The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint) - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well im getting back started on this, got the old bumper cover inside and took ppics of the damage on it.

basicaly the white paint on it is chipping off in places down to the yellow plastic. i am afraid to completly strip the paint off using a sander as i think it will scratch and gouge the platic bumper cover.

so i have been slowly picking the paint off were its been shipping off with an exacto knife.i figure if i can get all the chipping and loose paint off i can fill in the areas with some bondo to make the surface nice and even again without having to remove all the old paint that is still good.

does this sound liek a good way to repair this bumper cover???

ill post pics up of it in a few mins

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

i got a lil motivated tonight so i started on the rear bumper

lil bit of bondo work with a light coat of primer just to see were i need to get still and to se eif it looks pretty flat

still alot left to do on it but hopefully i can get it done tonight, and compared to the before pictures it already looks 100x better
Old 01-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Last edited by baddbob; 01-20-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I cant believe this thread lives.. reading it and watching this on the largest hot rodding forum on the internet makes me want to

Roll on rusto paint and rattle can primer, chipping off paint with a razor blade, adding bodyfiller to a raw bumper cover..

To whom ever is making this thread.. You are wasting your money and learning nothing in the proper way to do this work.. Not to mention if you plan on doing it right, every single bit of this has to come off.. ALL OF IT
Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It does teach us something.............what not to do

Budget RVs
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoKing
I cant believe this thread lives.. reading it and watching this on the largest hot rodding forum on the internet makes me want to

Roll on rusto paint and rattle can primer, chipping off paint with a razor blade, adding bodyfiller to a raw bumper cover..

To whom ever is making this thread.. You are wasting your money and learning nothing in the proper way to do this work.. Not to mention if you plan on doing it right, every single bit of this has to come off.. ALL OF IT
actua;;y it dont matter to me i said hell with it once it came to the rear bumper since i just ordered a new fiberglass rear bumper cover, so ill be using this one to see were i have to drill my holes and how to atach it to the new chromoly bumper that will be underneath.
so eventually this bumper cover will be getting thrown away.

i also took my money for the paint job and invested it in a 4l80 w transbrake and a dana 60 rear rear for the car so the car will stay witht he rusto for about a year before i have to strip it off and have it repainted. and id rather have nice looking cheap black paint for that year then the faded peeling white paint thats on the car now
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

a fellow board member on tgo did his the same way and the results are amazing
i cant wait till i get back to work on mine and get it done

Old 02-03-2012, 09:14 PM

hey forget what anybody says the (TA) is beautiful and im glad you posted pics because that looks good im useing the same kind of paint and im hopeing that mines look that good it looks like a new car if you can (pm) me and give me a few pointers on what you did to get that type of finish it will be well appreciated
Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke
hey forget what anybody says the (TA) is beautiful and im glad you posted pics because that looks good im useing the same kind of paint and im hopeing that mines look that good it looks like a new car if you can (pm) me and give me a few pointers on what you did to get that type of finish it will be well appreciated
If you've ever scraped rustoleum roll on with a key or even a hard scratch with a fingernail, it's not the most durable.

I was planning to paint a steel house door with it (gray primed door from Lowes, intended to be painted). I put a dot of the stuff on the door waited a day and it scratched off easily. I decided to leave the door alone after seeing that.

But in the pictures the car looks better than it did. I'm sure you're happy to have it done and obviously real automotive paint would have cost 4-10 times as much in materials cost. So you're good there!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

STOP USING RUSTOLEUM, IT WON'T LAST A YEAR!!!

Okay there's a lot of myths about Rustoleum and a lot of people talk about things they don't understand.
I've used Rustoleum and I am sort of a professional.
In less than a year you will see imperfections on the paint and you'll see more and more, after a while they will be noticeable and it'll look really bad. Plus people say that you can paint right over this stuff but you can't because the base coat will react and make little holes.

If you want to paint your car use single stage automotive paint, you could probably paint 2 cars for 100 dollars of the cheap stuff.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

#1 why was this moved out of the body section?
#2 i dont care if it takes me 3 weeks to restrip the car for my blue and silver paint job down the road, a year of decent looking black paint vs primer spots/bondo spots and fadded paint is well worth it to me, besdies when the car is doing 180+mph across the salt flats or 135+ down the 1/4 mile noone will be close enough to see its rusto paint.
#3 + i took the money i had for the car to be sprayed withthe blue and silver summit paint+ the airbrush job and spent it on a 4l80 with transbrake and dana 60 rear for the car , and some various saftey equipment i need to pass tech at the racetrack which wa smor eimportant then spending the money on a GOOD paint job with GOOD paint

im well aware of what will happen with the rustoleum but what i need it for its just fine, im one of those ppl that will wash the car every week and wax it once a month so im not really worried about it fadding it will be cared for until i stripp it off in about a year to have real autop paint applied
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
#1 why was this moved out of the body section?
#2 i dont care if it takes me 3 weeks to restrip the car for my blue and silver paint job down the road, a year of decent looking black paint vs primer spots/bondo spots and fadded paint is well worth it to me, besdies when the car is doing 180+mph across the salt flats or 135+ down the 1/4 mile noone will be close enough to see its rusto paint.
#3 + i took the money i had for the car to be sprayed withthe blue and silver summit paint+ the airbrush job and spent it on a 4l80 with transbrake and dana 60 rear for the car , and some various saftey equipment i need to pass tech at the racetrack which wa smor eimportant then spending the money on a GOOD paint job with GOOD paint

im well aware of what will happen with the rustoleum but what i need it for its just fine, im one of those ppl that will wash the car every week and wax it once a month so im not really worried about it fadding it will be cared for until i stripp it off in about a year to have real autop paint applied
Well you might not have to get it stripped, I think if you spray a sealer over it you should be alright. I would try priming a bit of it and if it looked good in a week I would proceed to prime the entire thing, but that may not be needed if you seal it.

I don't mean to discredit your accomplishment because what you did was hard and the skills that you learned can save you a lot of money in the future when you get a real paint job.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg
Well you might not have to get it stripped, I think if you spray a sealer over it you should be alright. I would try priming a bit of it and if it looked good in a week I would proceed to prime the entire thing, but that may not be needed if you seal it.

I don't mean to discredit your accomplishment because what you did was hard and the skills that you learned can save you a lot of money in the future when you get a real paint job.

even if i could get away with going over the rustpo i would still strip it, my paint job is not going to be cheap my basic quote from the body shop for the paint work only was 3,500+, so im not going to chance it getting screwed up by leaving the rusto on the car.

that and im more then likley going to also get fiberglass doors, hatch piece and front fenders, so i wont actually have to much rusto left to strip off.
and the new hood and rear bumper cover i ordered come with a black gel coat on them so im hopping it matches the rusto black so i dont have to put any rusto on them,
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
even if i could get away with going over the rustpo i would still strip it, my paint job is not going to be cheap my basic quote from the body shop for the paint work only was 3,500+, so im not going to chance it getting screwed up by leaving the rusto on the car.

that and im more then likley going to also get fiberglass doors, hatch piece and front fenders, so i wont actually have to much rusto left to strip off.
and the new hood and rear bumper cover i ordered come with a black gel coat on them so im hopping it matches the rusto black so i dont have to put any rusto on them,
That'll be a fast car with all the fiberglass, I wish I could do that to my car.

Hey but don't let body shops tell you what you're paying. If you prep the car 100% it shouldn't cost you more than 1 grand no matter what base and clear you want.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.