UGGGGGH! so tired of misinfo!! - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think a lot of how a police vehicle performs depends on how much the municipality wanted to spend on their cars. Different options are offered to them that might not be offered to the general public. The Buick I mentioned in my previous reply also had a four barrel carb on it, that was not available on the model of vehicle when the 401 was available to the public in the model. i do understand what your saying and your not wrong but maybe the Mayor wanted a new desk set more than the go faster option when it came time to spend taxpayers money.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Arrrrgeee

Sometimes it's better to listen. I was a car show last year and some moron was bragging that his SBC 350 was running a "Big Block Cam". I couldn't stop myself and asked how he got the water pump on?. You know what they say about arguing with idiots!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:41 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Ford Interceptor

The "Interceptor" name was first used by Ford in the early '60's. Even back then, there were police packages that were basically for LE only.

From FORD POLICE CARS 1932-1997 by Edward J. Sanow (MBI Publishing Co.):

Old 02-19-2012, 01:05 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studebaker
Sometimes it's better to listen. I was a car show last year and some moron was bragging that his SBC 350 was running a "Big Block Cam". I couldn't stop myself and asked how he got the water pump on?. You know what they say about arguing with idiots!
He may have been talking about using the BBC cam journal diameter in a SBC. Common race tech, makes for a stiffer cam when using mondo-pressure springs. Often used along w/larger diameter roller lifters.

Here's a Dart SHP Pro block w/BBC cam diameter:

Dart block w/standard SBC cam tunnel diameter:
Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I'm sure that quite a few pre-smog cop cars did come with hotter engines in them, it was a lot easier then to put whatever motor in whatever engine without consequences to any kind of emissions or chassis control modules. It was also in a time before the proliferation of police helicopters and the massive computer organization we see with police now. Nowadays, they get what everyone else gets like the base model Chargers and Impalas. I'm sure they've got aftermarket fluid coolers on them and probably a nice set of brake pads, but with stop sticks, pit maneuvers, spike strips, police helicopters, radio and computer organization and dash-mounted cameras all of those hot, supercar-motored Police interceptors are unneeded.

Like DV said, the Panther Platform is the biggest example of this. From the day it got the 4.6L it's always had to make due with the lowly 2V 4.6L up until it's dying day. The only exception being the Mercury Marauder, and I've never seen a cop drive one of those ever... other than TV

Here in Phoenix, the Sheriffs drive V6 Chargers, or Ford Trucks and the Cops get V8 Tahoes or V6 Impalas and said Crown Vics. We had a couple Escape Hybrids for a while there too.. real tire burners. There's a lot of odd undercover cop cars here like GTPs, Navigators and the such, but to be honest it's rare to see one of those pulling over someone committing a moving violation.

Honestly the last of the exclusive "Interceptor-motor" cop cars were the 9C1 caprices that got 350s instead of 305s or LT1s instead of L99s. Not exactly earth-shaking motors.

My buddy had a 96 Crown Vic with HPP (handling and performance package) Had a plastic hood and trunk, the "hot" 215hp 2v 4.6L from the Mustang GT, Lace aluminum wheels, dual exhaust, 145mph speedo, 3.27 rear with ABS (but no trac-lok) and air shocks in the back. Every time we'd go out in it, some Cletus would try to tell my buddy about how it's got the Lightning motor, or the Cobra motor, or a special Interceptor motor or a Jet Engine from an F14 Tomcat or whatever. It had the same gutless, anemic 4.6L 2v my 96 Mustang GT had, and was no faster.. actually a little bit slower, thanks to it's automatic tranny and large size. On top that, I've still yet to even see an HPP Crown Vic in black and white roaming Phoenix.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

no need for high hp cop cars, you can't outrun a motorola..
and cops can get your gps from your lic plate and rmv

lic plate=vin=gps feed, you get to tell them where you are running to, they just follow
Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
He may have been talking about using the BBC cam journal diameter in a SBC. Common race tech, makes for a stiffer cam when using mondo-pressure springs. Often used along w/larger diameter roller lifters.

Here's a Dart SHP Pro block w/BBC cam diameter:

Dart block w/standard SBC cam tunnel diameter:

AHHHHHH, so the guy wasn't so dumb after all! LOL

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studebaker

haha this post is funny, shows how much you don't know
Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
AHHHHHH, so the guy wasn't so dumb after all! LOL

Brian
Well, at least the possibility exists that there's some truth behind what the guy was claiming- as is often the case like you pointed out correctly (IMO) earlier.

Quote:
haha this post is funny, shows how much you don't know
BTW, this was not a dig at Studebaker. I offered the suggestion about the SBC block w/the BBC cam tunnel because it's not that widely known to guys who don't use aftermarket blocks and I can see how there'd be some confusion unless the guy explained himself.

Another option is the guy WAS full of BS, not exactly unheard of...
Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Now that does remind me of what a friend and I seen a cop car do one night. We were leaving a big city and got on the interstate heading home. Speed limit is 70 and that's what we were doing. We were about 20 miles outside of the city when out of nowhere 2 rice burners went by us like lightning, both had the fart cans screaming, they were doing everybit of 100 or better.
They got out of site a good ways when suddenly we seen lights coming across the median in a hurry, a state trooper was coming across it and he was moving pretty fast, he came back onto the pavement with tires smoking, then we heard him kick it in, about 14 seconds later he roared past us and all you could hear was the air plenum screaming, we just kept rolling on at 70 mph. Those ricer cars had about a 3 or 4 mile head start on the trooper. About 10 miles ahead we came up on rolling blue lights and seen the trooper. He had both ricer cars pulled over.
I dunno how fast those crown vics will go, but he had to have that one wound way up there to be that far behind those ricer cars and still catch up to them.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Well, at least the possibility exists that there's some truth behind what the guy was claiming- as is often the case like you pointed out correctly (IMO) earlier.

BTW, this was not a dig at Studebaker. I offered the suggestion about the SBC block w/the BBC cam tunnel because it's not that widely known to guys who don't use aftermarket blocks and I can see how there'd be some confusion unless the guy explained himself.

Another option is the guy WAS full of BS, not exactly unheard of...
But that is the thing, it's hard, if he is a friend and he says something, discuss it, let him know he may be wrong (or you may be after the discussion) but someone on the street, someone at a show telling his son what kind of car that is, there is no reason to tell him he's wrong and there is no reason to think any less of him, it really isn't that big of a deal.

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
no need for high hp cop cars, you can't outrun a motorola..
and cops can get your gps from your lic plate and rmv

lic plate=vin=gps feed, you get to tell them where you are running to, they just follow
I dont have gps anything. and if i did have something gps it wouldn't be registered with the state dmv. Mostly because when you register a car the state doesnt ask "do you have any gps related devices we could use in case the cops have to hunt you down like a rabid bear ?"

....... but im willing to bet that the CIA could track me down in 30 seconds if they had my cell phone number at their disposal ... but my cell phone isnt in my name (on a family plan w/ friends)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I'm the same way Low, No GPS, No cell phone, I'm not giving big brother any help tracking me even so I'm not doing anything Illegal.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

I just don't do anything illegal, done deal. I can use all those things, I could care less if they want to know when I go to buy my groceries or a bike ride.

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy
I dont have gps anything. and if i did have something gps it wouldn't be registered with the state dmv. Mostly because when you register a car the state doesnt ask "do you have any gps related devices we could use in case the cops have to hunt you down like a rabid bear ?"

Quote:
....... but im willing to bet that the CIA could track me down in 30 seconds if they had my cell phone number at their disposal ... but my cell phone isnt in my name (on a family plan w/ friends)
I think I heard somewhere that taking the battery out of your cell phone keeps anyone from GPS'ing you or otherwise pinging your location.

If you have an active On Star, etc., and that was known by LE, AND you had done something bad enough to warrant it , they prolly could track or locate you. But that ain't gonna happen for a speeding ticket.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.