Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - U Coat it floor coating
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Vince,

I can back up what Steve says about EpoxyCoat since I have recently used it too.
I used the EpoxyCoat in the 320 ft2 clean room of my new workshop. (It is a 100% solids epoxy designed for a single coat without a clear.)
I used one 3 gallon kit which was a 15 mil coat over the 320 ft2.
and I thought it was the perfect amount. Although they say the 3 gallon kit will cover 450 ft2, I think that is stretching it too much. They provide flakes with their kit, but personally, I would not use them (I didn't). IMO, flakes are better with a system that does use a clear coat over them.
The one thing I wish I had done was to have thinned the mixture a little before applying. I did end up with roller marks as it doesn't self level that well. However, I am fine with that as I wasn't trying for a perfect look for the clean room. It will be where most of my heavy duty work will get done.

Just for reference, for the amount of epoxy U-Coat-It recommends applying, the color ends up being 3 mils thick and the clear 2 mils thick for a total dry thickness of 5 mils.
Compare that to the thickness of the EpoxyCoat and you can see why the U-Coat-It is just a marketing gimmick.
My Wolverine floor will be over 27 mils total dry thickness.

Roger