The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint) - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
That really doesn't make sense- at least to me- when referencing the post you quoted. Are you saying you're afraid someone might disagree w/you, or you don't think you'd get a qualified answer, or ? I mean, it's not like you haven't asked questions here already...
i bel;ive he was refering to the naysaying and or critisim that one may get for posting a thread liek this one

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 06:17 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

ultimat cheep paint jobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
i bel;ive he was refering to the naysaying and or critisim that one may get for posting a thread liek this one

This is interesting , every one on here has gotten criticism at one point or another (from their grammar to their knowledge) we dont know who the people are or their backgrounds!!( could be a monkey with a banana up his *****)!!!!! But there are many people on here very knowledgeable!!! The longer you stay on the more you find out who knows what their talking about and whos blowing smoke !!! When your getting the same answer from a group of people its usually right

Ive been painting for many years , and if a car comes into my shop and I find out it had any Rustolium on it I won't touch it! I make that statement from experience!!! nuff said

I saw your pictures your really doing a good job and Im interested in seeing it finished! When I was in the service we painted equipment with rollers, brushes & auto enamels sanded and hand rubbed ,so I know the work your putting into this!!!

Next time you or anyone else is looking for cheaper paint but good quality call suppliers (paint and all materials have a shelf life) good suppliers will wholesale it before this shelf life ends! Your friendly bump shop may have extra paint enough to two tone a small car like yours in colors your looking for especially if its just to get through the winter!!!

I have some advice to any begin er: when you buy your material call a tech line (on your tech sheet ) and find out the expiration date on your materials, it could have sat on a shelf for years or been in a storage room!!!even longer Parts stores and hardware's are notorious for this, I was in a pinch not too long ago and went to a small auto parts store to get some PPG epoxy sealer when I called to get the expiration date off the code he told me it expired 4 years ago!! Colors are usually mixed on order (but if its picked off a shelf be careful ) Your paint job can be ruined and youll never know why.

Please Don"t get upset because I said BUMP SHOP (I started a war on here once ) so I'm sorry to you people who work in collision shops!! LOL
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

well i got the hood back on the car and im unsure if i liek the color, im going to wait 2 days for the paint to cure more and then wetsand an buff the hood. from there i will decede if im going to continue this paint job except i will get super gloss black paint, or i will get epoxy primer and roll that on the car instead
Old 11-23-2011, 06:44 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
, or i will get epoxy primer and roll that on the car instead

The wisest words in this whole thread.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Body shops will rent you the paint booth to use. Call or ask around. They rent them for $50.00 here. Buy a cheap HF gravity feed gun and bring it to the paint booth and a few hours later you will have epoxy primer on it.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Quote:
well i got the hood back on the car and im unsure if i liek the color, im going to wait 2 days for the paint to cure more and then wetsand an buff the hood. from there i will decede if im going to continue this paint job except i will get super gloss black paint, or i will get epoxy primer and roll that on the car instead

Good decision there are roll on primer sealer surface'rs on the market and so are the rollers!!!! I just posted another its back on #47 It took over an hr. to type it!!!!lol

Last edited by painted jester; 11-23-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
Body shops will rent you the paint booth to use. Call or ask around. They rent them for $50.00 here. Buy a cheap HF gravity feed gun and bring it to the paint booth and a few hours later you will have epoxy primer on it.
i have one body shop in town ill have to call them and ask.depending on the final outcome of the hood is the factor in deciding if i will continue with the rustoleum or not.

i will say this for a cheap car that needs paint i would deff not hesitate to do this, im impressed with the way its looking so far
Old 11-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

You mentioned black paint. The body has to be real strait with black because everything will show up. Any kind of body work you miss will only be magnified when paint goes on. It's possible to use the epoxy primer as sealer and then paint the car at the same time. White paint hides the most mistakes. They sell the paint in different tiers. Some colors are cheaper than others. Black and white is usaly the cheapest. Reds cost the most.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
You mentioned black paint. The body has to be real strait with black because everything will show up. Any kind of body work you miss will only be magnified when paint goes on. It's possible to use the epoxy primer as sealer and then paint the car at the same time. White paint hides the most mistakes. They sell the paint in different tiers. Some colors are cheaper than others. Black and white is usaly the cheapest. Reds cost the most.
if i continue witht he rustoleum in black it will be just for that reason(make it nice and easy to spot any flaws in my body work before i get the good stuff on the car)

anyways i may as well post this here too, since i didnt do anything with the hood today other then mount it back on the car i took the time to finish up my electrical wiring and took a small vid of the car running. the sound aint the greatest cause it was taken with my cell phone but its not real bad either

been having troubl tunning my acceleration enrichments but im getting it closer now and it dosent stumble to bad unless i open the throttle to fast

http://www.streetfire.net/video/blah3_2339950.htm
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

I know you are determined but if you plan on using good paint on the car down the road stay away from the rustoleum. You are not saving that much money with it. You could spend $75.00 for cheap urathane with the hardner. If that gets messed up it's easy to sand off you can also color sand and polish it. They also sell epoxy primer in black, it will get chalky if you leave it on the car for a long time. If you sprayed it on now you just have to scuff it up in the spring to top coat it with paint.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

anyone got a link to one of these cheap epoxy primers i can roll on?

also say i just bought a HF hvlp gun what is the minimal sized air compressor i would need to be able to spray
Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

This place can hook you up with cheap paint supplies. You are not paying for top quality but it's decent for a do it yourself job. http://www.smartshoppersinc.com

Last edited by V8&4spd; 11-23-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:34 AM

Last photo:

Before I got my first HVLP gun I painted a lot of cars using nothing more than a 3 horse compressor with a 30 gal tank. I now have a 5 horse compressor with a 60 gal tank but the main reason for the larger compressor was to run other air tools and not for painting. With a small compressor you may have to stop for a minute to let the compressor catch up but it's not that big of deal.
Get the biggest compressor you can afford but if all you can afford is a 2 horse with a 30 gal tank it will be enough to spray primer and run basic air tools.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39Hemi
Before I got my first HVLP gun I painted a lot of cars using nothing more than a 3 horse compressor with a 30 gal tank. I now have a 5 horse compressor with a 60 gal tank but the main reason for the larger compressor was to run other air tools and not for painting. With a small compressor you may have to stop for a minute to let the compressor catch up but it's not that big of deal.
Get the biggest compressor you can afford but if all you can afford is a 2 horse with a 30 gal tank it will be enough to spray primer and run basic air tools.
i dfont have room for anything big since i live in an apt i was wondering if say one of the 10/13 gallon lil compressors would be enough
Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

run a good drier at the end of a long hose. it depends on the pump size, but a 10-13 gallon compressor should keep up to a regular gravity feed gun. They don't take much more than 5-6 CFM, and most units that size can keep up at 50 PSI, which is pushing it, but it will lay paint down ok

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.