The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

you can spray rustoleum just fine. I have sprayed lots of it.... just not anywheres near the cars. I thin it with mineral spirits, but acetone works just as well. depends on the temps, which is where the runs and sags come into play.

That said, applying it to a car that you know will get real paint in the spring, is asking for trouble. Rustoleum " protective coating " is Alky'd Enamel and it will react with the urethane that you most likely have for the spring. So it all has to be removed. it's going to add cost to the bodyshop or add time for you stripping it off. That's even if the bodyshop will still accept the job

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 11:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
You can go right over the top on the paint you have on your car now if it's not too bad. That won't be happening once that Rustoleum is on the whole car. You can find AE or Urethane all day long for less than $100 if you want cheap paint. You can rent a paint booth. The difference is you are only spraying it on one time, not applying it over and over again.
If I were you I would step off your high horse and stop being so offended by his paint job. It's not what I would have done but it's his damn car and he can do whatever he wants. It sounds like his main motive here was to not save money rather than to just get something on the car--period--using the resources available to him.

As for labor, I just don't get it when people get bent out of shape at the amount of labor someone else puts into their respective project. When I'm working on my hobbies, my time is worth no money if I'm doing what I love to do. God forbid doesn't mind putting in hours on something deemed enjoyable.

As far as I'm concerned this dude can do whatever he wants because at least he knows he's applying a subpar paint job and will get it fixed soon.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
If I were you I would step off your high horse and stop being so offended by his paint job. It's not what I would have done but it's his damn car and he can do whatever he wants. It sounds like his main motive here was to not save money rather than to just get something on the car--period--using the resources available to him.

As for labor, I just don't get it when people get bent out of shape at the amount of labor someone else puts into their respective project. When I'm working on my hobbies, my time is worth no money if I'm doing what I love to do. God forbid doesn't mind putting in hours on something deemed enjoyable.

As far as I'm concerned this dude can do whatever he wants because at least he knows he's applying a subpar paint job and will get it fixed soon.
You are right he can do what he wants with his car. I am just trying to save him agravation that is sure to come. How do I know? Because I have used it on a trailer. I have also used the other paints mentioned. It's not my first rodeo.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer

thats pretty much right on i dont mind putting time in on my car for whatever i just enjoy doing it, the way i look at it stripping this off will be better then repairing rusted panels after i have to drive the car all winter on salt covered roads without paint on the car.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Can you post some pictures of the rest of the Camaro before you start painting it?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
thats pretty much right on i dont mind putting time in on my car for whatever i just enjoy doing it, the way i look at it stripping this off will be better then repairing rusted panels after i have to drive the car all winter on salt covered roads without paint on the car.

People are only trying to tell you,, You would be so far ahead of the game if you would have just sprayed it with Epoxy primer.. That's all..
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

sure when i get home from work i will post up some pictures.
witht he hood fully dried it came out pretty nice, after 2 coats theres a few spots that are a lil light were u can see just a tiny bit of primer under the blue.

the car is down to bare metal in spots, the prevoius owner had used spray paint in various spots on the body to cover were the paint was worn down or starting to get body rust.

anyways when i get home from work ill post more pics and pics of the car
Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

we need more cheapwer ways to paint a car

This is great we have experimental painting going on it can only lead to a more reasonable way to get your car painted. I spent 900 dollars for stupid paint on my last hot rod. I will never do that again. I could have bought coil overs all around for another Hot rod. Keep up the R&D with the Rusto- we need more input...go go go
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

i just got home and started to wetsand the first 2 coats of paint. im using 1000, and 1500 grit, but that wasnt enough, when i first mixed the paint i did 50/50 mix and its still a lil to thick so i got some orange peel, not real bad but im a lil impatient so i got some 600 grit to knock it flat faster.

though the 1000 was taking it down it just took a while

my next question is should after i hit it with the 600 should i hit it again with the 1000 before the next coat or is the 600 good enough
Old 11-22-2011, 04:13 PM
CQNRQY

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Project89]i just got home and started to wetsand the first 2 coats of paint. im using 1000, and 1500 grit, but that wasnt enough, when i first mixed the paint i did 50/50 mix and its still a lil to thick so i got some orange peel, not real bad but im a lil impatient so i got some 600 grit to knock it flat faster.

though the 1000 was taking it down it just took a while

my next question is should after i hit it with the 600 should i hit it again with the 1000 before the next coat or is the 600 good enough[/QUOTE
Well
It always bothered me when people assume something just because of associaton . Here it hit me because the product "rustoleum" was being accused of being "No Good"
So I replied/responded to this thread in defence of the product name...
Enamel rustoleum has its place ...But not on a car thats going to have a "real paint job" in the near future. Rustothane made by rustoleum would work for you and would not require stripping if you repaint in the spring.
Other good/great sugestions have been given to you...such as apoxy coating it and at the same time getting one step closer to your final goal.
As far as your next step goes
Go back and Reread some of the advise to pros have for you
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

for the last time i cannot spray anything i do not have the tools to do that.
and i dont care about having to strip the paint off in the spring time.
this is what i have and what i can do for now so thats what im doing

while i do apreciate all the suggestions of the alternatives i just dont have the means to apply the alternatives otherwise i would be doing one of those instead.

but by all means dont stop posting up alternatives or suggestions somone else reading this thread may have the tools/means to apply something different so they can use the info posted

sanded the first 2 coats just now, and found out a few things
#1 i didnt have the paint thin enough so it didnt self level all that good had a bunch of orange peel,

so i hit it with some 600 grit wet paper then hit it with 1000 grit wet paper before i started the next coat

this last coat i just put on i mixed so it was like water ( mixed about 60% mineral spirits to 40% paint instead of 50/50), went on alot nicer though alot thiner, but the paint is leveling out nicely, and is almost as flat as a piece of glass im sure it will flatten out more as it dries i just put it on in the last few mins.
soon as it tacks up a bit ill take some pics.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
......my next question is should after i hit it with the 600 should i hit it again with the 1000 before the next coat or is the 600 good enough
The 600 grit is fine; no need to sand with 1000 before recoating.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
but by all means dont stop posting up alternatives or suggestions somone else reading this thread may have the tools/means to apply something different so they can use the info posted
89, I understand what you're doing. Sometimes you have to undertake
a project according to what your budget, tools, and needs allow.
That's what hotrodding is all about.

As an alternative, you can apply epoxy primer using the 'roll and tip'
method, using a roller and brush. Then block sand the primer to get
a smooth surface. You can even tint the primer the color you plan
to paint the car. That would give you a coating that'll protect the
car until you're ready to paint, and not have to strip off...
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'OnEmpty
89, I understand what you're doing. Sometimes you have to undertake
a project according to what your budget, tools, and needs allow.
That's what hotrodding is all about.

As an alternative, you can apply epoxy primer using the 'roll and tip'
method, using a roller and brush. Then block sand the primer to get
a smooth surface. You can even tint the primer the color you plan
to paint the car. That would give you a coating that'll protect the
car until you're ready to paint, and not have to strip off...

see now no one mentioned i could roll on the epoxy primer, had i known that i prolly would have gone that route.

but ive decided to try out a 2 tone paint job on the car im going to do the blue uptop and the black on the bottom just to see what it looks like.

this way i can decide on a blue/silver 2 tone or my original paint plans with the blue and silver.

so besides being cheap this rustoleum is giving me an opertunity to see what a 2 tone paint job would look like on my car before i go get the actual paint job done
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Ok guys, I believe he understands the pitfalls of Rustoleum. I too am interested in how this turns out, let's start listening a bit more, watching and learning what may or may not happen. There is always room to learn something from this, some cars, for instance, may need an inexpensive paint job to move them along down the road> I wouldn't hesitate to paint an old Honda with cheap paint, I certainly wouldn't spend a grand on paint for a $1200 car. Cars, like homes, can have an entry level for the guy with just a few bucks and wanting something that looks decent in the driveway. The days of $20 a gallon Dulux are gone.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.