u joint removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 04:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

u joint removal

Hi, I've removed one side of the front axle on my 94 ranger 4x4 cause the u-joints are bad...I'm trying to take out the joints, but having problems. Turns out that there are no clips holding it in, or none that I can really see. It's kind of weird, but the face of the bearing cap looks just like the replacement, but the replacement comes with clips... any ideas?

also, how do you work on the yolk attached to the transfer case? I can't seem to remove it. Thanks, Adam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Are there little globs of what might look like plastic on the ears where the bearing cups are?

I know that GM uses a melted nylon to hold them in..
I had that problem once and a GM tech told me to heat it with a propane torch and the plastic stuff comes squirting out like a big zit! It works!
The preferred method is to use a arbor press.

Don't get it too hot.....
The new ones require clips usually on the inside of the cross..
Old 12-10-2005, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

its a 94 ford, so it may be inside the cross, the replacements have the outside clips tho
Old 12-10-2005, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

Maybe they gave you the wrong parts?
Just a thought... Do you have the little globs? They are usually the size of the buttons on your watch, maybe a little larger.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

So yup, in the cross, little clips that don't bend...I'm still having a ****** of a time getting em out. Bought a press for this, to small with the sockets...any good ideas? Thanks, Adam
Old 12-10-2005, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

You can't get the clips off? Or the bearing caps?
I have almost always been able to get the clips off with a small chisel or screw driver and a hammer.. Soak them with a good penetrating oil..
Once I had to cut the cross out with a torch and just left the clips, they push to the inside anyway..

If the caps are stubborn, there are mixed opinions on this..The main thing is common sense.
Put the yoke in your press and warm the ears while under pressure from the press. DON'T get it red hot! That will make it brittle.
When I have done it like this in the past, I hear a pop or ting and they easily press out the rest of the way.
Some guys say never heat the yoke....
I have and never had any problems.
We did my dad's Astro van 6 years ago and it now has 190k with no problems.
Also did the same to the ole 85 chev plow truck 10 years ago with no problems since, and that thing works hard pushing snow!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

1994 ranger does have inside clips, that you have already found out. if you have replacement ones with outside clips, they are wrong.like basementhotrod said, use a small chisel and hammer to get them off. lay the open end of the crosser in a open vise and tap on the yolk with a hammer. be careful not to damage the yolk.if it is stuck, try hitting the end cap. this will usually loosen the rust. good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 AM

Last journal entry: ok im on to my next big dream beast
Last photo:

take the u-joint out i just put it into a vise and find a socket that is barely smaller than the caps and tap it a time or two then use the screwdriver or chisel method use safety goggles and just give it a good swing it should pop right out then rotate 180 in the vise and tap the other cap the first side should start coming out of the other side then this will give you more than enough room to get the other clip off the other side and finish driving it out fot the opposing side rinse and repeat LOL

as far as the driveline youre having trouble with you will have small u bolts or small caps over the u joint holding it inplace remove the four bolts and then they usually just slide out of the transfer case on the front side of the driveline good luck

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.