Hot Rod Forum banner

Ugliest color you have ever painted or seen, strangest thing you painted.

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  kenseth17 
#1 · (Edited)
never mind. Should have posted in the lounge section.

#2 ·
I don't know, this is where all the painters are. :)

I have painted my fair share of refrigerators (one being hot pink), patio chairs and the like. One of the strangest was a large box about 10x10x10 made of metal that is used in storing a crop when picked until it is taken off the field. This box was epoxy primed and painted inside and out, ceiling, floor, the works, ever square inch with an SS urethane.

But probably the goofyest thing ever was about 150 10 ft long pieces of "wire mould" for an electrical contractor for a large department store they were contracted to wire. The sick part is, I painted it a color that they could have bought from the manufacturer but the dumbys sent the wrong color! They couldn't wait to get the new one so paid me to paint it all!

I also painted about 20 free standing shelves for a gift shop at the near by mall. I learned not to deliever something like that until a least a week or so later so it would be completly flashed. :eek: About 10 ladies who worked there had to go home with nausea and head aches, oops, sorry. :drunk:

Brian

Ten minutes later: LOL, I will be adding things to this list as the day goes on! LOL, how about a vintage condom machine!! I also chrome plated a number of parts on it and hung it in my bath room. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Well I was thinking of moving it since this isn't really a technical question, but since you bit brian, I'll reply.
My last job was as an industral painter and painted some weird stuff there. One was a gigantic peice that was for electical controls in a ship. One section was only a few inches wide, by probably 5 feet long, and about 17 inches deep that had to be washed primed, epoxy primed and painted as well as the rest of the inside and outside. That was fun painting it inside expecially getting in that section. Another one was when I worked at a dealership I had to paint all the siding for a new addition they were adding. The owners son who was the service manager told me to pick a color that looked close to the rest of the siding out of the chip books and paint them. Well he also happened to be color blind, but said they didn't match because they were not the right shade of grey. The paint rep came in and custom mixed and tinted a color and I had to spray all again. :rolleyes: Painted some resteraunt equiptment pieces too that were loaded with grease to clean off. The ugliest colors I have painted was a kind of butterscotch yellow color on some big cabinet at the industrial place, signal green on my grandpas boat, and a brownish gold metallic on a 90's t-bird. Some of the pea greens on the musclecars and 80's car were pretty ugly, but never had to paint those colors. Thats funny that you mention the nausea. We use to push painted peices out on to the floor at the industrial place, and all the women on the floor complained, but it didn't bother any of us. I told the other painters to tell them women to grow some hair on there chest. lol. One time we took some leftover chicken home from the shop for lunch, and when I get back the other body guy asks, did the chicken taste funny to you? I said no why, he goes, well my girlfriend says it tasted like bondo, but I didn't notice it either, I guess that tells you bondo is an aquired taste. Bondoking, maybe I will start refering to you as twinkletoes from now on, lol.

#6 ·
My first job was at a sign shop so we painted some odd colors. I remember this big metal box for some signage we painted. It was hot pink and painted with what I think was acrylic polyurethane? Whatever it was smelled very sweet like candy.

After paint it was rolled out in the sun to bake. We noticed a while later there were all these confused bumble bees flying all around it.

I guess it was the same color of a flower, smelled like a flower, but just didn't look right to the bees.

#7 ·
that brings up a bad thing for me doing this work. Seems like bees are really attracted to freshy sanded bondo dust. I don't know if its the polyester or what, but guess what, I am allergic to bees. Got stung when I was a little kid and broke out into hives. Remember my mom rushing me to the hospital and after that having to go get allergy shots every week and carry a bee sting kit around. They tested me for what bees I was allergic to by giving me two rows of shots in each arm. Allergic to everyone tested, but most allergic to wasp and hornet, brown bee, and some other one, but all very common around here. I haven't been stung for many years now, so I don't know if I've outgrown it or not, but I always use to be the first one stung. Sitting at a football game in highschool with some freinds and bees were flying around. Of course I was the one who gets stung, and my friend says why the hell are you freeking out so much, its only a bee. I book it into the locker room looking for ice so I don't swell up like the friken stay puff marshmellow man.

#8 ·
Funny but true

When I was in my 20s,I worked at a small bodyshop. The owner was also a partner in a GO-GO bar.I also was a bouncer at that bar :D .Anyway they decided to expand and make a stage in the back room,A very small stage for partys and lap dances.When it came time for the brass pole he got cheap and got a galvanized pipe!If you felt it it was rough and left your hands gray,So I told him I would paint it.Since it was in a very dark room with black lighting I painted it black and spatter painted some neon one-shot on it and cleared it.It looked great under the black light!! When the first girl was on stage I was there :thumbup: !She grabbed the pole and started swinging around gyrating and all the things dancers do :drool: . When she finished she went to the dreesing room,Then I hear "WHAT THE F!@*!!!" she comes out looking worried and confused.The one shot hadent dried under the clear and it was all over her :pain: Even on the inside off her thighs by the goods :mwink: . I was half laghfing and half mortified.That was the strangest thing I painted

#9 ·
I am laughing so hard I choked on my coffee!

That blows my condom machine off the wall! And for mistake on uncured products effecting others you kick my butt with my old ladies and painted shelves too! LOL

That is just too funny!

Brian

#11 ·
kenseth17 said:
that brings up a bad thing for me doing this work. Seems like bees are really attracted to freshy sanded bondo dust. I don't know if its the polyester or what, but guess what, I am allergic to bees. Got stung when I was a little kid and broke out into hives. Remember my mom rushing me to the hospital and after that having to go get allergy shots every week and carry a bee sting kit around. They tested me for what bees I was allergic to by giving me two rows of shots in each arm. Allergic to everyone tested, but most allergic to wasp and hornet, brown bee, and some other one, but all very common around here. I haven't been stung for many years now, so I don't know if I've outgrown it or not, but I always use to be the first one stung. Sitting at a football game in highschool with some freinds and bees were flying around. Of course I was the one who gets stung, and my friend says why the hell are you freeking out so much, its only a bee. I book it into the locker room looking for ice so I don't swell up like the friken stay puff marshmellow man.
That is such a "stinging" article!!!!! STay out of AZ, we got em all!!!!!!!!!!!!And,,,,,,we gots lots of African Bees too!

#12 ·
Will do. I wouldn't really like scorpians running around either. But least the older cars there shouldn't be all rusted out like they are around here. African bees, eek, they would probably do me in. Getting one sting sucks enough. I guess we have it better then many areas in that sense. I was watching a show awhile back about poisonous creatures, deadly spiders, fireants, ect. We didn't really have much around here, but the fire ants have spread way north. I guess the cold winter weather that we suffer through scares deadly insects from coming around here. But we do have lots of misquitos, and I recently heard a warning to wear repellant, because they have found misquitos in the state that were carrying the west nile virus. Also heard they found something with bird flu, and mad cow disease was a concern for awhile. Also say there is global warming, I don't know, its been a pretty hot summer for us, and We seem to be getting less severe winters then 10 years ago. Maybe the world is coming to an end, or you should just lock yourself up in the house and become a vegetarian. Kind of off topic, but it seems like a strange time with so many diseases lately that can kill you, terorists, and struggling to keep gas in the car in a weak economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.