The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint) - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thanks i figured if it wouldnt work ok i could take some old 5 gallon propane tanks and actually plumb them into the 10/13 gallon compressor for more capacity

i checked the hood today and the paint is a lil soft still if i press really hard with my fingernail i can leave a slight impression in the paint,so im going to wait a few more days before the final wetsand and buff on the hood

i ende dup picking a cheap polisher at walmart for 19bucks hopefully that will be enough for the final buff and polish

once i get that hood fully done ill be diciding wether or not im going to continue with the rustoleum or not my friend has a portable media blaster i can use to strip the car come spring time so if i do continue that will save me alot of work

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

did the fingernail test again today and the i can barley leave a fingernial impression in the paint. so sometime tommorow i will wetsand and do the final buff and polish on the hood and post results.

these results will determine if i do the entire car or not
Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

fellow board member on tgo just did this for a 24 hours of lemons race no wetsanding or anything and i like it so i think ima switch from the blue to the black, if his can look that good without wetsanding or polishing mine should look just fine for a temporary paint job
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
[img] 24 hours of lemons race

that race looks like a ton of fun!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
that race looks like a ton of fun!
it does look like a ton of fun thats for sure.

i havent goten to do the final wetsand and buff/polish on the hood yet, between work,moving,and being sick i just havent had the time, and the weather for the next few days looks like it wont go over 41*. i really need a garage to work in lol
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

yanked th4e hood back off the car now with a somewhat glossy paint on the car i can se ejust how bad my hood is in terms of low and high spots. its so bad im actually going to get a new fiberglass hood. the fiberglass hood was going to be bought down the road anyways, just need to figure out if i need a 4 or 6 inch outlaw hood to clear the upcomming heads/intake combo

anyways im in the middle of wetsanding it, the paint knocks down flat and smooth as glass easily, though im having a hard time bringing the shine back.
the buffer i biught at walmart isnt the greatest either it spinds really slow and has like no power to it.

ill throw up some pictures when i get a lil more done
Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

If you think the high and low spots on it are bad the fiberglass hood isn't going to be any better...in fact it might be worse. Fiberglass hoods require quite a bit of work.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
If you think the high and low spots on it are bad the fiberglass hood isn't going to be any better...in fact it might be worse. Fiberglass hoods require quite a bit of work.
oh i know my friends ss hood took many many hours of work to get it flat and stright. my next engine combo is going to require a cowl hood anyways so i may as well just get it now

anyways i got the paint flat and started to get the shine back, the orbital buffer i got just isnt upto the job, i got better results by hand.

i had a friend helping me and he sanded threw the paint on me so im just going to ruff up the blue a lil and do the black and add some wetlook harder to it to see what that comes out like for now

ill snap some pi cs of the area i have finished though so u guys can see how it came out
Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

i didnt take pics of th eblue was to in a rush to get the black on the hood

the black is 10000x times better this is after one coat

i dont know why but the black is going on so much nicer then the blue and it has a much deeper shine,not to mention no orange peel anywere on the hood
Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

well i just home for lunch and took a look at the hood.
the black is so much nicer, and i dont understand why.
for one its layed down flat as a piece of glass, i thinned it the same as i did the blue and im using the same brand roller that i used with the blue, but there is zero orange peel or roller marks

the only downside is i did a crappy job when i sanded the blue so theres alot of sanding scratches in the black, hopefully as i wetsand each coat and apply more they will come out
Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Lacquer thinner

Sorry, I'm a late comer to this thread but, you ROLLED that on??? Dude, you are onto something! And as for the critics who complain that it will be soft and impossible to sand off later, don't worry; don't even use sandpaper. Lacquer thinner will take it off effortlessly.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:49 AM

Last photo:

foam roller and a lil foam brush is all im using. i have a spare rear bumper cover that i also painted ill have to get pics of that.

i set it on jackstands and scuffed it a lil bit and put one coat on it, no runs or anything on the vertical surfaces and it came out just like the hood.
i will say getting all the lil creases and inset sections were a pita though if i had goten a lil wider foam brush it prolly wouldnt have been that bad
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclepieco
Sorry, I'm a late comer to this thread but, you ROLLED that on??? Dude, you are onto something! And as for the critics who complain that it will be soft and impossible to sand off later, don't worry; don't even use sandpaper. Lacquer thinner will take it off effortlessly.

You raise a good point.

2K automotive primers and paints can also be rolled on but won't need to come off later.

The biggest argument for using this junk is that spray equipment is not available. Get a roller and half decent material and go to it.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
You raise a good point.

2K automotive primers and paints can also be rolled on but won't need to come off later.

The biggest argument for using this junk is that spray equipment is not available. Get a roller and half decent material and go to it.
u know i was starting to wonder if u couldnt do this with a regular automotive single stage paint.

when one of these9paints is thinned just how thins is the paint, is it like water,or is it a bit thicker ?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Of coarse its thicker than water, but it will still roll on.
If you're trying to get thru winter, roll on a coat of epoxy primer and you'll be ready in the spring to shoot paint without the hassle of stripping the whole car.

Why not try rolling some color as well?
If it won't lay down smooth enough to sand out, you could spray it on later.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.