am thinking I want the writing exposed inside the garage so any moisture in the garage from heating it with a torpedo heater will not get into the insulation. It would also allow any moisture in the insulation area to come out. Is this correct?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

From the Tyvek site:

15. Can DuPont™ Tyvek® be used with the lettering facing in?

DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap®, DuPont™ Tyvek® StuccoWrap®, DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™, DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap®, and DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® D are equally effective in both directions. However, DuPont™ Tyvek® StuccoWrap®, DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap®, and DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® D have a specially engineered surface that should be placed with the grooves in a vertical direction.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Const_G..._US/index.html

Keep in mind it is flammable.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

thanks for the info
Old 11-05-2010, 02:46 PM

TYvec in garage

IMO you might want to consider drywalling the garage rather than using the Tyvec.
The drywall is fire proof and will also cut down on moisture, noise and heat transmission as well as keep the temperature moderate.
If it is an open garage, rather than doing it yourself, consider hiring pros to do the job. They would probably knock out the job in one day including the ceiling and when you consider the value of you time and effort the Pros might be cheaper. Ask them to do a garage quality mud and Spackle job. Then you could prime and then paint the walls and ceiling gloss white yourself. The prime and painting could be done with a spray gun or a super large roller. Remember it is not like you are doing you living room. The gloss white will reflect light and make the whole place much more enjoyable. The gloss white will clean up easily too. I'm a homeowner handyman and have done this sort of thing and I will never, ever try to hang drywall again. I'll hire the pros.

Walt in CT
Old 11-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

I would love to drywall it but don't have any money. I also want to keep the ceiling rafters exposed which would be very time consuming with drywall. I appreciate the input though. Some day I will drywall it. Is tyvec more flammable than the wood studs and rafters in the garage already?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Put it this way.....are wood shavings more flamable than a chunk of 2x4? I didn't know Tyvek would burn, but it's very thin, so as it does, it wouldn't take much for it to catch.

I had a fire in my garage. Only thing that saved it was I installed a full inch of fire-proof gyp-rock (drywall) on the ceiling. Covered it with 4x8 sheets of 3/8 and then went over it again with 12x4 sheets of 5/8.

If you don't have the cash now, I think I'd leave it open studs....probably less likely to catch and I would think, easier to put out of it did.

Buy a fire-extinguisher....or two. And make sure you know how to use them. That won't cost a lot.

By the way, never, ever, never change a gas tank in your garage with a kerosene heater going.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argess
By the way, never, ever, never change a gas tank in your garage with a kerosene heater going.
I am guessing that is how your fire started?

I have a fire extinguisher in the garage and it is not one of those little toy ones most people have.

I will not do the tyvec and start saving up to do drywall. Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

Good Guess. Changing the gas tank in an old RX7. Tank did not have a drain plug, so there was a bit of gas still in it. Got the tank out. Started pouring the gas out into a proper gas container using a funnel. Funnel had a very fine filter screen and the odd time the funnel would over-fill and a bit got on the floor.

Spread over the floor until it got to the kerosene heater. I saw a flicker of light and looked over to see a wall of fire coming towards me. I only made it 1/2 way to the door before I couldn't see due to black smoke, but I got out and called the Fire Dept. My big fear was that this was April 1st and I thought they might think it a hoax, but they showed up.

Fire also caught the battery of my 66 Mustang on fire. I didn't know a lead-acid battery could burn like that. Most underhood damage to the Mustang was from the foam the fire dept used. Very caustic and rusted everything.

Plastic smoke alarm on wall dripped down the wall like candle wax. Plastic coated handles on various tools melted, and some of those tools were on the floor, the coolest spot.

Fireproof gyp-rock was all that saved my garage. There was living space above the garage (summer guest house), and I was told the building code called for a full inch of the fireproof stuff because of that. Following the code turned out to be a very good idea.

In hindsight, the whole thing was my stupidity....a stupid accident, but I have yet to hear of a "smart" accident. I still feel stupid though. There easily could have been an explosion vs just catching fire.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

wow, thank you for sharing that story. I am glad you made it out ok. I will think twice before pouring anything highly flammable when I have a heater on the floor running now. I think I will be upping my priorities to get drywall in the garage.

I was wondering why you wanted an inch of drywall, makes sense now. I think I will just do 5/8" since it is a detached garage. Did you use the green stuff, mold and mildew resistant?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

It wasn`t green, but not sure green was available then, or maybe it depends on the brand. But it was marked Fire-Proof or Fire-Resistant. Mildew resistant would be a good idea though in a non-heated garage.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Just a hint. If your garage has 9' walls and you plan on finishing it at some point, buy "stretch rock". It is 4-1/2' wide. Hang it horizontal and the tape seam will be waist high. This saves from having to piece a 12" strip in and having another seam to finish.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

use the cheap thin metal siding...
metal siding on the ceiling and walls is the only way to go..
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

when i did my garage, i insulated, then put up that clear plastic as a barrier then drywalled.. did the ceiling the same way..

if i had to do over again i would have used the thinnest metal siding i could find for the ceiling and walls
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

what metal siding are you guys talking about? Can someone post a link with a picture?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

metal ceiling

u can look into lowes, home depot stores. they carry mtl roofing..

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.