UGGGGGH! so tired of misinfo!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
So the gold motor is the 350 Rocket, right! Cool!

As for someone else posting the same thing, that's a good thing for the OP.
If he here's different answers, he's gotten nowhere.
This is what's important.
Yeh man! A rocket.Smokey painted most of his engines gold,n they were rockets
You no what when I post the same thing some else does I always say such n such is right.or qoute it.
A lot of power can be gotten from closed chamber BB heads on the street,be surprised what a little milling and port matching will do!
Just about any engine can be Hot rodded from flathead Fords to Hudson Hornets. Remember the Twin H Hudson? Won a lot of races.
With rods bout as big round as my pinky

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
r.
"3/4 cam" - This one still makes me laugh. When I get told by someone they have one I ask them where did they get 3/4 of a engine from.
I've got a 3/4 cam. Its in 3/4 of an engine! Its called a V6!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
The whole "3/4" cam is a common description because it is sort of a generic term. No one is really wrong for using it, it's just a generic term meaning not quite a "full race" cam, "Three quarters" of one. It was used for years, unless you are really into the subject, it would sound perfectly normal. It was that common a reference for many, many decades.

Brian
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

Actually, I believe that some famous (or infamous) cam grinder actually marketed a "3/4 Race cam". To quote from tilden technologies:

"In the early 1950's the most popular original camshaft designers were the legendary Ed Winfield, the father of hotrodding, and Cliff Collins of Harman-Collins. If you look a Huntington's 1951 book you will find the specs for their cams listed. We've also listed some of their cams on our Flathead Performance Cams page. There were lots of cam grinders that copied Winfield and Harman-Collins cams, but these two were the designers and innovators in the early days. It was popular to refer to cams as a 1/2 Race or Semi grind and a Full Race grind. Later, there was a call for an intermediate grind between these two. To fill this demand, Ed Winfield took the intake lobe from his full race cam and the exhaust lobe from his semi cam and called it a 3/4 Race cam (see Flathead Performance Cams). It was literally half way between a full race and 1/2 race cam. Since that time, 3/4 Race has become a generic term for a high performance street cam, i.e. something less than a race cam."

AND by the way I seem to recall that the Olds 350 said Oldsmobile Rocket 350 on the aircleaner lid - so yes, it gets called the Olds Rocket engine. Of course no-one ever calls the Chev motor a Turbofire etc, but that's the breaks!

Last edited by Dave57210; 02-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
Actually, I believe that some famous (or infamous) cam grinder actually marketed a "3/4 Race cam"

Don't quote me on WHO is was, but I think his name might have been Duntov!

AND by the way I seem to recall that the Olds 350 said Oldsmobile Rocket 350 on the aircleaner lid - so yes, it gets called the Olds Rocket engine. Of course no-one ever calls the Chev motor a Turbofire etc, but that's the breaks!
Like I said, often "wrong" info is simply "different" info. It's like the Buick 300 small block, it says "Wildcat" on the air cleaner. People will call them a "Wildcat" engine in it is miles from a 401 that you would have found in the Wildcat of the same vintage. Are they wrong, no.

Brian
Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

"Olds Rocket V8" is sorta like when someone says "its a 401 Buick Nailhead" -
I guess they feel they have to distinguish it from all the the Buick 401's that (apparently) weren't nailheads?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
"Olds Rocket V8" is sorta like when someone says "its a 401 Buick Nailhead" -
I guess they feel they have to distinguish it from all the the Buick 401's that (apparently) weren't nailheads?
This is true but again, it's how it's been said for so long that it becomes the norm. The Nailhead is such a unique motor, its name MUST be said just as a shock factor.

The thing is, when you are talking to someone who doesn't know, that extra description is needed, or at least thought to be needed.

This discussion reminds me of all the guys who use to call my brothers 39 Ford Standard a 38. They would go as far as to ask him as one guy did "What year is that" and he would say "it's a 39, a 39 Standard" and explain what the "Standard" was. The guy walked away saying to his friend, "It's still a 38". I had the same thing with my 48 Chevy pickup back when there were none of them at shows. I would have a guy ask what year and say in a sarcastic tone something like "It sure looks a lot like my brothers 53". double

Am I going to get mad? I remember when I would have. Now, that sort of thing is more about entertainment for me than anything else.

Brian
Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It was my understanding that the terms "3/4 cam" came from the flathead Ford days. And sure, I seen some magazine ads way back in the 80's on the 3/4 cam for a sbc, only what I'm getting at here is the majority of those who tell me they have a 3/4 cam don't even know what it is or where the term came from, they heard it from someone else who likely knew just as much as they did. As for the rest of that stuff, like "350 rocket" it's beyond me where they got that info from, as you could take any GM 350 be it chevy, buick, olds, pontiac and paint it gold or just tell them it's a rocket and that's all it takes. However, these people speak as if it's the fastest thing ever, same thing goes for the "police interceptor" and so on. If what I said isn't believed just ask anyone who's from down here in the deep south as I am or come down here and listen for yourself. It won't be long before you hear somebody mention a 350 Rocket if you speak about ANYTHING automotive.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

I have to tell you on the "Police intercepter" there WERE different cars created for the police, Still are today! I have seen sixties cars with trick vented brakes, higher speedometers and such than the "common" man would have available to them.

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I have to tell you on the "Police intercepter" there WERE different cars created for the police, Still are today! I have seen sixties cars with trick vented brakes, higher speedometers and such than the "common" man would have available to them.

Brian
Brian
Is that kinda like the Blues Brothers drove?
Al
Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

I don't know but I do know that the term "Intercepter" is a widely used term in the special order of police cars throughout America. The cars ARE different with heavy duty suspension and brake parts, charging systems, some even have different lighting systems. It is a common term and though it may be over used, the "police" or "Intercepter" models are as widely used as "Rally Sport" or "SS" or any other model name.

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Here are a couple of quick examples of brake parts for instance. The police car package used larger wheel cyl, the same as in the Station wagon.

http://www.performanceonline.com/196...E-VEHICLE-EACH

http://www.impalas.com/power-brake-b...y/50-1002.html

Here is a 2012 being referred to as a "PPV" Police Pursuit Vehicle.

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gall.../photo_19.html

My 1965 Buick Gran Sport literally had "police car" type brakes and bearings. All 65 Gran Sports used a full boxed frame, the convertible frame, they all had larger brakes and wheel bearings from the station wagon as well. The rear axle bearings are station wagon and Gran Sport only, hard as hell to come by in fact.

This Gran Sport package provided these extra heavy duty parts. Every single one of the Gran Sports had them, same as with a Police or Interceptor optioned car.

Here is a "PPV" or "Intercepter" speedometer in a 74 Dodge "police" optioned car.

And YES "police" or "Interceptor" optioned cars were made to go faster, period, that is a fact. Just as my Gran Sport was made to go faster and drive harder, so was a Vette with J56 brakes and a 36 gallon tank.

These "Interceptors" what ever you want to call them WERE factory hot rods and still are today! They WERE built much like the SS or Shelbys or "light weights", they were built to be faster and handle better.

They are the real deal and anyone who doesn't know this is missing out on a rich piece of American performance.

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

Here is a very cool link to a web site dedicated to MSP (Michigan State Police) cars, very cool stuff! http://home.comcast.net/~sgtsletten/...ars_1961-1970/

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

3/4 race cams where not only avalible for Flatties, I put a 3/4 race Mellings cam in my 55 T-Bird in the sixties.
As far as Police Interceptors go years ago I bought a green and white 61 Buick Le Sabre 2-door hardtop
I went to do a valve job on it, got my heads set,wrong head set. It wasn't a 364 it was a 401. You couldn't bet a 401 in a Le Sabre in 61. I ent to put a new axle bearing in it and wrong part again. It had a much larger rear end than it was suppose too. And so on and so on. One day while cleaning the interior ( must have been a hot date) I peered down through the insturment cluster and noticed at the very bottom of the speedo was the word "Police" Yeah the Cops got come special cars. Wished I had it back again.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I guess I should have explained my point slightly better. I wasn't referring to a police interceptor car, I was referring to the engine. I see ex cop cars running around my town quite often and they all have the interceptor badging on the rear. However I'm speaking as I've heard many, usually the same guys who have no clue about cars say they know of a car with a interceptor engine in it and it falls almost in the same catagory as "rocket" does. In many cases the car in question is something with a front wheel drive that never even came with a V8 to start with. When my folks bought a 93 crown victoria I dove into reading up about them so I could get a heads up on the common issues that go wrong with these cars, that's when I learned the Interceptor models had a whopping 10 more horsepower than the civilian models had. Killerformula and I were talking about it on here as his father has been a police officer for many years and his words were by the time a cop car has 50,000 miles on it everything is worn out on it from the constant duty they see.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.