Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - UGGGGGH! so tired of misinfo!!
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
I am soooo sick of people giving bad info! I guy I work with is thinking of building an early 80's big block chevy. Some fella starts spouting about needing 1974 orange or blue block heads "because those engines are better". My response was that from mid 70's up through the 80's, none of the productions heads are really spectacular like they were pre-1972, and to get good head info, casting #'s were far better than paint colour. I mean, really, it has been 38 years since 1974, the block could have been painted 10 times or more, so what colour was it really?

Sorry, had to vent a bit.
Well, a few things, the last big block in a car was '75-76 depending on whom you ask, most say 1975.
the 80's big blocks, have peanut port heads more times than not.. unless it was an over the counter crate engine..
so your response is no better than the guy your ranting about, because g.m. sold a boat load of ls6 crate engines, and lesser oval port crate engines,
so if your buddy goes buy your statement and automaticly writes of heads from the years you listed, he'll miss out on a lot of heads..
casting #'s are helpfull, sometimes, but can mean zero. as many a head has had bigger valves added, port work, bowl work, in the 20-40 years since the day they where cast..
your response isn't all that much better than the paint colour one..
as the info given is not totally true, or close to fact