The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint) - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This IS Hotrodders.com isn't it, not autobody101com.
I read many posts here where a lot of the members like the rat rod thing.
In my opinion rustoleum paint jobs fit the rat rod era perfect.. no wrong way to do a rat rod, its always going to be a junker.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

this is after the first wetsand and recoat,no wetsanding or polishing on the recoat in the pics yet

going to apply another light coat tongiht and then wetsand it after work tommorow
Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Those flat, horizontal surfaces look pretty good! Now on to the curves and vertical and past-vertical surfaces.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Those flat, horizontal surfaces look pretty good! Now on to the curves and vertical and past-vertical surfaces.
i had the hood proped up on a 45* angle while applying the paint to make it easier to see since i only have a single light bulb on my porch.

i did find out it does like to try to run a lil bit but that was my fault for putting it on to thick so im slightly adjusting my method of application and getting better and better results everytime.

i just applied the second recoat after the wetsand soon as it flashes over ill snap some more pics

now if i can get rid of the few sanding scratches thats in the hood i dont think it will look bad at all once its buffed out. hell it looks good the way it is, but im going to treat this like its the paint that staying on the car, full wetsanding and buffing when done, and wetsand/blocking inbetween coats
Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

this is what the hood looked like before i started

as u can see i didnt just paint over what was there

and these are the 2 colors the car will be painted with come spring time

either 2 tone
or blue with silver stripes
or blue with silver flames with some airbrush work
Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

That Rustoleum is gonna fail...in a couple years. Sorry, I couldn't resist. you've got more gumption and chicharones than I. To be willing to go to the effort of painting, sanding and polishing only to remove it next spring with more elbow grease just shows you're more determined to have a cool ride than most of us are. Do you have some posts elsewhere on here of the twin hairdryers? I really like that body style F-body and am anxious to see some progress pics. As that Rustoleum dries(days in the 90's) it'll get harder and polish a bit better. I've used it on one paint job and I made it look terrible, you're already light years ahead of my one Rustoleum paint job.
Kudos to you,
Chip.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
That Rustoleum is gonna fail...in a couple years. Sorry, I couldn't resist. you've got more gumption and chicharones than I. To be willing to go to the effort of painting, sanding and polishing only to remove it next spring with more elbow grease just shows you're more determined to have a cool ride than most of us are. Do you have some posts elsewhere on here of the twin hairdryers? I really like that body style F-body and am anxious to see some progress pics. As that Rustoleum dries(days in the 90's) it'll get harder and polish a bit better. I've used it on one paint job and I made it look terrible, you're already light years ahead of my one Rustoleum paint job.
Kudos to you,
Chip.
i have a thread in the engine section, i still have some wiring to do on the car though, if u cant find it when i get home from work ill post up the link.
or if im allowed to post a link to another site i have a complete build thread on thirdgen.org i can post as well
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
or if im allowed to post a link to another site i have a complete build thread on thirdgen.org i can post as well
No problem, post the link. Dan
Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I was just lost in your engine thread...way cool. Nice fab work.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I have to give you a Big for not giving up... That right there tell's me a lot about you... It's coming a long and your not giving up no matter what... The Motor is really looking like it will give you a good ride for sure.. I used this once on a frame and added a wet look hardener and it came out super nice and lasted a very long time... I just can't remember what kind of hardener it was... But It did work.....
I sent you a PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I have to give you a Big for not giving up... That right there tell's me a lot about you... It's coming a long and your not giving up no matter what... The Motor is really looking like it will give you a good ride for sure.. I used this once on a frame and added a wet look hardener and it came out super nice and lasted a very long time... I just can't remember what kind of hardener it was... But It did work.....
I sent you a PM..
I've heard people use enamel hardener in it(hardener for Centari in Dupont speak).
Old 11-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I will find out what it was ,,, Speedy my friend use to sell it.... Me and him did it on a frame to see how it would work out... And it did work well... I will post as soon as I talk to him..
Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

thanks guys, the motor should make more power then i can used when its set on kill, my buddies combo in a transam is almost identical to mine, i have +5 ci larger turbos and better cyl heads put down over 900rwhp @ 23 pounds of boost, in addition to that i have a 2 stage nitrous kit to be installed still 25shot first stage with an additional 75 shot second stage. so im looking to put down 4digit rear wheel numbers when set on kill and for the street ill keep boost around 12-15 pounds

ill run the car a few times a year at las vegas speedway,rmr up in salt lake city, and once or twice a year on the boneville salt flats.

i messed up my final coat of paint last night as it went on extra thin in a few spots and u can see it now that it dried, so im debating on wetsanding it later today and doing one final recoat, r leave it as is for a few days to fully harden then wetsand and buff the crap out of it and see if it knocks down nice and flat.

im thinking if i let it harden and then do it it will knock flat in the 2-3 spots were it went on a lil thin, if not i can always go back later and put another coat on

my other concern is the temps outside are ranging between 50-60* and at night were hitting low 30*'s so im hoping its not to cold to apply the paint on the rest of the body, though i have thought about going down to the hardware store getting some pvc tubing and tees and a large tarp and building a makeshift tent around the car so i can put a bullet heater or something in there to warm up the car body.
it should be high 50's/60* today so i think im going to try to get the roof done today

im already out of work for the day so once i can get a friend over im going to put the hood back on the car and get some pics of it in the sunlight
Old 11-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
This is great we have experimental painting going on it can only lead to a more reasonable way to get your car painted. I spent 900 dollars for stupid paint on my last hot rod. I will never do that again. I could have bought coil overs all around for another Hot rod. Keep up the R&D with the Rusto- we need more input...go go go

This is why I lurk on this site but go somewhere else with a question
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
This is great we have experimental painting going on it can only lead to a more reasonable way to get your car painted. I spent 900 dollars for stupid paint on my last hot rod. I will never do that again. I could have bought coil overs all around for another Hot rod. Keep up the R&D with the Rusto- we need more input...go go go
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialman67
This is why I lurk on this site but go somewhere else with a question
That really doesn't make sense- at least to me- when referencing the post you quoted. Are you saying you're afraid someone might disagree w/you, or you don't think you'd get a qualified answer, or ? I mean, it's not like you haven't asked questions here already...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.