Hot Rod Forum banner

U Coat it floor coating

80K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  hduff 
#1 ·
Need some input on this floor coating system. I would like opinions from people who have actually used it, no anecdotal opinions please. I have seen the videos and been to the web site, and have seen reviews of it on TV, but you know how much of that is BS.

How well does it hold up to what we would typically spill on it?

How well does it hold up to rolling steel roller jacks over it, and jack stands?

I know expecting it to not chip if I drop a starter or water pump on it is expecting a little too much, but what about dropping hand tools on it, will it chip?

Thanks
Vince

#28 ·
Check this out:

http://www.alphagarage.com/

He uses a few pictures from my Gas Station themed workshop in his gallery.

The Wolverine is excellent quality. My floor is coming up 3 years old and has held up really well. I'm really glad I went with the upgrade urethane clearcoat versus the epoxy clear coat. I used the epoxy clearcoat on my workbenches and it has yellowed some near the windows. No surprise though as it's known clear epoxy will yellow in sunlight and urethane doesn't.

I have a writeup on the Garage Journal of my Wolverine floor install if you are thinking about going this route.

#30 ·
floor coating

recently opened and upholstery shop to support my restorations. painted floor with Devoe epoxy. They sold me the wrong clear an ruined my floor.
leasons learned. I rented a floor snader from Sunbelt Rentals (about $100 with stones) took 7 hrs for 1000 sq ft of rough floor. If you do not sand, you must acid etch with muratic acid from a swimming pool supply company (dilute 28% acid by 1/2 to 1/3) and wash off. Seal with concrete sealer. roll this on with a roller. It goes on very thin. I did 1000 sq fet with one gallon and a fine nap roller. Let dry for 24 hours. then with fine nap roller roll on unthinned 2 part epoxy floor coating very quickly in 10ft x10ft areas. I used 3 2galon kits for 1000 ft. I bought colored paint ships and sprinkled on floor and thenclear coated. Grab handfull of chips and toss upwards into the air. Let dry for 24 hours and roll on 2 part epoxy clear coat. PPG, Sherwin Williams, Devoe all sell about the same product at about the same price. Devoe has a good color selection, but I guess I will have to hire a lawyer to get my floor redone, because they sold me the wrong clear and it ruined my beautiful job. Even with the yellowed clear coat my floors look a 100 time better than they did and they are much easier to sweep and keep clean.
Good Luck
Fred at apollosigns.com

#31 ·
I used the search function of this website and read for hours , all of the posts related to floor coating products and procedures . I still have not come to a " concrete " (pun intended) conclusion as to what to use or if I want to do it at all . I thought I would revive this thread to see if anyone has any new product reviews , especially in regards to the por-15 floor armor coatings . A previous poster asked for feedback from guys that have actually used it but it kind of died there . I would love to hear from guys that not only have done this recently but from those of you whose floor coating is a few years old now to see how it is holding up . Thanks in advance for the info . This is a great site ! Choptop26

#33 ·
roger1 , thanks for the input . I have looked at the Wolverine products and compared them to the others and it looks like a superior system for several reasons . I would like to use it if it just wasn't so expensive . I am sure I only want to coat the floor one time but right now it's just not in the budget . I was looking for something less expensive with good results . Maybe I should just wait until the budget allows the " good stuff " . I would still like to hear about other's experiences .

#35 ·
As far as value per dollar I'm sure you are right about that . It's just the total out of pocket right now doesn't work for me . It is definitely my floor of choice , but I was looking for other alternatives that aren't quite as costly but still do a respectable job . I hope to be able to do the wolverine floor but need a backup plan in case the money just doesn't come . Anyone use the Por-15 Floor Armor ? I've read quite a few posts that are a couple of years old now and am hoping to get some feedback as to how well their floors have held up . Thanks .

#37 ·
I was kinda thinking the same thing Stick . I know folks are pleased with por-15 products in general , but the fact that I can't find any feedback on their floor coating anywhere , speaks volumes . If it was good stuff , you would expect to see testamonials all over the internet . Thanks for the observation !

#38 ·
This thread is a little old, but I note that nobody responded to a request for a POR-15 floor installation info. Some can be found at the Garage Journal.

tl;dr -- Fast Cop had bubble sin the floor from installation issues. His installation was in 2007 and he never completed his thread, no response to a 2014 PM. In this thread, Fast Cop indicates he has no issues after 2 years.

In this thread at Garage Journal, Value experienced coating failure from hot tires.

#39 ·
I don't see any mention in this post about two component polyester urethane floor coatings. Having been in the industrial coatings business for 25 years and having dealt with some of the industry leaders in floor coatings, most of them will choose the polyester urethane over epoxy.Mercedes-Benz and high-end dealerships usually coat their shop floors with this type of product.This type of floor coating offers a high-gloss, and is resistant to all types of chemicals. It is pricier than epoxies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.