Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - U Coat it floor coating
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Vince,

I didn't reply to your post at first since it sounded like you had made up your mind about U-Coat-It and since I used another product, I had nothing to add.....
However, now that Roger has opened the door and told you what he used, I'll now do the same.
After investigating a lot of different brands, mostly from reading threads on The Garage Journal , I decided to use the Epoxy-Coat brand. I found that with the U-Coat-It brand, it was multiple coat process with the color coat first and then a highly recommended clear coat over the color.
Epoxy-Coat is a very thick one-coat epoxy that does not need a clear coat on top. In fact the manufacturer recommends not to use a clear top coat at all.
Just like Roger, I have documented my application here:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...light=steve392
It's a "lessons learned" write-up documenting the whole process. After over two years of use, the floor still looks great. I do not "baby" this floor. I drag a floor jack around on it with no ill effects. The only time I cover up the floor when doing work is when welding. Then I put down a welding blanket just to make sure. The floor has lost a little of its shine where I do most of my work, but cleans up real well with some Simple Green. I've spilled gasoline, oil, and anti-freeze on the floor, and although I wipe it up as soon as I see it, I see no ill effects.
As 30modela stated, the biggest and most important part of the whole job is the prep work, regardless of which brand you use.

Hope this helps,
Steve