Ugh Highperformance engine parts????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ugh Highperformance engine parts?????

hi im from vegas I paid a guy to throw a new engine in my 92 chevy while I was moving to cali, the guy stops wrking on it half way thru and the only information I get is oh its a high performance engine. I get my truck shipped out here half done only to basically tear it down again. the engine block says 5.7 on it for sure with some casting numbers of 638 n or something like that. We weren't getting any spark from the distributor so I went ahead and replaced Ignition coil, Cap and rotor, and Ignition module we gt our spark. then we thought hmm well maybe were getting the firing order wrong but the order is cast on the top of the engine so that wasn't it we realized we don't have any compression in the engine at all, then we also figured the timing chain might be off or wasn't set. Come to find out I Have a high performance timing gear drive. Now im not even sure what cam I have if it might also be high performance. On top of that im starting to question *** engine were even working on, getting any cast numbers off this thing is hard a mission in it self. HELP!!

Advertisement

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 03-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Ok, lets start with the basics:
This is a 1992 Chevrolet, but what model?
What fuel delivery system?
What transmission?

Not to be rude, but the term "high performance" really doesn't mean squat. We need to figure out exactly what you have and what your expectations are for the vehicle before you can get some help.

Head casting numbers should be underneath the valve covers, we'll need those too. If you have the casting from the block, this website should be able to tell you want it came from: Small Block Chevy Engine Block casting and code identification You don't sound too sure it's a 350 towards the end of your post.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Can you get the cast numbers off the bell housing area on the drivers side, and the stamped numbers on the block pad, in front of the passenger side head?

You sure is has a gear drive? If there's absolutely no compression, check valve adjustment as a starting point, then go to cam setup/alignment.

Edit: Looks like Valkerie types faster than I do.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
hi im from vegas I paid a guy to throw a new engine in my 92 chevy while I was moving to cali, the guy stops wrking on it half way thru and the only information I get is oh its a high performance engine. I get my truck shipped out here half done only to basically tear it down again. the engine block says 5.7 on it for sure with some casting numbers of 638 n or something like that. We weren't getting any spark from the distributor so I went ahead and replaced Ignition coil, Cap and rotor, and Ignition module we gt our spark. then we thought hmm well maybe were getting the firing order wrong but the order is cast on the top of the engine so that wasn't it we realized we don't have any compression in the engine at all, then we also figured the timing chain might be off or wasn't set. Come to find out I Have a high performance timing gear drive. Now im not even sure what cam I have if it might also be high performance. On top of that im starting to question *** engine were even working on, getting any cast numbers off this thing is hard a mission in it self. HELP!!
The engine casting number ending in 638 (complete number 14093638 was used 1987-'95, and was equipped to use the factory roller cam. More on ID'ing the engine (heads, suffix, etc.) is here

The first thing I would recommend (along w/the others here) is to readjust the valves. Here are instructions. If you STILL have no compression, let us know.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.