The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint) - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Remarks

With some of the remarks I would think this Rusto- would be great for rat rods

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
With some of the remarks I would think this Rusto- would be great for rat rods
It's probably not that much different than what was used on Model Ts 100 years ago.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
sorry i havent updated in a few days but im a lil pissed at myself and the car.
i spent 15 hours preping and painting the spare rear bumper cover i had and went to install it on the car, just to find out its the wrong bumper cover.

it was for an 82-84 without ground effects,im mad at myself for not catching it and just generally pissed off at the car right now so its been sitting, havent done a thing except remove the side mouldings off the doors and fenders.

but ill get back to it this weekend prolly

the hood has been snowed on iced up washed off etc and it still looks good
HAHAHA ,ILMAO, I thought I was the only one that ever did that....I'm sorry ,but thats the dam funniest thing I've read all week....
Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
HAHAHA ,ILMAO, I thought I was the only one that ever did that....I'm sorry ,but thats the dam funniest thing I've read all week....
lol everyone gets pissed at there cars now and then.i still havent touched the car,picked up a second side job doing some paint and remodel work at a local hotel to pay for this years xmas gifts,been busy as hell

on a good note though the second job let me get my gf her new ruger lc9 handgun + im paying for her cwp and extra hangun training classes, and for me i got an ar15 and a ar10 for myself,chanses are ill be playing with the new toys for a while before i get back to working on the car lmao
Old 12-19-2011, 05:18 AM

I love my Ruger its unbelieveably accurate ,After shooting a few holes in the target,I stick the empty shells in the holes of the target then shoot the shells out (its more fun then just shooting at a target) Anyways let me know if you need to know how to fix holes in your car next...Glad to see you take gun safty seriously....I hope Santa brings you a compressor and a PAINT gun because you may just be a natural born painter to get halfway good results doing things that way.I cant wait to see what you can do with the proper tools and materials...
Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I love my Ruger its unbelieveably accurate ,After shooting a few holes in the target,I stick the empty shells in the holes of the target then shoot the shells out (its more fun then just shooting at a target) Anyways let me know if you need to know how to fix holes in your car next...Glad to see you take gun safty seriously....I hope Santa brings you a compressor and a PAINT gun because you may just be a natural born painter to get halfway good results doing things that way.I cant wait to see what you can do with the proper tools and materials...

i love my s&w 4566 this is at 25 yards

not good enough to shoot empty shells out of the target just yet but im getting there.my first round is always low though working on getting that corrected.
dont mind the .22 holes in the target those were from my gf

i wish i could spray the car myself but living in an apt thats really not an option
Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 AM

I use a 22 ruger you might like hers better after a while...If you look close you'll see a second ,smaller target in the upper left hand corner of my avitar...
Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I use a 22 ruger you might like hers better after a while...If you look close you'll see a second ,smaller target in the upper left hand corner of my avitar...
i do like her lc9 so easy to conceal vs my full size .45 not to mention how much lighter it is, i already told her i may have to borrow her handgun to carry for a few days to see how much i really like it to see if im going to buy one for myself though if i did buy a new carry gun it would prolly be a ruger sr9c or sr40c. the lc9 is just a tad to small to be very comfortable in my hands but its still fits my hands well enough

i got pics of my bumper cover i need to repair but i cant find the stupid cable for my camera so i can post them. i have a big hole that somone cut out for a lil hitch on the back of the car.. what do u guys use on plastic bumper covers bondo or fiberglass to repair holes
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

I sqirted my last project with approx. 55% John Deere Blitz Black 35% medium reducer and 10% extra solids activator. I used a cheap touch up gun and did it in my garage. All in all I think it turned out pretty good for a DIY job but I did spend ALOT of time highbuilding and sanding. I covered all my tools and stuff with plastic and rolled out some paper to cover the floor before I started. I painted the box and fenders then painted the cab seperately. Can`t get too much cheaper of a paint job unless you use a roller and some tremclad.[IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0965.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	60997  
Old 12-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthjim
I sqirted my last project with approx. 55% John Deere Blitz Black 35% medium reducer and 10% extra solids activator. I used a cheap touch up gun and did it in my garage. All in all I think it turned out pretty good for a DIY job but I did spend ALOT of time highbuilding and sanding. I covered all my tools and stuff with plastic and rolled out some paper to cover the floor before I started. I painted the box and fenders then painted the cab seperately. Can`t get too much cheaper of a paint job unless you use a roller and some tremclad.[IMG]
Jim, that looks real slick. I have a truck, I was thinking of doing the same thing, it is a 56 Fargo Shortbox, was going to take Tremclad, semi-gloss back, mixed with medium speed enamel reducer, and a generic acrylic enamel hardener. I have used this very mix many times on other things, but the Blitz Black, may have the sheen I am looking for....Truck looks good, mine has red rims too....
Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: 2.75 in..3.50 posi out
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Up north,
That looks great! That's the sheen I want for my panel....good job
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

how well do u think i could spray this stuff with an airless paint sprayer, buddy has an old one that hes going to be getting rid of.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Rusto would probably like the airless but use a small tip and move fast as those things lay down a lot of paint in a hurry..

Sam
Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM
CQNRQY

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
how well do u think i could spray this stuff with an airless paint sprayer, buddy has an old one that hes going to be getting rid of.
With some practise and a very fine tip, its amazing what you can do with an airless. Id prime something or do a large piece of equipment but Im not sure Id do the finish coat of my hot rod and Ive spayed gallons of paint that way.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

it has a 1.3mm tip in it now, ill have to go to the hardware store and see if i can get anything smaller. if i do use it should i continue to thin with minieral spirits or would acetone be better?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.