u want a real career? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2002, 03:33 AM
old member

Wiki Edits: 0

Post u want a real career?

i'm 52 years old...i have spent 28 years sewing seats for a living.i'm not wealthy.i have 2 mortgages...2 car payments,the utility bills are always due...i went to school to be an artist,and i sew seats...don't get me wrong,i luv what i do,but,i shoulda been a pinstriper...a hundred bucks for paint & brushes,some practice,low overhead,quick turnover,affordable product etc.
every striper i know has a nice ride,big house,peace of mind...some i know,even have their own planes!and they work when they want to!!!and they get vacations!!wow!!a vacation!!!yea,a pinstriper...that's what i wanna be!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2002, 08:38 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Well, hey - if it makes you feel any better, when I see nice pinstriping, I say "Oh, that's nice." When I see a nice interior, I say "Holy carp!"

Most owners will spend more time sitting inside the vehicle than admiring the pinstriping. Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to a great pinstriping job, but I think their work is one of the least noticed things about a car.

I looked at your photo album and all I can say is keep up the good work!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:24 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Damn vintage, are you trying to scare me? I'm a young guy in this business, went to school and got a bachelors degree in Business Marketing, and I also have a strong background in art and design, my dad was a self-employed industrial design/commercial artist his whole life. I always wanted to own a business of my own, I always hated working for someone else. I have always been into and around street rods my whole life, and I literally fell into the field of upholstery. Custom interiors have always interested me, for as long as I could remember. Maybe I won't get filthy rich, but even though the economy is supposedly so bad, I am still doing really well, having work lined up through the first of May 2003. And with a small retail and mail order portion of the business in the works, along with a few interior related products of my own in the works, I hopefully will be able to live a decent life. Just don't scare me like that man!
Old 12-22-2002, 12:58 AM

Last photo:

you know what, i just gave up a career as a mechanical engineer to go back to university, i made 90.000 a year doing a soul-crushing mindnumbing job, where i was never ever home and spent the money on.. well i dont really know where it went, Now i am doing something i like, and ive never been happier, well i cant afford an airplane now but who gives a s#it?

i say do somthing you like and if you can make a living of it.. you should definately not complain.

but if you want to try somthing new, start working with the local waterjet cutter, and record your patterns, so whenever you do an interior youve done before you call him up, and a day after all the fabric and foam arrives cut exactly to spec and with zero waste,

that way you can even hire a parttimer... to sew the routine stuff and worry about talking to costumers and advertizing etc. I guess what i am trying to say is that there are many ways to do somthing interesting within your core competence. and if you really want to pinstripe, do that when the interior is being sewn.. :-) and call it "Vintage customīs" or what ever..

just dont think of yourself as haveing to stay in the same track just because you are 52..

good luck with it

Jakob

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: deuce_454 ]</p>
Old 12-22-2002, 02:32 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hell I wish I could do either one. Can't draw and have to get the wife to sew a patch for me. My forte is machining and tool design. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Kevin
Old 12-22-2002, 02:33 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey Deuce,
You got a PM. Check it out!!

Kevin
Old 12-22-2002, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

got the PM kevin 45, no offence intended, I simply meant to illustrate my point, i guess my sense of humor can be a little rough arround the edges sometimes.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:11 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Yeah, vintage the grass is always greener on the other side, but it still needs mowed (maintained). I've seen your work in the profile nice...as it should be in your profession. Being a low tech. low budget rodder I plan to do as much as I can for personal satifaction and monetary reasons and when I get down to upholstry I'll try to do as much as I can but I know I don't have the equipement and skill to do it all so now that I know that kriskustoms is here I'll be looking him up for the things I can't accomplish by myself. Glad to know he's there. I'd come to your shop vintage but your much too far from me. Keep up the good work, vin. (I'd come to your shop if it were feasable but don't tell krisk)

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.